Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 4 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unless there's some major trade surprise, we aren't getting a first ruck or top level KPD, are we?

Melbourne could afford minimal change of their list from 2020 to 2021 as they had 2 genuine rucks already. We could potentially have none in a few weeks.

Imagine round 1, 2022 with Young and Schache changing in the ruck with chopouts from Dunkley, Bont and Macrae. I reckon that's what Bevo meant when he intimated our ruck set up next year would be different!!!
We'll have some additions

I would be shattered to lose English. He was killing it before his concussion.

I think we just have to plan for him playing next year, restrictions easing - therefore people can travel and another good year on and off field for us and him. Make it hard for him to leave us...

Unless someone comes along and offers us Max Gawn for him.....

If we move English on now I would be so pissed. We will have wasted 3 years of our midfields prime by playing this guy as the main ruck when he belonged in the VFL
If he does go, and I think he will, it makes you wonder if it is worth drafting a skinny ruck/key position player, especially one from interstate.

The Ben Brown non selection from 2013 draft continues to haunt us. Wonder how Matt Fuller is going these days?

Every Club has those stories tho...

Brownlow night I asked my Melbourne supporting brother-in-law (*) where Jimmy Toumpas would be watching Wines' speech...

(*) Yes, that does mean my brother-in-law's sister is also a life long Melbourne supporter. Who happened to be at the GF. 😭

Every Club has those stories tho...

Brownlow night I asked my Melbourne supporting brother-in-law (*) where Jimmy Toumpas would be watching Wines' speech...

(*) Yes, that does mean my brother-in-law's sister is also a life long Melbourne supporter. Who happened to be at the GF. 😭

And to think Saints could have had Petracca, Bont and Naughton.
Imagine those three with King.
Ouch!

Melbourne went from missing finals to premiers without any major list changes.
I don't think we need to panic too much.
Also our biggest issue in the Grand final and most of the matches we've lost recently wasn't really structural. We just get smashed it if the middle because our much lauded midfielders are too offensively minded and get pushed if the ball and exposed out the back. Melbourne didn't really get that many clear taps to advantage it was mainly contested ground ball gets. Often little kicks or taps forward catch our mids completely out of position. We really need to get our midfield balance right
If we can add a competitive ruck I feel we can change our midfield structure to be a more flexible arrangement. Baz with another preseason should be injected into the midfield rotations.
Over to you Sammy Power work your magic

Our biggest issue was

-Crozier injured lost form
-Gardner injured twice
-Keath injured twice
-Richards injured twice
-Wood injured thrice
-Bruce injured season
-McLean injured season
-Naughton injured
Vandermeer injured
-Cody concussion
-Dunkley long injury
-Treloar long injury
-Martin long injury
-English long concussion lost form

We simply couldn't stay healthy enough to find any proper consistency. This also doesnt include players like Duryea/Hunter/Libba who all missed games too

Melbourne had a charmed run with injuries which is a massive leg up. Let's see how they fair if they get something like the league average

The Ben Brown non selection from 2013 draft continues to haunt us. Wonder how Matt Fuller is going these days?
Jfc. Surely no one believes Ben Brown was the difference on the weekend?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Some notes:

It's time Beveridge and the coaching staff realize Zaine Cordy cannot be trusted as a Key-Defender. I don't mind him as a player, but he should be fighting guys like Dale, Wood, Crozier, Williams and Duryea for a spot in the team as a medium-sized defender. He regularly struggles in matchups against bigger bodied opponents, and is a very clear weakness in our defence when trusted with those responsibilities.

Might not be a popular opinion, but I think we should consider moving Aaron Naughton back into defence, at least at some point within the next two years. To be an elite forward at AFL level requires a balance of both excitement factor and consistency, and as exciting as he looks at times, he's still inconsistent. It felt like he didn't know how to get into the game during the Grand Final, even with his opponent Steven May struggling, and this is far from the first time. He reminds me of Michael Hurley earlier in his career, who had some exciting games up forward, but never really found consistency until he was finally moved back into defence by Bomber Thompson in 2014. Jeremy McGovern was another similar case.

Melbourne set the bar for defensive structure in 2021 with two tall lockdown defenders (May and Petty) and one interceptor (Lever). I think it makes sense to roll with something similar with Naughton, Keath and Gardner. With Tarrant nominating Richmond as his preferred destination, there is a very thin pool for key-defenders this trade period.

