Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 6 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Outside Sanders, was the 1st year player I was most excited for.

Could’ve been a real small forward half weapon.
Was hoping he could be that damaging HHF two way runner with his high endurance but enough speed to burn off his opponent running back to goal. Working back into defence to provide run out options or to close down space.
Had real potential to be a very good player, unfortunately that will never come to pass now 😪

Was hoping he could be that damaging HHF two way runner with his high endurance but enough speed to burn off his opponent running back to goal. Working back into defence to provide run out options or to close down space.
Had real potential to be a very good player, unfortunately that will never come to pass now 😪
His speed-endurance mix was the best in the draft and wouldve been top 5 in the AFL

With the way he marks the ball it'd be possible, I don't think he has spent any meaningful time there but others may know better.

His management are looking for offers over 1.2mil and a length of 6 year.
Currently no one coming forward with the dogs offering 5 more years at his current wage (around 900k)

Welcome to the Bulldogs for another 5 years, Timmy

Who’s McArthur?
190cm utility from the Western Jets. Got very good athleticism, good kick and very strong overhead. Can play either end but I'd like to see him become a wingman long term. December bday.

From what I can understand we were interested in him last year, which makes sense considering the similarities between him and Friejah. Liked the look of him in the first young guns game were he played forward and kicked 3 goals if I remember correctly but plays as a link up back more at the Jets.

190cm utility from the Western Jets. Got very good athleticism, good kick and very strong overhead. Can play either end but I'd like to see him become a wingman long term. December bday.

From what I can understand we were interested in him last year, which makes sense considering the similarities between him and Friejah. Liked the look of him in the first young guns game were he played forward and kicked 3 goals if I remember correctly but plays as a link up back more at the Jets.

Thanks.

First name? I’ll check out some highlights.

He isn't super quick, certainly is above average for pace with pretty good agility. His ball use and not hitting the scoreboard enough was my main knock on him. Pressure was elite though. From memory was averaging around 6 tackles a game which is through the roof for a small forward/mid.
You’d want to see some evidence his pluses translate to afl.

So we now have two spots available for MSD? Is that correct?

Small forwards of Weightman, West and Garcia is pretty good. García is getting better every game and brings speed and tackling, West creative and aggressive and Weightman flashy but high skill.

Sure two makeshift forwards but Dickson, Picken and C.Smith were also.

And Clarke coming through is looking on the right trajectory. Wouldn’t be highest priority unless a clear high potential player is there. Now that that have two I am not against rolling the dice but some like Spicer isn’t killing VFL after a few year so where is the thing that would make him AFL ready?

For example some good VFL players can become great AFL players if they just get body maturity: Morris, Boyd etc became physically imposing and that was what they needed - is there someone like this?

Arty has slipped and already looks behind Clarke which is a shame - would be worth trying at HBF. JJ is getting on and others don’t have the speed to be the breakout runner. Gallagher was brought in for this reason but is now in the midfield. So a gap for him or we could look to MSD.

Wing is where we have real quality problems - Gallagher is going there but is also rolling inside - if Smith comes back then likely he is pushed to wing. Williams is regular 22 but more because he can roll back to defence. With Red showing great potential in the midfield - we may do this more often. Bedendo doesn’t appear to be getting closer to games.

So wing is a hole and becomes more of a hole. But we have used the second tier drafts to get recycled players who are ok but don’t have one established player. Do we keep trying this? And end up with three players on list that can’t get regular games? High speed high endurance wingers are in demand from everyone so just not sure they are easy to get. More a national draft target. Maybe?

Midfield is looking pretty good for a few years - assuming we re/sign Smith but this is where injuries are and where we are playing more VFL players.

Current:

Bont, Trelor, Libba, Macrae, Daniel, Harmes (and good rotations from all theee small forwards)

Next:

Smith, Gallagher (playing in front of Daniel atm), Sanders.

It is hard to find a midfielder who will genuinely get games otherwise we would have picked Sullivan years ago. Also really need quality against very good player.

Wouldn’t go for a midfielder would rather pick a list weakness and have a free hit at plugging it. And best result is if they have some high potential attribute - particularly a natural trait like competitiveness, calm under pressure, goal sense or great kick - if they were well rounded they would either be drafted or average in everything.

But seems like where these fail is often on skills - I wouldn’t call Baker:poulter fails they have physical strengths but lack skills. So skills weaknesses would be a read flag.

I believe MSD can be valuable to plug holes needed because of injury or emerging so when we look at VFL and where we are doing things we don’t want to so unless their is a breakout player missed in the draft in the roles above I would go for:

1. Ruck where we have played Gardner cause we had (needs ro be ready at Fullback). Not sure who is best available?

2. KPF: We have also played Croft forward when we don’t to develop him as a KPD because we had to. So the blond tall forward from Box Hill would be my pick.
Garcia isn’t a small forward and never will be.

