Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 6 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

In the 7 commentary box with ex-Collingwood forward Brian Taylor.

Baz to Collingwood confirmed.
As a bit of an unrelated but related matter, on radio commentary a few weeks ago, BT kept alluding to the fact that a certain high profile player would be on the move to Collingwood at seasons end but wouldn't give up anything further.

He sounded pretty certain and I don't see why he would make things up. It wouldn't take many guesses to figure out who I'm assuming he was referring to...

As a bit of an unrelated but related matter, on radio commentary a few weeks ago, BT kept alluding to the fact that a certain high profile player would be on the move to Collingwood at seasons end but wouldn't give up anything further.

He sounded pretty certain and I don't see why he would make things up. It wouldn't take many guesses to figure out who I'm assuming he was referring to...
Tim English?

i would say no but curious if anyone would be tempted.

Naughton signed and Darcy wouldn't leave.

If Hawks offered 1st pick this year (looking like top 4) and first next year for Jamarra would anyone do it?
I wouldn't but there's going to come a time where we will question the resources we've invested in certain areas of the ground.

There's a significant chance that in 3 years time we'll be spending $1 million+ each on English, Naughton, JUH & Darcy. Given each club will still probably only carry 4-5 million dollar players with the cap rise, it will an interesting conundrum to say the least.

I wouldn't but there's going to come a time where we will question the resources we've invested in certain areas of the ground.

There's a significant chance that in 3 years time we'll be spending $1 million+ each on English, Naughton, JUH & Darcy. Given each club will still probably only carry 4-5 million dollar players with the cap rise, it will an interesting conundrum to say the least.
Naughton won't be on a million a year unless he hits triggers/bonuses that would mean he's in the form that we're happy for a million a year

I’m not sure it’s an issue though. Good teams can carry plenty role players in one area of the ground if they’re dominant in another. The mid-2000s Eagles got away with Quentin Lynch and Ash Hansen as their key forwards because they were so dominant / “over-invested” in the midfield.

At the moment Darcy/Jamarra are not there yet so we still rely on important mids and backs but in time they could get there.

BT could say that every year and 90% of the time he will be correct. It's not exactly a big call - one of the safest bets in the AFL. Name names BT ... and then I'll be impressed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I mean, I don't think the media has the ability to understand the fact that Bont can be frustrated but also not be contemplating leaving.

As captain of the club, I'd be more concerned if he wasn't frustrated and opening dialogue with key members of the club and how we can improve.

Exactly. But where we are now is any disappointment, frustration, side eye or anger puts that player in the middle of trade discussion which is day in day out 365 days a year now. Some journos I'm convinced think it's more important than the actual games.

Also, on Smith, if he wants to go, then fine. I'm over the circus already and if he's going to stuff around by giving no answers all year, then just get the maximum for him and move on. Nobody is irreplaceable, except Bont.

Last edited:
It's dissapointing we can't have a year of Smith in this slightly tweaked system we are currently playing. The speed and gut running the team is trying to play suits him well. Once he can kick again on his right foot post op he needs to really hone in that 20 to 30m dart non stop. If he could kick inside 50 well he would be fantastic. It's weird as his first year or two he was a great kick

The feeling was Dunkley was leaving,and their was a certain coolness from the players towards him. Bont who he had been so close with, was suddenly never seen off field with him anymore. I don’t get that feeling so much with Baz. He certainly shows he is more invested in the Bulldogs than Dunkley.

The feeling was Dunkley was leaving,and their was a certain coolness from the players towards him. Bont who he had been so close with, was suddenly never seen off field with him anymore. I don’t get that feeling so much with Baz. He certainly shows he is more invested in the Bulldogs than Dunkley.
I think a lot of that had to do with Dunkley requesting the trade previously, it was always real frosty after that.

Spot on Re: Smith!
Playing a bit of an eachway bet methinks?
If we do ok and make finals it’ll be along the lines of “I never contemplated leaving, I love the doggies and we’re going places”
If also runs.. It’ll be “I really want the opportunity to play at a club that’s successful and play finals”

I think a lot of that had to do with Dunkley requesting the trade previously, it was always real frosty after that.
And it would be a bit of a dick move for the players to give the cold shoulder for a bloke who is literally rehabbing an ACL injury. Rehab can be a tough, lonely place.

I don’t want to cause panic after a really good win but full transparency; after speaking to other players from another club who are well connected with a few boys at the Dogs, it’s not great news regarding the culture and apparent discontent at the Dogs.

Apparently very well known that Baz is gone among the boys and other clubs. Dogs contract isn’t competitive in any sense.

If Bev hangs around, there will be 3 or 4 senior boys who will privately request a trade. Not hard to work out who.

Bev is of the opinion that this is likely his last year unless it goes very well. 10 years is a good innings and he is well aware. The players are all aware of that too.

Factions formed where groups back Bev and others certainly do not. Another reason why the club is putting out fires to try and tie everyone back together. But it’s all very stinky at the kennel atm.

I don’t want to cause panic after a really good win but full transparency; after speaking to other players from another club who are well connected with a few boys at the Dogs, it’s not great news regarding the culture and apparent discontent at the Dogs.

Apparently very well known that Baz is gone among the boys and other clubs. Dogs contract isn’t competitive in any sense.

If Bev hangs around, there will be 3 or 4 senior boys who will privately request a trade. Not hard to work out who.

Bev is of the opinion that this is likely his last year unless it goes very well. 10 years is a good innings and he is well aware. The players are all aware of that too.

Factions formed where groups back Bev and others certainly do not. Another reason why the club is putting out fires to try and tie everyone back together. But it’s all very stinky at the kennel atm.
Sounds like change is afoot unless we go on an amazing run. Can’t argue with that.

Based on what I was told in Feb, and that’s from someone who is a player sponsor, his offers are over a mil. I wouldn’t even feel comfortable offering that sort of money to Bailey as much as I love him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back