Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 6 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

English+ whatever picks we may have been offered for Smith would have at least made them think. Who knows, maybe we tried.

Considering we offloaded a future first to grab a high end mid in last years draft, we’d have no doubt had list management discussions around what it would take to get Reid at pick 1.

WC’s list management team also would’ve had multiple discussions around what they could possibly get if trading out the pick. Whether or not they’d have accepted any offers is another thing.

However it played out behind closed doors, English and a future first would’ve been the best offer on the table if it eventuated. And considering English is clearly open to a move if the contract is right, it’s not far fetched to believe we were a chance of getting Reid last year. Even if very small.

Any chance we had, we can forget it now. He’s tracking for possible Brownlows and Norm Smiths with his debut season form. If he does end up leaving, it’ll probably be the biggest trade deal in AFL history.

Considering we offloaded a future first to grab a high end mid in last years draft, we’d have no doubt had list management discussions around what it would take to get Reid at pick 1.

WC’s list management team also would’ve had multiple discussions around what they could possibly get if trading out the pick. Whether or not they’d have accepted any offers is another thing.

However it played out behind closed doors, English and a future first would’ve been the best offer on the table if it eventuated. And considering English is clearly open to a move if the contract is right, it’s not far fetched to believe we were a chance of getting Reid last year. Even if very small.

Any chance we had, we can forget it now. He’s tracking for possible Brownlows and Norm Smiths with his debut season form. If he does end up leaving, it’ll probably be the biggest trade deal in AFL history.
Can anyone afford what it would take? Probably 2 high firsts and a star player.

Can anyone afford what it would take? Probably 2 high firsts and a star player.

In a fair trade, i doubt it. Multiple high end picks at bare minimum yeah.

Who’s to say though we don’t see another Dunkley situation where he doesn’t go for the biggest offer, just what his club of destination can afford. And considering the bigger Vic clubs won’t have too much to offer (Pies, Blues, Dons etc), it’s possible he goes for well unders if he’s a prick about it.

You’d hope it doesn’t play out like that.

Don’t know how much it would take but I’d throw absolutely everything at them to get Reid. Bar the obvious few untouchables.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Reid's doing very well. But people love a whine about wasting Bont's best years. I'm not sure of the logic behind trading out an All-Australian player who wants to play for your club for the possibility of something in the future is really the smart play or was genuinely entertained.

English trade discussions were largely in the context of a few outside elements lining up (West Coast's worst position among many being their ruck, English from Perth, English' partner then living in Perth, West Coast being crap, having salary cap room etc). Once even a couple of those things became no longer relevant, I'm sure trade discussions were shut down pretty quickly. Teams that aren't looking to massively rebuild without salary cap pressure typically don't trade out talented players for the possibility of future talent. You take the certainty of the existing talent over the abstract concept of future talent.

FORMER Sydney first-round draft pick Matt Ling has emerged as a mid-season draft candidate after being a part of the group of 24 players to undergo AFL medicals.

Ling, who played four games for the Swans after being drafted at No.14 in the 2017 intake, returned to Geelong to play in the Cats' VFL side after his Sydney stint.

However, he moved to Norwood ahead of last season and has impressed in the SANFL, including playing in the South Australia and Western Australia state game last weekend.

The 25-year-old left-footer has garnered at least multiple nominations from clubs to be one of the 24 players to be listed for medicals ahead of the Mid-Season Rookie Draft next Wednesday.

The majority of the selections are viewed as likely to come within the group of players, which includes state league prospects, players who were overlooked at last year's draft and a range of different ages.

A number of the players who have undergone medicals were first eligible for last year's draft but were overlooked, including tall forwards Noah Howes (South Adelaide), Jasper Scaife (West Perth) and Remy Maclean (Eastern Ranges) and medium goalkicker Will McLachlan (Geelong Falcons).

Falcons ruckman Joe Pike is in the group of players getting medicals after not getting drafted last season, while Sandringham tall defender Lachie Voss, Eastern Ranges defender/ruck Illiro Smit, Bendigo captain Dayten Uerata and West Adelaide backman Will Patton have also been nominated.

Potential early mid-season pick Geordie Payne is another who has undergone a medical.

Dandenong half-back dasher Ben Hopkins and Essendon half-forward Oskar Smartt will also have medicals, while Collingwood's Jack Hutchinson, Geelong's Ajang Kuol mun and Tobyn Murray, Coburg's Caleb Ernst, Box Hill's Max Hall and Williamstown's Corey Ellison are the other VFL players to get nominated for medicals.

Former Port Adelaide ruckman Brynn Teakle, who was a mid-season choice in 2022, could be in for another shot after being nominated in the group for medicals, while Toby Murray, the younger brother of Crow Nick, has also caught the eye to be nominated.

Jacob Blight, 22, has had several interviews and also is in the AFL's medicals group, as is small forward Kelsey Rypstra and Luke Beecken, both from the SANFL.

Rypstra, Smartt and Patton I wouldn't mind seeing on the list. Rypstra did his ACL and didn't get much of a go at it in his draft year. He's a small pressure forward.

All I'll say is some parents have a lot to answer for with the names they inflict on their kids.

Surely we'll move Bailey Smith to the inactive list? When is the deadline?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Reid's doing very well. But people love a whine about wasting Bont's best years. I'm not sure of the logic behind trading out an All-Australian player who wants to play for your club for the possibility of something in the future is really the smart play or was genuinely entertained.

English trade discussions were largely in the context of a few outside elements lining up (West Coast's worst position among many being their ruck, English from Perth, English' partner then living in Perth, West Coast being crap, having salary cap room etc). Once even a couple of those things became no longer relevant, I'm sure trade discussions were shut down pretty quickly. Teams that aren't looking to massively rebuild without salary cap pressure typically don't trade out talented players for the possibility of future talent. You take the certainty of the existing talent over the abstract concept of future talent.

Reid was going to be a superstar. Most clubs would’ve known this.

I still think it would’ve been a big discussion point for our list managers. If it wasn’t, they aren’t doing their jobs.

I thought the same but apparently we only have one spot available, even after AOD’s retirement
After we signed Bramble as a rookie via the SSP period we filled all 42 possible spots on the main + Cat A rookie list (37 + 5), with the only open spot being a Cat B rookie position alongside JOD.

O'Driscoll's retirement opens up a Cat A rookie spot (so 1 pick in the MSD), and we can open up a second if we move Smith or anyone else to the inactive list.

Article on the AFL site is suggesting ex-Swan Matthew Ling is attracting interest in the MD. He was drafted as a line breaking half back.
Anyone know if that’s where he has been playing since being delisted?
I'm a friend of his fathers, so I've kept my eye on him.
As far as I know, he went back to St Mary's in the Geelong Football League, then back to Geelong VFL where he played in defence, what role he played I'm not sure.
He's been at Norwood in the SANFL for the last year.
From what I've gathered & seen he has been playing off half back.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back