Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 6 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

i would say no but curious if anyone would be tempted.

Naughton signed and Darcy wouldn't leave.

If Hawks offered 1st pick this year (looking like top 4) and first next year for Jamarra would anyone do it?

As much as it would hurt, if we could get two top 5 picks for Jamarra I think I would take it.

It's not like our tall forward options would be bare. Strong midfields are what wins you premierships.

I'm not overly fussed with Power, but I piss my pants laughing everytime I hear "beast mode".

Macrae is far better than Ward, nothing to do with the "beast mode"

Sanders will probably captain Tassie. He is gone already, that's why he slipped so "beast mode" could draft him where he did
We are in the now, so we recruited a gone kid for the now.
Snl Season 47 GIF by Saturday Night Live
Live images from 4seasons lounge room.

Why so much about Bailey? He was at the game Thursday night talking to and taking photos with bulldog kids for 20 plus minutes pregame. Didn’t look like a guy that’s checked out completely.

Is he more likely to leave than stay? Yes that seems to be the reading of the room but he’s still turning up and doing all the right things so not sure why he’s being potted

Why so much about Bailey? He was at the game Thursday night talking to and taking photos with bulldog kids for 20 plus minutes pregame. Didn’t look like a guy that’s checked out completely.

Is he more likely to leave than stay? Yes that seems to be the reading of the room but he’s still turning up and doing all the right things so not sure why he’s being potted

Too many people getting rattled by the fact he loves a photo with the Daicos boys.

Too many people getting rattled by the fact he loves a photo with the Daicos boys.

He was sponsored along with the Daicos boys on an overseas trip, for god sake players are allowed to be friends with players from other clubs.

He was sponsored along with the Daicos boys on an overseas trip, for god sake players are allowed to be friends with players from other clubs.
Yeah that's the bit that always got me about his offseason training camp with Collingwood players.
It was organised and paid for by Monster Energy and was tied in with a lead up to a UFC event

Sure, they're involved in his drink brand too but no one is linking him to Carlton because Curnow owns a part

The media parasites "suggest" he could be on the move, talk about it for a while and the gullible public run with the rumours, which then become facts.

Sells lots of papers, and stirs up plenty of clicks.

Friends, that's how you sell advertising space!

Was at the Bombres game doing the same thing to

On SM-S926B using BigFooty.com mobile app

The media parasites "suggest" he could be on the move, talk about it for a while and the gullible public run with the rumours, which then become facts.

So many on here seem to fall for it too.

On SM-S926B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Also a way to destabilise a club, when the media don’t like the head Coach not fawning over them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't think for a second that certain media personalities don't have it out for us, they most certainly do. Anything to whack Bevo and make the club look weak they will pounce on.

Weak, spineless, and gutless, the vast majority of AFL Media mouth pieces. All they do is vomit eachother's stories to the point that it suddenly has ''traction'' - *'em

It’s not just media parasites. Ameet Baines was pretty blunt when he said Bailey had expressed no indication to re-signing.

Thats it. Hope it’s wrong, but we need to read between the lines

I think Bailey loves the limelight so a bigger club playing in front of bigger crowds would appeal. It also increases his marketability off field. Smaller supported clubs like the dogs are always at a risk to losing players to bigger clubs for this reason.

I think Bailey loves the limelight so a bigger club playing in front of bigger crowds would appeal. It also increases his marketability off field. Smaller supported clubs like the dogs are always at a risk to losing players to bigger clubs for this reason.

Yes it’s great when that club is going well, but how toxic it gets when they are not. Unfortunately some of our supporters seem to be the worse, I.e. the death threats Josh Bruce got.

Yes it’s great when that club is going well, but how toxic it gets when they are not. Unfortunately some of our supporters seem to be the worse, I.e. the death threats Josh Bruce got.
...and Josh Dunkley, and people tracking down Ryan Gardner's family when he blocked them from social media.
Every club has a few nutcases sadly

CD is a defensive liability - it's a big risk that teams will rebound from half back through CD and his opponent. He is the easiest player to push off the ball and is slow and short. Great when he has the ball but a problem when he doesn't.
The other problem (stating the obvious) is height. When he was playing back they’d try to isolate him against taller players. You were basically giving up a few marks a week that another player could spoil.

Again, if he got his usual 25+ touches and got us out of jail with some bullet passes out of defence it was fine. If not it’s a big problem.

The same would apply if he went forward. The opportunity is there for intercept marks that would not be if a taller player were there, or at least a stronger one.

He’s been an outstanding servant and will no doubt play more footy but it’s actually pretty plausible that he would have been out of the system pretty early at another club.

My memory's a bit hazy on the Ward era (60 games at the Dogs) but IIRC it was as much that we didn't anticipate the way the expansion clubs would operate and failed to lock him in to a contract over that period. If we'd offered a tad more (like maybe $50k pa) at the right time he probably would have signed before the Giants rolled into town laden with large bags of money. (Some will say "but then we might not have got Macrae" but Ward was at least as good as Macrae so we were still every chance to win the 2016 flag.)

As for Sam Power, much as we sing his praises there have been a few eyebrow-raising renewals and signings recently. I can probably live with a few dubious signings and maybe even the overly-generous contract years of some of the renewals as long as we lock in our key top 10 players (and you can leave Libba out of that because he's a year by year renewal who is no flight risk at all).

I'm still not entirely happy with the draft assets we had to give up for Sanders either but if he turns out as good as some say he'll be (and we can get him to stay long term) then I'll probably put those scruples aside.
There was a repeated suggestion in the media we were only $50k or so apart with GWS and refused to budge (or fell asleep at the wheel). Totally unverified and might have been rubbish.

I have my doubts as he had just bought a house from memory and had to move interstate. I don’t know why you’d bother for that sort of a difference.

That’s all true. Bains’ response when asked if he’d expressed interest in staying was pretty telling though. He’s apparently had an offer in front of him for months and it’s not like he can use the ‘focusing on footy’ excuse.

In my mind it’s no problem if he leaves as long as there’s reasonable compensation. I’d rather he stay but we’re already giving others a go in the midfield etc. If he wants to go elsewhere so be it.

The "small club" thing is a bit of a furphy these days, IMO.
We're actually pretty well run off-field.
We seem to make a profit each year, we have assets and strong cashflow.

As a supporter base, we revert to the poor-old-Dogs attitude when things go wrong, when we really should be thinking of ourselves a solid club in all respects.

The more we see ourselves as a strong member of the league, the bigger we will become.

I reckon our attitude, as a collective, is about 15 years behind the reality. So is everyone else's opinion of us. It's a lag that we don't need.

Time that attitude changed.
I agree with much of this but the AFL’s attitude to giving us any “marquee” exposure brings us back to “small” club mentality. To get ****ed over in the whole Good Friday thing really sticks in my craw. Not that I particularly want to play north (who I loath) but why give it to Carlton who have the opening game already. AFL House needs to change it’s formal approach to the smaller clubs to change the perception that there are haves and have-not clubs in the league.

They have the same manager and are in business together. Maybe they even like each other.

I knew there had to be a reason Collingwood started the year so slowly.

They are clearly reeling from the news that the Daicos brothers were seen at Whitten Oval saying “just get us here” after Sam Power said one hypnotising sentence to them.

Something clearly off at the Pies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back