Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 6 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

For goals kicked, sure. But if your measuring stick for a midfielder is kicking 3.5 goals a game then I don’t know what to tell you, he’d win the Coleman with that. All players have spike games, two of his best just happen to have been back to back and in finals. That’s a good thing, I feel like you’re holding it against him for some reason.

Only point I’m trying to make is that we’re quick to forget just how good Bailey was/can be
As a measuring stick no, it’s his absolute ceiling and one that players usually hit once a year, he just happened to do it in back to back elimination finals so it is the first thing we think of when discussing what he could be.

2022 pre suspension is more the player he is, a great accumulator who can run all day. Even then though he felt like the type of player who needs to get it 35+ times to really feel his impact.

Anyway I want to keep him but on nothing longer than a 2 year deal, the risk of anything longer is far too great for him in my opinion.

I think it would be a lot easier if we talked about contract size in terms of TPP percentage. Eg Tim English’s mooted contract is worth ~6% of the the TPP or slightly over 1/20th. Makes it feel a lot more palatable than $1m for some reason when you know we have draftees and others taking up way less.

God I would love nothing more than the Lions blowing up with Dunks there

Our cultures pretty good now maybe his boring personality is the problem and causes the players around him to act out 😂

Someone on here recently posted comments one of the players had to say about Dunks, implying it was all about him, with his team mates and club a very distant third.

For goals kicked, sure. But if your measuring stick for a midfielder is kicking 3.5 goals a game then I don’t know what to tell you, he’d win the Coleman with that. All players have spike games, two of his best just happen to have been back to back and in finals. That’s a good thing, I feel like you’re holding it against him for some reason.

Only point I’m trying to make is that we’re quick to forget just how good Bailey was/can be
Saying one of our star players is not really that good after all is the first stage of dealing with their imminent departure. We’ve seen it with English a bit too.

Nothing wrong with it really (except that the board’s valuation shifts slightly when the discussion turns to the trade). It’s a coping mechanism for handling loss or disappointment.

The fox took the same attitude when he saw that the grapes were out of his reach.

Last edited:
I can only imagine how our fans would react if an opposition supporter posted this sort of tripe about our club.
I can only imagine that doing a two second google search or BigFooty search would show that my above message was truth, but instead you took the low road and typed out the above message without thinking.

Apology accepted tho, thanks mate :)

Might be a few Brisbane Lions players up for grabs if their playing group is as split as what the circulating rumors are suggesting, that club is about to hit crisis mode.
Explains why Dunks moved up north

That culture 😍😍

Not even rumors, it's now being run with by a few media personalities.

Bunch of Lions lads went to Vegas last off season, cheated on their missues, decided to talk about it via whatsapp group chat, Charlie Cameron forgot that all his iPhone s**t was on the cloud so his missus back home was reading their group chats, she's let other WAGS know. s**t + Fan.

Also Starcevic was dating Lyons sister, the unconfirmed rumor is he cheated on her whilst on the trip.

Lions club officials have had an emergency meeting bout this as of yesterday (good Friday) - more to come over the coming days I suppose.
Reckon the phrase 'what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas' would've been uttered many, many times during that trip too.

Silly boys. Having faith that WhatsApp group chats stay 100% private have bought a lot of people undone.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Explains why Dunks moved up north

That culture 😍😍
Wouldn’t take Dunks back even if he came for free. The only Ostrich with his “head in the sand” is Dunkley and Dunkley Snr thinking that all football clubs don’t have various forms of culture issues.

He left us and gave us a hard swipe on culture issues on the way out, and yes, certain players of ours most certainly enjoyed to much booze and Peruvian marching powder, but to play it off like it was just a Dogs thing was comical.

Let’s see if his a man of his word and now requests another trade due to “culture” issues.

FWIW I did a quick statistical analysis of Bailey Smith's overall form using a mixture of recent form and degrading the values of games before that. Essentially taking an average of his player ratings points from the last 10 game and a lessr weight of games 11-19 ago (ie game 19 ago is 10%, 15 ago is 50% etc).

There's a fair argument that the form he showed by the end of the year was the worst of his career, even worse than when he was playing his literal first games of his career.

His peak was the early games of the 2022 season.

1711762075964.png

476 players played at least 10 games last year (26 players per team average constituting "best 22"). A player ratings point average of just above 8 if translated across the season is good for about 280th in the league among those 476 players, or about the 15th best player in a team. Keep in mind that many of the players ranked below him are key defenders etc. who don't score well on statistical systems.

His decline was pretty easy to see.

FWIW I did a quick statistical analysis of Bailey Smith's overall form using a mixture of recent form and degrading the values of games before that. Essentially taking an average of his player ratings points from the last 10 game and a lessr weight of games 11-19 ago (ie game 19 ago is 10%, 15 ago is 15% etc).

There's a fair argument that the form he showed by the end of the year was the worst of his career, even worse than when he was playing his literal first games of his career.

View attachment 1943861

476 players played at least 10 games last year (26 players per team average constituting "best 22"). A player ratings point average of just above 8 if translated across the season is good for about 280th in the league among those 476 players, or about the 15th best player in a team. Keep in mind that many of the players ranked below him are key defenders etc. who don't score well on statistical systems.

Where abouts does his peak (12-14) land him?

It’s clear he dropped off last year but I’d guess the whole side bar a few players would have seen a similar decline so I’m loathe to solely judge him on it when this team has been poorly coached and underperforming across the board.

We need to get him back to the high standard he’s capable of

FWIW I did a quick statistical analysis of Bailey Smith's overall form using a mixture of recent form and degrading the values of games before that. Essentially taking an average of his player ratings points from the last 10 game and a lessr weight of games 11-19 ago (ie game 19 ago is 10%, 15 ago is 50% etc).

View attachment 1943861

👍
Any chance of including the y axis? I guess it’s got to be games not dates but it would be good to break it into seasons if possible.

It’s clear he dropped off last year but I’d guess the whole side bar a few players would have seen a similar decline so I’m loathe to solely judge him on it when this team has been poorly coached and underperforming across the board.

At around 40th in the league.

Keep in mind though that there's plenty of players (admittedly not many who got there before the age of 22) who also, if you want to isolate some point of time in their career just through 'natural variance', would have also gotten close to/more than that average. Like just to pick a player at random, Jacob Hopper averaged more than Smith at stages in late 2019 and it doesn't mean he's a superstar of the game today.

Reckon the phrase 'what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas' would've been uttered many, many times during that trip too.

Silly boys. Having faith that WhatsApp group chats stay 100% private have bought a lot of people undone.

Reminds me of a good one I heard during the week.

Q. What’s the difference between Las Vegas and Wuhan?

A. What happens in Vegas stays in Vegas!

Possibly more relevantly, he got nine Brownlow votes in the first ten rounds of 2022, then one in the last six rounds after he got back from suspension.

Possibly more relevantly, he got nine Brownlow votes in the first ten rounds of 2022, then one in the last six rounds after he got back from suspension.
Yep. I'm not saying Smith is a poor player or no chance of returning to the best footy that he has displayed in his past.

Just that ... consistently, it better to treat the players their form, and assume what is the best predictor for their future success is obviously their most recent form and not some distant form in the past.

If we're going by the default assumption that Smith will return to how good he was, then we need to be fair and equally apply that to every player, and also assume that they'll return to how good they were.

Will Jacob Hopper be one of the game's best onballers for Richmond for the rest of the season, like he has been in spurts at GWS? Nobody is saying that, because we are doing the common sense thing of judging him on his most recent form (obviously).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back