Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 4 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The reason our midfield battled was because our rucks are poo. If Gawn and Jackson are palming it wherever they want you could have Judd, Ablett and Diesel in the guts and it won't make an ounce of difference.
We have to adapt or get left behind, on Saturday there was no adapting. I didn't see one of our blokes starting to smack into Gawn other than Daniel on the boundary line. I saw no physical intimidation. I saw meekness.

Are you saying we’re linked to Lloyd Meek from freo???!!!??

Would love the club to announce some of the rather formality type re-signings and delistings in the next day or two. Really helps narrow down the possibilities for the upcoming trade window, and one would assume these decisions have already been made.

Probably wait until after the B&F is held.

OK, we all hate Barratt but I recall a recent interesting comment from him.

Went something like this:

Don't underestimate the effect of state lockdowns this season on players etc and expect some surprise trades with players wanting to return home.

Maybe they may be some surprise opportunities to get some Vics home?

Write Timmy off if you like you’ll look very stupid though. Was playing some awesome footy early this year, he’ll get there. He’s obviously not a ruck but he doesn’t need to be to be a very very good utility - it’s just about using him right.

Was told by a very reliable source the concussion really unsettled him.

I seriously think let’s not panic and make wholesale changes.

Melbourne didn’t make finals last year, so they started their pre season early to get those fitness levels up, safe to say that won’t happen in 2022, so back to the pack they come along with a much tougher fixture. Expect more interstate travel for them too.

As for us, we got games into Garcia, Scott, McNeil, Flea, Schache which is going to hold us in good stead. English was going well in the ruck until he copped that concussion, Louis did ok as a stop gap. It’s our midfield that we need to rejig a bit, put in Treloar and Smith to bring speed. Smith is our midfield bull.

Guys on The Exchange raised that we probably still need a pressure small forward, highlighting that Weightman doesn’t play as a small.

I tend to agree.

Hannan had a great finals series but his limitations were on show again in the GF. He goes to ground far to easily which essentially means we are a player down when we need to be applying the most pressure.

I seriously think let’s not panic and make wholesale changes.

Melbourne didn’t make finals last year, so they started their pre season early to get those fitness levels up, safe to say that won’t happen in 2022, so back to the pack they come along with a much tougher fixture. Expect more interstate travel for them too.

As for us, we got games into Garcia, Scott, McNeil, Flea, Schache which is going to hold us in good stead. English was going well in the ruck until he copped that concussion, Louis did ok as a stop gap. It’s our midfield that we need to rejig a bit, put in Treloar and Smith to bring speed. Smith is our midfield bull.
I agree we don’t need to panic. But unless we address our ruck situation, it will be more of the same.

Get a quality ruck and we could very well claim to be the best team in the league.

Guys on The Exchange raised that we probably still need a pressure small forward, highlighting that Weightman doesn’t play as a small.

I tend to agree.

Hannan had a great finals series but his limitations were on show again in the GF. He goes to ground far to easily which essentially means we are a player down when we need to be applying the most pressure.
Yeah I think so too. A good ground ball player who can pick it up on the run. Cody can do it but his 1-wood is his marking, they don’t grow on trees but someone in the Pickett mold to complement him would be brilliant

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mate, love your passion but Tim is never playing back. Imagine him against a physical monster forward..
You're right that doesn't sound great, but maybe Keathy could take that role and Timmy as the interceptor.
Just trying to think outside of the box with the asset's we currently have.

Why re-sign a player who was banished from the squad in round 11? Even when English was struggling badly, we still opted for a completely unproven, incapable ruckman Lewis Young.

I think if anything fires up again with Dunkley wanting to go to Essendon - I think the Bombers need to know Draper and picks are on the table before we even consider anything

If Dunkley doesn't go - I think the Lipinski to Collingwood deal must revolve around a player swap with Mason Cox

English to West Coast or Freo could revolve around draft picks

I tend to agree.

The player on our list is VDM. After watching the Port game again, his pressure throughout the first 3 quarters was simply outstanding.

He will have to go to the extra level in regards to preparation to try and rid himself of his injury history. It would be great if he could get a little bit cleaner too and become a 20-30 goal a year player.

The reason our midfield battled was because our rucks are poo. If Gawn and Jackson are palming it wherever they want you could have Judd, Ablett and Diesel in the guts and it won't make an ounce of difference.
We have to adapt or get left behind, on Saturday there was no adapting. I didn't see one of our blokes starting to smack into Gawn other than Daniel on the boundary line. I saw no physical intimidation. I saw meekness.

Have another look. It was only Jackson when the game changed in the 3rd. It’s not like he got every hit out either straight to the midfield or that opposition ruck dominance hasn’t been a problem before Saturday. We have worked around this often. The midfield knew this and didn’t set up correctly. 3 goals in 50 seconds? That’s the game.
Martin did well to compete against Gawn but English was terrible against both.
Macrae usually gets 30+. Libba was down, Dunkley poor. Hunter and Smith average.
We need a good ruck option but the midfield let us down more than the rucks.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back