Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 6 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

For those who follow the draft who in this years pool would be most similar to Adam Cooney in terms of style/plays like?

IMO we need a player with Adam Cooney attributes -speed, burst speed, sound foot skills and takes the game on.
Baz

Not sure why some don’t want Harmes. Easily gets a game, and gives us attributes we lack in our midfield (hardness and pace). If he’s among our worst players in the best 22, we’re doing much better than previous years.

Harmes and Coffield both improve us, and will cost little in terms of cap space and picks. It’s a no-brainer for me
If Harmes is playing in the midfield who's missing out? You'll end up with significantly decreased outputs from pure midfielders again playing at half forward. Harmes wasn't deemed good enough to be considered for a spot in Melbourne's finals team with a similar midfield mix. Unless a midfielder is leaving it doesn't make any sense currently.

If Harmes is playing in the midfield who's missing out? You'll end up with significantly decreased outputs from pure midfielders again playing at half forward. Harmes wasn't deemed good enough to be considered for a spot in Melbourne's finals team with a similar midfield mix. Unless a midfielder is leaving it doesn't make any sense currently.
Something needs to change from our 2023 setup. Maybe it means more time on the wing for Baz/Treloar, or maybe we’re chasing him because of expecting to lose Baz in the first place. We may end up resting Libba more often, or lose someone to a major injury. There’s so many factors in play, but you always need quality depth in all positions to account for issues with injury and form.

Our most recent midfield setups have lacked defensive edge, and have been fairly one paced. Harmes helps address this, even if only for 7 or 8 CBAs per game.

Click on first link

“It really depends, to be honest. I’ve still got a little bit of time to decide, and talk to family [about] if I’m going to declare father-son,” Croft said. “I’ve always grown up going for the Bulldogs, so it would be an honour to play for that club, if they were going to take me. I just want to be able to play footy, wherever that is, whether that’s interstate or in Melbourne.”

Melbournes stacked with quick aggressive inside players, ie Trac, Oliver, Viney - we have one in Libba and he’s not quick. Not saying our midfielders are bad or Harmes is better, but you want roll players that are different to your core and compliment them. Harmes compliments our midfielders, but he definitely doesn’t have a spot in Melbournes

For those who follow the draft who in this years pool would be most similar to Adam Cooney in terms of style/plays like?

IMO we need a player with Adam Cooney attributes -speed, burst speed, sound foot skills and takes the game on.

Charlie Edwards I think fits that description more so then anyone else in the draft. Tall midfielder, quick with a good burst, skillful and takes the game on. Tad raw at the moment due to cricket commitments and was a late starter this year. Doubt we'll have any chance of getting him though as he's in that 15-30 range.

Watson does have the above listed attributes, but is smaller and very different to a Cooney type.

Not sure why some don’t want Harmes. Easily gets a game, and gives us attributes we lack in our midfield (hardness and pace). If he’s among our worst players in the best 22, we’re doing much better than previous years.

Harmes and Coffield both improve us, and will cost little in terms of cap space and picks. It’s a no-brainer for me

I don’t think Harmes easily gets a game. He was struggling to get a game at Melbourne with Oliver out and Petracca spending a large amount of the game forward with Fritsch also out. Sparrow and Jordon were largely preferred to him with Viney and Brayshaw obviously also ahead of him.

He’s absolutely fine as the 24th player on the list in a sort of Jarryd Lyons role, who only really got game time when Dunkley was out, but he’s probably going to get paid as a 15th player on the list and is more likely to play a McComb role at half forward rather than a proper midfield role.

Something needs to change from our 2023 setup. Maybe it means more time on the wing for Baz/Treloar, or maybe we’re chasing him because of expecting to lose Baz in the first place. We may end up resting Libba more often, or lose someone to a major injury. There’s so many factors in play, but you always need quality depth in all positions to account for issues with injury and form.

Our most recent midfield setups have lacked defensive edge, and have been fairly one paced. Harmes helps address this, even if only for 7 or 8 CBAs per game.
My only issue with Harmes is you just know this coaching panels grand plan will be to play him at half forward (probably in place of West) and add him to the midfield rotations and keep the rest of the setup exactly the same, further diluting our midfielders minutes and not at all really balancing the mix better.

Ideally if he comes in we need to lose a midfielder completely from the mix.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bont to the wing and kicks 50

Picks 38, 46, 51 and 67 gives us 1124 points which is enough to match a bid at pick 10 for Croft. We may have been given warning of an early bid hence why we have done what we did. 2 top 10 picks is a good outcome.

Use the future 3rd from GC for Harmes. Coffield may only be a junk pick given injuries and out of contract, say pick 70.

Sweet trade may give us enough for Lual.

Not sure what we do to trade for someone else (e.g. Ginnivan).

Last edited:
First line of his bio on the Demons website, no bloody wonder we want him :rolleyes:

James Harmes’ versatility may be his biggest strength as a footballer.”

Picks 38, 46, 51 and 67 gives us 1124 points which is enough to match a bid at pick 10 for Croft. We may have been given warning of an early bid hence why we have done what we did. 2 top 10 picks is a good outcome.

Use the future 3rd from GC for Harmes. Coffield may only be a junk pick given injuries and out of contract, say pick 70.

Sweet trade may give us enough for Lual.

Not sure what we do to trade for someone else (e.g. Ginnivan).

GC will have matched 2-3 bids by the time a Croft bid comes, so all of our picks should be 4-6 picks higher by the time we use them to match. Could get lucky and he slides a bit and we’re able to match Croft with 38 & 46.

I’d say the Sweet pick goes for Coffield and Harmes will be a token late one.

Any interest in Billings?

Always loved his ability to kick the ball. He's never reached his potential and I have no idea why that would be, but with a change of scenery and a bit more maturity he might be a good fit.

I think our forwards would enjoy it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back