Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 6 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

If we trade our 2025 first for a 2024 first rounder (which I hope we do). I’d like us to pick up Sam Lalor. Bull inside mid, can kick goals too. Trained with us during pre-season.

Would be a good future midfield with Sanders and Baz and abit of Richards.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
His latest ASP Game

#4 Sam Lalor
Still easing his way back from a hip injury, the potential top-10 prospect split his time between the midfield and forward and clunked two big contested marks, including one in a pack deep inside 50. The AFL Academy member was a bull in the clinches when he went in there, winning 12 contested possessions and six clearances, but he went at just 47 per cent efficiency as Geelong College gave him little time and space. He strolled into an open goal in the second quarter and finished with 19 touches and 67 points.

If we trade our 2025 first for a 2024 first rounder (which I hope we do). I’d like us to pick up Sam Lalor. Bull inside mid, can kick goals too. Trained with us during pre-season.

Would be a good future midfield with Sanders and Baz and abit of Richards.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
We’d need a pretty good first to get him.

Pies are out of the Baz race. It’s between Hawks or Dogs at this stage.
What I'm hearing too, especially as Cats put their money towards Holmes rather than going after Smtih.

Hawks with the inside lane and a substantial lead.

Saints a wildcard.

400k per season is pretty cheap for Lobb imo - coming off the year he'd had for Freo and filling a specific need for us at the time.

Contract is definitely not a cap killer even if he's just depth moving forward.

Hope you don’t mind me chiming in but this is Lobb’s MO.

He gets a front ended deal and leaves before the later years kick in.

Was on average 700K per year at Freo front ended.

Turned that in to 1.6m over 4 years at dogs front ended.

Bloke has been on overs for nearly a decade.

I'd be moving the ''keeping Baz meter'' upto about 75% this morning.
If Libba retires I'd move it to 100%.

All he wants is midfield minutes and years, we're offering less than Hawks but it seems his more inclined to stay with us.

Seriously hope he stays.

Midfield is stacked long term if he does with Bont sanders Baz and now Ed coming on.

Means we can focus resources on the backline.

I'd be moving the ''keeping Baz meter'' upto about 75% this morning.
If Libba retires I'd move it to 100%.

All he wants is midfield minutes and years, we're offering less than Hawks but it seems his more inclined to stay with us.
Is this “keeping Baz meter” your feelings towards likeliness or just what you want to happen? Desperately hoping likeliness

Inside Trading Article

DOGS OFFER YOUNGSTER DEAL​

THE WESTERN Bulldogs have put a contract offer to first-round pick Jedd Busslinger as the developing tall defender reaches the midway point of his second season at the club.

Busslinger was the Dogs' No.13 pick at the 2022 AFL draft but is yet to break through for his debut at the top level in the club's well-stocked talls department. The West Australian is one of only two first-round picks from that season yet to re-sign beyond his standard two-year deal, with Swan Jacob Konstanty, the No.20 pick that season, also remaining out of contract beyond this year.
Konstanty is gathering rival interest as a small forward and also is yet to get in a shot at AFL level with the Swans.

The Dogs have made a contract offer to extend Busslinger beyond the end of this season. – Callum Twomey

Inside Trading Article

DOGS OFFER YOUNGSTER DEAL​

THE WESTERN Bulldogs have put a contract offer to first-round pick Jedd Busslinger as the developing tall defender reaches the midway point of his second season at the club.

Busslinger was the Dogs' No.13 pick at the 2022 AFL draft but is yet to break through for his debut at the top level in the club's well-stocked talls department. The West Australian is one of only two first-round picks from that season yet to re-sign beyond his standard two-year deal, with Swan Jacob Konstanty, the No.20 pick that season, also remaining out of contract beyond this year.
Konstanty is gathering rival interest as a small forward and also is yet to get in a shot at AFL level with the Swans.

The Dogs have made a contract offer to extend Busslinger beyond the end of this season. – Callum Twomey

Won’t resign he’s goneski

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Have heard some mail today

• Baz likely to stay on 3 year deal
  • Bevo likely to leave on his own accord at end of the year

Take of that what you will
Probably a good thing.

Hopefully the games put into Gallagher, Darcy, Sanders etc pay off and we still move on Daniel. Will set us up mid term

I'm not convinced either of these things are (or rather, can be true) true this early into the season.
Other teams' salary cap management can change between now and at the end of the season, and I don't think many Dogs fans or Bevo himself would necessarily leave if we were to make and win a final, which is not as unlikely as people are making it out to be, for instance.

Have heard some mail today

Take of that what you will
Geez, from the doom and gloom of the last few weeks to a potentially a new midfield of Baz, Sanders, Richards, with resources to chase another gun...
200.gif

If Libba is forced to retire by the league panel, what happens with next year's salary? Can we pay it to him outside the cap?

I guess that goes for odriscoll too. I assume/hope we still pay him his contracted amount for next year but is it included?
There is nothing official on that, most journos are split.

My personal belief is that if a player is required to medically retire, then it probably should be outside of the cap. Does anyone know how it's handled in the NRL or internationally in the NBA?

I'm not convinced either of these things are (or rather, can be true) true this early into the season.
Other teams' salary cap management can change between now and at the end of the season, and I don't think many Dogs fans or Bevo himself would necessarily leave if we were to make and win a final, which is not as unlikely as people are making it out to be, for instance.
I'm not a betting man, but the bookies currently have us at about $4 to make the top 8. If the qualifier for Bevo to stay is that we need to win a final as you say, that means the market would have us at a roughly 1 in 8 chance of doing so.

Removing bias, unless things change significantly and very quickly it is unlikely.

There is nothing official on that, most journos are split.

My personal belief is that if a player is required to medically retire, then it probably should be outside of the cap. Does anyone know how it's handled in the NRL or internationally in the NBA?
I think there needs to be some factor of the risk with signing any contract built into it. A contract, particularly a multi-year deal, carries uncertainty including form, player behaviour and injury risk.

A player can be badly injured, to the extent that their playing career is impacted significantly, without being formally medically retired - meaning the line between a medical retirement and a player driven retirement or substantially drop in output is too large when it comes to salary cap if you remove it all for a medical retirement.

I'm not sure what the perfect split would be, but in my mind there needs to be some % of the remaining contract carried by the club themselves within the cap.

Bailey Smith on a 3 year deal is bizarre given he's a free agent in 2 years.

Scrimshaw did the same for Hawthorn. I wonder what the thinking is.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back