Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 6 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Highly unlikely Sam Power will add a Future First Rounder he has never done it.
He’s never had to. He needs to turn 10 and 17 into something worthwhile. I suspect the club is completely over rating the list and backing themselves to bounce back significantly next year.
I’m not saying I would do it but I guess it’s now or never for the Bont so maybe being brave at the trade table is the way. We haven’t really made any exciting moves like this previously, partly due to JUH and Darcy.

Pick 17 needs to be traded for a future first.

Pick 10 to North or Dees for future picks.

We settle for Croft (bid likely at pick 8, Bombers).

Then have a big draft next year.

Croft is too good to pass up and the cost of pick 4 is probably too high.
Who is going to give a F1 for 17 that will end up in the 20s?

No what
We have a good list that needs spark
Get Watson will win best first year player
Pay it we have the best forwards on the planet
Weigtman naughty is enough to win games
Add Bont and libba
Please

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's not always a first but you can get good value in futures. In 2019 Geelong got GC's future first priority pick for pick 27, in 2020 Richmond traded pick 20 for Geelong's future first, last year Sydney got 27 and a future second and future third for 18.

The problem is that it mostly happens on draft night when a team wants to get back into the draft and I believe once Croft is bid on we can no longer trade out 17. I would look into packaging 17 and a future second for a future first which could be risky.

You might get offered that as a live trade if someone slides (i.e if a player at #10 on a clubs board is still there at #20) but that doesn’t help us at all. I think you’re right, best you can hope for is one of North’s new picks or a F2 from a low team and then that probably shifts out to 25-30 next year.

Would you do #10 and #17 for North’s F2 + 2 x future PPs?

The hill came up very quickly for Haynes. He's effectively a monster dead salary for the next couple of years.

I thought Haynes was solid this year. His first half of the year was the best he’s played since he made AA in 2020, would’ve been close to leading intercept possessions and intercept marks in the first 8 weeks or so.

Its just that Himmelberg wasn’t contributing forward and is now better at the role that Haynes was playing, as the third tall/interceptor. Don’t think there is a real way to fit them both into the same backline with Taylor, Buckley and Idun already there who have all become brilliant players.

I think he has some good footy left in him still. He is 32yo at the start of next season, and is owed $1.2m apparently of his back ended contract, so it would be a brave team to pick him up.

My only issue with that is it would be hard to hide assistant coaches for all of the preseason
Yeah, it's impossible, no idea what they're on about if they think we're gonna just do a pre-season launch and just go ''oh yeah BTW here are our new assistant coaches''

For all the people saying that we might be bad next year, we'll be losing JUH and Naughton and Baz if that is the case, as well as wasting Bont and Libba. Our squad is too good to be a bottom 4 team. So why not risk the future 1st and go hard and start plugging these holes immediately.
If it was an established player of need I wouldn’t have an issue with a future 1st. Issue is it’s unlikely whichever 18 year old we move up to draft will meaningfully impact our performance next season. They might never get there drafting is almost a crapshoot

Remove this Banner Ad

Back