Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 6 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Yes he is. He’s not fast but Weitering is treacle slow. Would be one of the slowest players in the AFL.
Weirdly, the FB we chased really hard (Sam Collins) is probably even slower than Weitering.

Overpaid in what context??

He has attributes other clubs envy so they put obscene offers to him. We do have to recognise those offers are there, don't and he is no longer our player and we never replace him as we are not a club that brings his type of player in.

2 years is ideal for both parties. He either develops and then is paid for more years, or he moves on for the dollars as he has not developed as expected so we get something for him.

Every club receives the funds for the salary cap from AFL distributions. The list managers role is to keep all players you want to keep under the cap, which is increasing rapidly. What was obscene is the new normal

On SM-S926B using BigFooty.com mobile app
He's overpaid vs his peers' production who are on the same money currently. Not to say he couldn't perform up to the level. He has the athletic tools.

I'm the biggest advocate of basically forking out the cash for elite players and worrying about the cap later. No issue with naughton's deal for example.

Despite the cap increases we are still looking like spending a huge portion of said cap on the forward line and looking like paupers when it comes to the backline. Funnily enough the backline is where we actually need the most help, and urgently.

The forward line is also going to be horrendously expensive considering the lack of any discernible plan for forward 50 entries against a half decent side.

As I said in last week's autopsy, we seemingly have a lot of millionaire players or players due million dollar deals for a team who is woefully inconsistent when it comes to actual performance.

He's overpaid vs his peers' production who are on the same money currently. Not to say he couldn't perform up to the level. He has the athletic tools.

I'm the biggest advocate of basically forking out the cash for elite players and worrying about the cap later. No issue with naughton's deal for example.

Despite the cap increases we are still looking like spending a huge portion of said cap on the forward line and looking like paupers when it comes to the backline. Funnily enough the backline is where we actually need the most help, and urgently.

The forward line is also going to be horrendously expensive considering the lack of any discernible plan for forward 50 entries against a half decent side.

As I said in last week's autopsy, we seemingly have a lot of millionaire players or players due million dollar deals for a team who is woefully inconsistent when it comes to actual performance.
He mentioned after the game he signed with us for unders. Reported $1.2m pa on the table from two other clubs.

The short-term memory is incredible. Jamarra had top 10 shots and top 10 marks inside 50 for any player last year at the grand old age of 21.

All of the players ranked higher than Jamarra were also older than him. Even if there's no necessary expectation of Jamarra improving despite his age (which he should), the young age itself lends itself to a longer career and greater total output for the respective careers.

In other words, if you were to project the total career shots on goal for any player in the league from now until they retire, there's not many players that you would nominate ahead of Jamarra. He'd be in the top 3-5.

Presumably many people think that the goalkicking inaccuracy is either a random blip, or a skill that is relatively easy to improve relative to other skills (you can't just magic up a player to improve their pack marking inside 50).

I agree that some of the pre-season media praise of Jamarra was a bit over the top, but downplaying the idea of Jamarra not being a player that demands a lot of money or is highly valuable and will be in the future is a bit silly. Don't let two games in the immediate aftermath of personal leave cloud judgement.

Marra missed two weeks and has come back out of form, but he’s still third in the comp for average marks inside 50 and sixth for average contested marks. Plus he’s averaging 1.7 goals per game. His form before the time off was really good. I feel like that’s been forgotten really quickly.
Even with Marra missing (tbf thats the most dogs thing possible)
his impact around the ground is great

his workrate is back to normal and really blends well with Darcy and Naughton when x plays high and y stays back

Marra missed two weeks and has come back out of form, but he’s still third in the comp for average marks inside 50 and sixth for average contested marks. Plus he’s averaging 1.7 goals per game. His form before the time off was really good. I feel like that’s been forgotten really quickly.
That is soooo BF. The goldfish syndrome.

In terms of list build we are much closer to a refresh of the midfield than I thought we were only a few weeks ago. This is how I see it. Firstly, there is the Bont. Sanders will in short time be elite. With the emergence of Richards and if we can keep Baz (a big if) then all of a sudden we have a youthful, speedy and tough mix of quality inside and outside mids and this doesn’t include Libba who is probably the most underrated player in the comp as well as Trelor. Rotations can include Garcia, gallagher and Harmes. Overall a great mix of speed, youth, experience, mongrel and quality. I think we can even cover the loss of Baz, particularly if we use whatever picks we get for him on a quality mid.
This all means we can focus on KPD as CC will take one of the small forward roles based on his VFL output, leaving us with CC, West and Weightman as small forwards.

I don't think the club will bottom out for a while. Richards in the middle solves a big problem. Just need some of the young KPD's to start showing a bit.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jacob Konstanty still hasn’t re-signed with Sydney and might be let go. Would be worth picking up if cheap. Was a tackling machine at half forward in CTL.

He and Clarke were same draft, both small forwards but a bit different as players, with Konstanty being a more high pressure player. Wanted both then, would love both now.

A future rotation of Cody, West, Clarke and Konstanty would actually be the perfect mix of the pressure, skill and speed needed in modern day forward lines

If they all reach their potential then it would be pretty good. Ideally would want a player with lightning pace in there though, which none of them have.

McNeil is a definite delist at this stage so if we can bring in a high pressure small forward that has 2 years development on board definitely worth a throw at the stumps with Konstanty
Agree on McNeil especially given a number of the other seemingly obvious candidates have contracts beyond this year and no-one will trade for them, namely Poulter (2025), Scott (2025), A.Jones (2025), Baker (2025) and Gardner (2026).

Shocked Geelong hasn't signed him already

I would easily throw a 4 year offer to Tyson Stengle

It's being handle by Eddie Betts wife who is working a deal with Geelong on behalf of Stengle.

How big is the block and how many Ford Ranger’s will be parked on it once he re-signs?

The more this year progresses I will be happy if Tim signs for 4 years and Bailey Smith for from 2 to 4 years.

Tim in tandem with Darcy are a dangerous combination. We still have Croft and Smith coming through so Lobb is then expendable if the right trade comes through for both parties. If not he is amazing depth.

Bailey Smith wants midfield minutes, our midfield needs pace and a hard worker. The opportunity is there for both.

If we do not get a 1st rounder this year so be it but build up our second round picks to bring in young talent

On SM-S926B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back