Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 6 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

The irony in all of this is the early years Bevo mantra of players needing to be able to play practically anywhere, in the event they need to be moved around mid-game due to injuries or needing a tactical change-up. We saw some rogue s**t for a few years.

These days we generally just see the same players in the same roles for a whole game. There is very little evidence of a secondary role for the vast majority of players.

If Naughton can’t get a sniff or is being controlled by someone like May (or Collins this weekend), put him on the ball for 5 minutes to break things up a bit. It’s gotta be better than Easton Wood the key forward which was apparently worth trying.
The flip side of our frustration with Dunkley and Cordy getting thrown in the ruck is that the solution has been Lobb. He is actually tall enough but doesn’t offer much elsewhere most of the time.

I sometimes wonder if it’s worth throwing Naughton in there. His agility and intensity might sort of work there and we could have an extra small. Suspect they see the risk of injury being too high.

So happy to keep Jamarra, would prefer long term but even a short term commitment for now is great, and pretty understandable. I hope it's 4 years at least though to really lock him away for now and not worry about this again next year.
I guess the positive if shorter is he won't be a free agent when he come out so we'd have to be offered a huge deal to agree.

I'd be happier to sign Jamarra to 2 years rather than 4. Once he hits free agency the offers will be through the roof because teams won't have to trade and we'll only get free agency compensation which will be peanuts with the Tasmanian team concessions.
At least after 2 years teams will still have to trade for him and contracts might be more reasonable.

Look at Melbournes numbers

View attachment 1932839

Compared to ours:

View attachment 1932840

Melbourne obviously aren’t playing their best players only 60-70% game time in the middle because they’re trying to ‘develop younger players’ they’re doing it because realistically thats the most any mid should be playing most weeks, not 90%
Goes a long way to explaining why we fail so often in the first week of finals because we are so cooked by that stage of the season. With that kind of repeated workload across the season.

Nothing left to find and extra gear when it's needed! When the intensity ramps up and there is just nothing left to give.

Interestingly one of the recent articles stated offers for English were about 1m/yr and he could accept less to stay with us.

The salary cap is going to rise substantially over the life of any longer deal so English at say 850k/yr would be decent value.

Goes a long way to explaining why we fail so often in the first week of finals because we are so cooked by that stage of the season. With that kind of repeated workload across the season.

Nothing left to find and extra gear when it's needed! When the intensity ramps up and there is just nothing left to give.
Our best football in recent memory coincided with us having the deepest list of midfielders, and rotating through the centre more than any other team in the comp.
We've gone completely the other way now and rotate less than just about every other team. I'm really not a fan.

Our best football in recent memory coincided with us having the deepest list of midfielders, and rotating through the centre more than any other team in the comp.
We've gone completely the other way now and rotate less than just about every other team. I'm really not a fan.
At the risk of self-immolating in frustration, we also haven’t been developing any new ones.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think with his omission this week we can stamp the Lobb experiment a failure.

It follows other tall acquisitions of the Bevo era:
  • Boyd (qualified success)
  • Cloke (fail)
  • Schache (fail)
  • Trengove (fail)
  • Bruce (some success)
  • Keath (some success)
  • Martin (fail)
  • Jones (success)

Generally our efforts to recruit talls from elsewhere have been underwhelming. Ironically our home grown talls have worked.

• Cloke (fail)
  • Schache (fail)
  • Trengove (fail)
  • Bruce (some success)
  • Keath (some success)
  • Martin (fail)
  • Jones (success)

Generally our efforts to recruit talls from elsewhere have been underwhelming. Ironically our home grown talls have worked.
Surely Bruce can go down as a Success almost won a Coleman and without the ACL injury we probably wouldn't have lost the grand final. . . By as much.

Surely Bruce can go down as a Success almost won a Coleman and without the ACL injury we probably wouldn't have lost the grand final. . . By as much.
People tend to forget just how good Bruce and Keath were in 2021. I'm still convinced if he didn't do his ACL that would of been our third premiership.

I said ‘some success’ because his 2020 was very so so and he was injured for the most part of 2022 and 2023. I agree his 2021 was excellent and I think the trade was a fine move. Just unlucky.

People tend to forget just how good Bruce and Keath were in 2021. I'm still convinced if he didn't do his ACL that would of been our third premiership.
Still, Keath dropped off far more quickly after two good years with the club, and Bruce's underperformance relative to expectations in 2020 he had just had a couple of excellent years at the Saints was highly disappointing (though COVID weirdness makes that a bit defensible).

They played excellent football for us but for blokes being recruited in their mid 20's the idea is that they could/should be mainstay best 22 selections for several years until at least their early 30's. The fact that they weren't has left us a little bit vunerable, especially as the draft picks we outlayed for those players, while a much higher chance to never play a meaningful season for the Dogs, would have been at the age where they'd be becoming some of our best players if they'd developed well.

Still, Keath dropped off far more quickly after two good years with the club, and Bruce's underperformance relative to expectations in 2020 he had just had a couple of excellent years at the Saints was highly disappointing (though COVID weirdness makes that a bit defensible).

They played excellent football for us but for blokes being recruited in their mid 20's the idea is that they could/should be mainstay best 22 selections for several years until at least their early 30's. The fact that they weren't has left us a little bit vunerable, especially as the draft picks we outlayed for those players, while a much higher chance to never play a meaningful season for the Dogs, would have been at the age where they'd be becoming some of our best players if they'd developed well.
I don’t really mind the punt with those two. If Bruce had played and we’d won the 2021 GF we’d probably say it was a master stroke.

We have given up a lot of second and third round picks and cap room over the years though with those two, Schache, Treloar, Lobb etc. It’s limited our options in the draft, which is why we’re calling in the likes of VDM and McNeil.

I don’t really mind the punt with those two. If Bruce played and we’d won the 2021 GF we’d probably say it was a master stroke.

We have given up a lot of second and third round picks and cap room over the years though with those two, Schache, Treloar, Lobb etc. It’s limited our options in the draft, which is why we’re calling in the likes of VDM and McNeil.
Of course. Not questioning the decision making process at all by the club. Just that the overall success of the strategy has turned out to be less effective than what it appeared it would in those stages. Alex Keath was just 28 but had a late start to footy when we recruited him, there was no reason to think he wouldn't have had roughly just as good as a season as a 33 year old in 2025 as he would in 2020.

Of course. Not questioning the decision making process at all by the club. Just that the overall success of the strategy has turned out to be less effective than what it appeared it would in those stages. Alex Keath was just 28 but had a late start to footy when we recruited him, there was no reason to think he wouldn't have had roughly just as good as a season as a 33 year old in 2025 as he would in 2020.
I think a lot of us thought given their age a fourth year for both was probably optimistic anyway. They were fine.

It is stark just how many mature key position players we’ve recruited over the years. Often they’ve seemed surplus to requirements at the time too. Unfortunately Lobb is probably on track to be the worst.

It would have massively altered Melbourne's defefensive structure with a fit a firing Bruce he had the strength to go with May.
It's a shame that we didn't get to see it but that is the vagaries of football

Keath and Bruce were acquired for peanuts. Keath was an interceptor who had to play lock down for us by necessity and Bruce could kick straight and provide much needed guidance in our forward 50.

• Cloke (fail)
  • Schache (fail)
  • Trengove (fail)
  • Bruce (some success)
  • Keath (some success)
  • Martin (fail)
  • Jones (success)

I forgot to add O’Brien (fail).

We’ve done better on the smalls front.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back