It's time to ask some tough questions with Tim English. Started the season really well as a third tall forward/second ruck, then got concussed, was out for 4 weeks, and was mediocre to poor for the rest of the year. Even when Lewis Young and Stefan Martin started taking the burden of the #1 ruck away from him, he was still largely ineffectual up forward. He's 24 this year, and still getting physically bullied like a 19 year old. He urgently needs to challenge himself in the off-season to amp up his strength and aggression, otherwise I don't think he should be in the best 22.

Stefan Martin should not be on the list next year under any circumstance. His recruitment in the first place was strange considering he only played 8 games for Brisbane in 2020, which included a worst on ground performance in the Preliminary Final. While he was an improvement on English as the #1 ruck, he's just not AFL standard anymore. Got pantsed by Nankervis in round 7, wasn't particularly good against Port in the Preliminary Final and was very poor in the Grand Final. Stefan Martin at his best was a great crash and bash ruckman, but this type of player does not provide much value as a 35 year old.

Things we should target:

AFL-ready ruckmen - One isn't enough either, we need at least two. I'm worried we won't recruit any though, Beveridge is very finicky with ruckmen.

A tall forward - I know a lot of people think it should be a defender here, but I believe Naughton, Keath and Gardner should the the foundation of our defence in 2022. One of the big problems in the Grand Final and the season overall is that we have too many players in the forward line who aren't natural forwards. In the (unlikely) event of Naughton moving back, along with Bruce being out for most of the year, I wouldn't mind us targeting someone like Tom Lynch (ade), Rory Lobb or maybe one of the better state league forwards. Ugle-Hagan should get a long run of games next year.

Small forward(s) - Not sure how many quality options are available, but there is definitely room for improvement here. Weightman is the only player on our list who's shown the capacity to be an elite small forward. Rhylee West should also be given far more opportunities than he was given last year.

Western Bulldogs ruckman Tim English is keen to remain at the club long-term but will wait until midway through next season until considering a new deal.
English was unable to assert himself in the ruck this year and Melbourne’s centre square dominance against the 34-year-old and Stef Martin was critical in the momentum-changing third term.

Kayo is your ticket to the best local and international sport streaming Live & On-Demand. New to Kayo? Start Your Free Trial >

The Dogs are on the lookout for ruck and defensive cover even as they offer Martin another one-year deal to remain at the club.

Port Adelaide ruck-forward Peter Ladhams is contracted but on the market and Geelong is one of several clubs that is aware he is very gettable.

Port ruckman [PLAYERCARD]Peter Ladhams[/PLAYERCARD] is searching for a new club, while Tim English will wait to talk a new deal with the Bulldogs. Picture: AFL Photos/Getty Images

Port ruckman Peter Ladhams is searching for a new club, while Tim English will wait to talk a new deal with the Bulldogs. Picture: AFL Photos/Getty Images
The Cats have a welter of mid-range picks and, despite re-signing Rhys Stanley, would be one club that could benefit from the 23-year-old’s services.

Geelong has a tight cap, given its established stars, but a player like Ladhams, entering the last season of a three-year deal, would not require a massive financial commitment, despite his upside.

The Dogs are yet to register a strong interest in Ladhams, despite their awareness of his desire to play more ruck after being stuck behind Scott Lycett at Port.

English’s partner, Rudi Ellis has just signed a two-year deal to play with the West Coast Fever in the Super Netball competition, but he is keen to remain in Melbourne.

He is happy with his current forward-ruck split and has strong relationships at the Dogs as a long-time housemate of fellow forward Aaron Naughton.

English was smacked in the ruck contest during the grand final. Picture: AFL Photos/Getty Images

English was smacked in the ruck contest during the grand final. Picture: AFL Photos/Getty Images
Fox Footy expert David King was scathing of English’s ruck performance against Max Gawn and Luke Jackson and said the Dogs needed to act swiftly.

“Luke Beveridge has to make the call here. Is this the guy? What he did in the ruck was uncompetitive. Are you living with that? I think you have got to make the call. Stef Martin is a short-term fix. Is he one name you can throw up for trade? He is not going to get much better in the ruck, he’s a known product. These are big problems for the Dogs, they have seen it on the biggest stage, they must act,” he told SEN.

The Herald Sun reported last week Brisbane had asked about ex-Carlton ruckman Levi Casboult, with St Kilda also in the market for a cheap back-up ruckman.

Have we seriously offered Stefan Martin a 1 year deal to stay?

smh...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back