Garcia isn’t a small forward and never will be.
He’s not a small forward but I think long term he can be a great HFF, he’s deceptively creative around goals with his ball use. Great vision and brings his teammates into the game and then great pressure and tackling too and usually pretty reliable at the sticks. Then pushes up the ground and can be a genuine midfield rotation (wish we used him more there)

He’s making the position his own right now and will only get better as he learns his role considering he’s been pretty much exclusively a mid so far, only has to look at the way West has developed to see a path.

Big fan

Last edited:
He’s not a small forward but I think long term he can be a great HFF, he’s deceptively creative around goals with his ball use. Great vision and brings his teammates into the game and then great pressure and tackling too and usually pretty reliable at the sticks. Then pushes up the ground and can be a genuine midfield rotation (wish we used him more there)

He’s making the position his own right now and will only get better as he learns his role considering he’s been pretty much exclusively a mid so far, only has to look at the way West has developed to see a path.

Big fan
I’m a huge fan as well. I just don’t think we can continue to carry numerous unnatural forwards forward. West is doing a job but is a midfielder, Garcia even more so, Vandermeer isn’t a natural forward/footballer, Weightman plays taller than he is.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m a huge fan as well. I just don’t think we can continue to carry numerous unnatural forwards forward. West is doing a job but is a midfielder, Garcia even more so, Vandermeer isn’t a natural forward/footballer, Weightman plays taller than he is.
West is doing better than a job, he with time has developed really good forward craft. Garcia with time may also.

Most small forwards either run through the middle or played through the middle in their junior days.

On SM-S926B using BigFooty.com mobile app

I agree but we’ve also got Harmes and Macrae in the team too right now who won’t be there long term, we need to balance the forward line better but still think there’s a place long term for Garcia at HF, he can step straight into Macraes current role.

West is pretty natural there now can do it all on the ground and air and Cody’s shown this year he’s more than just another marking target IMO was really finding his best at ground level he’s just another all around good smart forward. Vanders is the one who needs replacing, ideally we have one more player that can offer his run but is also a scoring threat and can crumb. That would really be the perfect balance, every time I watch Bobby Hill I just imagine how much he would transform our forward line if we had him there instead of Vandermeer he’s lightning on the fast break and defence, brings his teammates into the game, crumbs and finishes strong. Low stats but impact is off the charts. I want someone like him

Last edited:
Ned Moyle would be a good get to pinch from Gold Coast if he's sick of being stuck behind Witts (also just drafted Ethan Read). Looks ready to go, only a couple AFL games but dominates at VFL level, 206cms 104 KG who will be 23 at the start of next season.

Toby Conway from Geelong is also a potential young gun ruck but imagine he is untouchable and pretty untried / developing still.

Other potential OOC options Ivan Soldo (OOC at the end of the year I believe and maybe the year at Port doesn't go well), Braydon Preuss (if we were just looking for a short term jobber type), Lloyd Meek may be the odd man out if Reeves is their #1 guy.

Also some potential guys who could be available if they lose their current #1 spot - Reilly O'Brien, Marc Pittonet.

Moyle looked pretty good tonight, Conway too tbh :D

Moyle will get a nice juicy contract from a Victorian club for next season it looks like.

Moyle looked pretty good tonight, Conway too tbh :D

Moyle will get a nice juicy contract from a Victorian club for next season it looks like.
He’s the one I want in place of English. With the luxury of either Darcy or Lobb to give a genuine chop out every week I think it would be a really strong combination.

I would lowball English with like 4 years at $700k and hope someone else trumps us

Also if Baz does end up leaving, we should throw everything we have at Zak Butters. Not sure we could pry him out but don’t die wondering

Baz does seem to be a lot more engaged with the club in recent weeks and posting a lot of social media related content (I know that sounds silly).

I wonder if it’s a management directive to quiet the outside noise or he’s feeling more inclined at staying. Alternatively it could mean nothing at all.

I agree on West, I just wonder if that’s what he wants to do long term.
I would have thought to be the best player he can be and be part of a successful side. I have been surprised with how good his forward craft has already improved and with his effort and attitude I don't think he has yet hit his ceiling

On SM-S926B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Minimal offers for Tim.. maybe that’s what explains the extra aggression in games as of late? 😂
I think Tim and his management might be waking up to the fact that Tim can be a whilst very valuable player in this game, that he isn't some 'unicorn' top 10 level of player in the game.

A 5 x 900k a year deal should be about spot on. With the rising cap, I'd be comfortable paying that to a top 3-5ish ruckman that has considerable strengths but considerable weaknesses.

Gold Coast have cash and want a half back. Can see them coming after a few of our guys. Namely Caleb and JJ. Could make the trade period more interesting with them hunting proactively.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back