Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 6 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

not to mention Marras extremely close family ties to Vic, his brother will be at the club soon in the academy, a partner who runs a local business etc. I’m sure his manager is playing it up but is it a real risk? I’m not sure it is tbh but again we’ll see
I agree with what you're saying but if the difference in contract offers is as much as several million dollars, I'm sure family ties become far less of a staying factor.

At the end of the day he remains our player and we have a long season's worth of time to get him across the line so even with a so called 'uphill battle' we have to be in the box seat still.

I don’t doubt they’ll have a crack but how are they getting a trade done? We’re not accepting a couple of late first rounders, there’s no FA or PSD risk. Is Marra staying at a club he loves on very very good money or taking his chance in the draft? Or would Sydney be trading a genuine star to get him across and if so who?

How do they even have serious money to burn, and not to mention Marras extremely close family ties to Vic, his brother will be at the club soon in the academy, a partner who runs a local business etc. I’m sure his manager is playing it up but is it a real risk? I’m not sure it is tbh but again we’ll see
Same could be said of most clubs I guess. At the end of the day if he is out of contract, it’s all a negotiation between those clubs to reach an agreed value.

I think those ties become less important when we’re dealing with that type of money. It’s a bundle where you can comfortably say ‘okay let’s all relocate here for this opportunity that won’t come again’.

Conversely he may have the sense to consult someone about the costs of living up here in Sydney. A south Yarra 5 bedder sets you back half the price of a shithole knockdown rebuild in Manly or Maroubra. A lot of that contract is gonna be spent on the cost of living which isn’t understated here. All a balancing act I guess.

We won’t be getting out of it cheaply either way. He will be our highest paid player.

I’ll lose all trust in player loyalty if Marra goes for $$$.

It’ll be a lot of money, but I just can’t see him leaving. Best mates with Bont, good head on his shoulders.

Not denying SB’s mail, just think it may have been over stated by his mail man to temper expectations.

With Smith gone, we can stretch for Marra’s salary. Even send English on his way as well.

I just hope the media don’t catch wind that he’s possibly leaving. Can you imagine the pressure on the club each week JFC.

I’ll lose all trust in player loyalty if Marra goes for $$$.

It’ll be a lot of money, but I just can’t see him leaving. Best mates with Bont, good head on his shoulders.
Dunkley was best mates with Treloar. Enough dollars can tempt anyone.

Well, that’s taken the jam out of my donut.

I thought JUH had already signed & was expecting the announcement next week before our first game as a final boost.

Smith I fear we won’t get his true value, but Hawks first simply has to be included along with add ons.

I don’t doubt they’ll have a crack but how are they getting a trade done? We’re not accepting a couple of late first rounders, there’s no FA or PSD risk. Is Marra staying at a club he loves on very very good money or taking his chance in the draft? Or would Sydney be trading a genuine star to get him across and if so who?

How do they even have serious money to burn, and not to mention Marras extremely close family ties to Vic, his brother will be at the club soon in the academy, a partner who runs a local business etc. I’m sure his manager is playing it up but is it a real risk? I’m not sure it is tbh but again we’ll see
That's a point. I'm wanting 2 top 6 picks for Marra!

We’d still be a good position for the future in the event that Smith & English left. It’s less than ideal but we’d probably end up with $1.6 million in cap space + 2 additional first rounders. The emergence of Darcy & Sanders would ease the blow significantly.

JUH is a must keep at all costs. I wouldn’t be shocked if he kicked 60 goals this year and became a top 10 player in the comp within 2 years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We’d still be a good position for the future in the event that Smith & English left. It’s less than ideal but we’d probably end up with $1.6 million in cap space + 2 additional first rounders. The emergence of Darcy & Sanders would ease the blow significantly.

JUH is a must keep at all costs. I wouldn’t be shocked if he kicked 60 goals this year and became a top 10 player in the comp within 2 years.
A lot of media outlets and podcasts already running with him as the #1 forward in the comp which is odd. On potential maybe but I’m still backing Greene in as streets ahead in the rankings for a few years.

Hate to be all doom and gloom, but losing Dunkley, Smith, JUH and still battling to sign English would set us right back and likely be the end of contention for Libba / Treloar maybe even Bont. Can only lose so many of your stars before it really starts to hurt on-field. Hopefully just posturing to try and get a few more dollars out of the Dogs but doesn't leave us feeling great...

Who cares. Players come and go and it will only get worse in the future as the AFL executive are obsessed with American sports models.

I can handle players leaving as long as the club has its house in order and it’s all about the money. Players leaving due to poor coach relations etc is a different issue though.

If you know Smith is leaving to go to Hawks then I hope he enjoyed watching the game on the weekend.

A lot of media outlets and podcasts already running with him as the #1 forward in the comp which is odd. On potential maybe but I’m still backing Greene in as streets ahead in the rankings for a few years.
He’s nowhere near that on current exposed form but at the same time I don’t think anyone on this board would be surprised if he exploded into that realm.

JUH looks absolutely primed this year. From all reports he hasn’t missed a single session.

Who cares. Players come and go and it will only get worse in the future as the AFL executive are obsessed with American sports models.

I can handle players leaving as long as the club has its house in order and it’s all about the money. Players leaving due to poor coach relations etc is a different issue though.

If you know Smith is leaving to go to Hawks then I hope he enjoyed watching the game on the weekend.

Spot on

A player leaving should say everything about the player and not the club.

Must have our house in order to maximise chances of retention of our stars.

Well, that’s taken the jam out of my donut.

I thought JUH had already signed & was expecting the announcement next week before our first game as a final boost.

Smith I fear we won’t get his true value, but Hawks first simply has to be included along with add ons.
If Hawks have a bad year they’ll probably offer their future 1st which becomes a bit of a raffle.

Sydney and Richmond are going hard
Seeing how we go this year and deciding to head to Richmond who are at the end of the their window and will very likely be down the bottom end rebuilding the next few years, wouldn't make a ton of sense.

Sydney always lurking trying to pinch other team's players so definitely a threat, hopefully the Melbourne factor plays into things a lot.

My initial hope / thought is it's still his management fielding other offers and making the Dogs sweat a bit, extracting every dollar they can like all good managers do. Would be devastated to lose Marra.

We would surely have a good chunk of previously allocated $ available if we lose all of these guys. Would love for us to be the aggressors in the big fish market for a change. A huge contract at Mccluggage would be nice, at worst Brisbane has to be more to lose him and pushes some other players out.

Think people will be in for a rude shock to see what Smith will go for off of a poor year and then a year out with an ACL.
My mail although not from player management like smiley's is still saying Jamarra almost done. Smith in good faith talks for a short contract depending on rehab and English likely gone.

Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 6 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back