Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 6 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

FORMER Sydney first-round draft pick Matt Ling has emerged as a mid-season draft candidate after being a part of the group of 24 players to undergo AFL medicals.

Ling, who played four games for the Swans after being drafted at No.14 in the 2017 intake, returned to Geelong to play in the Cats' VFL side after his Sydney stint.

However, he moved to Norwood ahead of last season and has impressed in the SANFL, including playing in the South Australia and Western Australia state game last weekend.

The 25-year-old left-footer has garnered at least multiple nominations from clubs to be one of the 24 players to be listed for medicals ahead of the Mid-Season Rookie Draft next Wednesday.

The majority of the selections are viewed as likely to come within the group of players, which includes state league prospects, players who were overlooked at last year's draft and a range of different ages.

A number of the players who have undergone medicals were first eligible for last year's draft but were overlooked, including tall forwards Noah Howes (South Adelaide), Jasper Scaife (West Perth) and Remy Maclean (Eastern Ranges) and medium goalkicker Will McLachlan (Geelong Falcons).

Falcons ruckman Joe Pike is in the group of players getting medicals after not getting drafted last season, while Sandringham tall defender Lachie Voss, Eastern Ranges defender/ruck Illiro Smit, Bendigo captain Dayten Uerata and West Adelaide backman Will Patton have also been nominated.

Potential early mid-season pick Geordie Payne is another who has undergone a medical.

Dandenong half-back dasher Ben Hopkins and Essendon half-forward Oskar Smartt will also have medicals, while Collingwood's Jack Hutchinson, Geelong's Ajang Kuol mun and Tobyn Murray, Coburg's Caleb Ernst, Box Hill's Max Hall and Williamstown's Corey Ellison are the other VFL players to get nominated for medicals.

Former Port Adelaide ruckman Brynn Teakle, who was a mid-season choice in 2022, could be in for another shot after being nominated in the group for medicals, while Toby Murray, the younger brother of Crow Nick, has also caught the eye to be nominated.

Jacob Blight, 22, has had several interviews and also is in the AFL's medicals group, as is small forward Kelsey Rypstra and Luke Beecken, both from the SANFL.

Rypstra, Smartt and Patton I wouldn't mind seeing on the list. Rypstra did his ACL and didn't get much of a go at it in his draft year. He's a small pressure forward.

Last edited:

On Jamarra. I think he's not as fit as he should be which impacts his whole game: chasing, leading, tackling and kicking. I suspect he's never going to be an endurance athlete like Naughton. Of course, he may improve this aspect as he gets older but right now he's not able to sustain effort.

On Jamarra. I think he's not as fit as he should be which impacts his whole game: chasing, leading, tackling and kicking. I suspect he's never going to be an endurance athlete like Naughton. Of course, he may improve this aspect as he gets older but right now he's not able to sustain effort.
He's had 3 and a half seasons and 4 preseasons to work on his fitness yet struggles to last 10 minutes into the first quarter without being exhausted, needs a real kick up the ar-se more than anything.

He's had 3 and a half seasons and 4 preseasons to work on his fitness yet struggles to last 10 minutes into the first quarter without being exhausted, needs a real kick up the ar-se more than anything.
Players are free to train how they like but he probably needs to ditch the consistent boxing sessions on focusing on covering more ground without being cooked.

I’m all for players mixing it up but boxing fitness really isn’t relevant for our game at all.

Like how? All he does in his spare time is exercise by the looks of it lol. Boxing/gym/running.

Take a look at his possession heat maps before he took the two weeks off. It’s not a perfect indicator of his fitness but he was consistently working up the wings to win the ball.

The 2 weeks off have clearly affected his fitness and his form. But prior to that he was fine.

What happens when you gut too hard and there is no senior developed bodies to assist the talented youngsters

I'm for cutting pretty hard, but they just took it a few steps further and went the full massacre. Went from the oldest team in 2016 to the 2nd youngest the next year. Then in 2019 they tried to bring in players in that middle to old age bracket to bridge the gap but that isn't a very good plan when those players are Polec, Pittard and Hall. They are paying for it now.

I'm for cutting pretty hard, but they just took it a few steps further and went the full massacre. Went from the oldest team in 2016 to the 2nd youngest the next year. Then in 2019 they tried to bring in players in that middle to old age bracket to bridge the gap but that isn't a very good plan when those players are Polec, Pittard and Hall. They are paying for it now.
Not to mention the end of 2020 when they shopped at the time their best forward (Ben Brown) and best midfielder (Higgins), as well as cutting 11 players including Mason Wood and Jamie Macmillan. They willingly moved the majority of their experienced players off the list in favour of youth.

Shock horror it goes **** up and the proud shinboners go running to the AFL year on year for bailouts.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Take a look at his possession heat maps before he took the two weeks off. It’s not a perfect indicator of his fitness but he was consistently working up the wings to win the ball.

The 2 weeks off have clearly affected his fitness and his form. But prior to that he was fine.

Could be by design though. Naughts is best used up the ground, and Sam the long target, which leaves Marra as the 'foil' inside 50 to make repeated leads.

Could be by design though. Naughts is best used up the ground, and Sam the long target, which leaves Marra as the 'foil' inside 50 to make repeated leads.

I think Darcy really emerging as a legit target and Naughton hitting his stride at the same time that Jamarra has missed games and struggled for form has both been fortunate for us and an extra complication for Jamarra coming back into the team.

He was clearly our main man before his time off but now behind the other two in the blink of an eye.

Yep, it's pretty clear that he wasn't really training in those couple of weeks. I'm not concerned, but I'm confused about why we plonked him straight in the AFL side. Would have been a great opportunity to give Darcy more responsibility and give Marra a chance to dominate the lower level and get some confidence up. It probably doesn't make sense to do it now unless his form doesn't improve.

Yep, it's pretty clear that he wasn't really training in those couple of weeks. I'm not concerned, but I'm confused about why we plonked him straight in the AFL side. Would have been a great opportunity to give Darcy more responsibility and give Marra a chance to dominate the lower level and get some confidence up. It probably doesn't make sense to do it now unless his form doesn't improve.

Could be any number of things. We might have underestimated the impact of the time off and/or thought one AFL game would get him back up to speed. Or that Lobb and Darcy would be too tall and slow, even compared to a less than fit Marra. Or more speculatively that a demotion to the VFL might not have been good for him mentally, or might have put us in an awkward spot if Lobb came in and played well.

Not to mention the end of 2020 when they shopped at the time their best forward (Ben Brown) and best midfielder (Higgins), as well as cutting 11 players including Mason Wood and Jamie Macmillan. They willingly moved the majority of their experienced players off the list in favour of youth.

Shock horror it goes **** up and the proud shinboners go running to the AFL year on year for bailouts.
It's why Richmond should see nothing but red flags when the cretins in the media in search of a talking point suggest that they should shop a lot of their senior players and hit the draft with the magic beans that they will receive in return..

Optics. One simply cannot have a star player returning through the reserves 2 days after signing a $900+k contract extension.

Disappointed with Baz if he leaves given the situation (a year off on full pay then "see ya").
I would have thought a 2-year extension was the smart and ethical thing to do. Hopefully this is the way it pans out.

With English, we had more currency than anyone else in the comp.

Although they were probably going to turn down all offers, we would’ve been in the box seat if they didn’t.

I’d consider that a decent chance wouldn’t you?
English+ whatever picks we may have been offered for Smith would have at least made them think. Who knows, maybe we tried.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back