Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 6 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Inside Trading Article

FORMER PIE ON DOGS' RADAR

THE Western Bulldogs are considering former Collingwood wingman Trent Biancoahead of next Wednesday night's mid-season rookie draft.

Bianco joined Footscray at the end of last year after being delisted by the Magpies following 23 games across four seasons.

The 23-year-old has averaged 22 disposals from seven games for the Bulldogs' undefeated reserves side, around an appearance for the VFL against the SANFL.
After providing another former Collingwood wingman in Caleb Poulter with a lifeline in last year's mid-season rookie draft, the Dogs are expected to make a selection next week and could add an outside player following the retirement of Aiden O'Driscolland with Bailey Smith being unavailable due to a knee reconstruction.

Bianco chose Footscray in the hope it would enhance his chances of landing another chance and has nominated the short-term six-month contract option.

Brisbane is also in the market for at least one seasoned state league player and could look at Bianco, following a spate of long-term injuries at the Lions.

Poulter played nine games for Luke Beveridge's side in the second half of last year to earn a two-year extension and has since added two more AFL appearances at the Whitten Oval. But the wing remains a spot up for grabs at the Dogs. – Josh Gabelich

I think Darcy really emerging as a legit target and Naughton hitting his stride at the same time that Jamarra has missed games and struggled for form has both been fortunate for us and an extra complication for Jamarra coming back into the team.

He was clearly our main man before his time off but now behind the other two in the blink of an eye.

When this clicks it will be awesome.

The problem we have is when all three or even four stand in the same place (hot zone top of square - this attracts the ball but all go up for the same mark and is easily disrupted by pushing us under the ball - in the mess the umpires go Stevie Wonder.

When we have:

- Naughty playing as a true CHF - leading up the ground we get marking power up the ground to move the ball, a big body around the ball and create chaos when his runs into 50 into a hole.

- Darcy playing deep and pulling the intercept marking fullback back to stand him - then the long kick to him is an option

- Marra plays as a full forward leading into lanes and this is what should create movement and focus for the team up the ground - he goes one way and Flea goes the other.

- Two Smalls play in mini teams: one in front of Darcy (West at the drop), one behind JUH (Garcia with speed hitting the lose ball or defender

WCE are massive financially. They'll have the means to give him what he wants over there if it becomes about money.
As soon as The West Australian starts paying him commission fees for the use of his image on their front and back covers he'll have no reason to ever think about leaving Perth. That or a few Hungry Jacks franchises requiring new ownership.

Inside Trading Article

FORMER PIE ON DOGS' RADAR

THE Western Bulldogs are considering former Collingwood wingman Trent Biancoahead of next Wednesday night's mid-season rookie draft.

Bianco joined Footscray at the end of last year after being delisted by the Magpies following 23 games across four seasons.

The 23-year-old has averaged 22 disposals from seven games for the Bulldogs' undefeated reserves side, around an appearance for the VFL against the SANFL.
After providing another former Collingwood wingman in Caleb Poulter with a lifeline in last year's mid-season rookie draft, the Dogs are expected to make a selection next week and could add an outside player following the retirement of Aiden O'Driscolland with Bailey Smith being unavailable due to a knee reconstruction.

Bianco chose Footscray in the hope it would enhance his chances of landing another chance and has nominated the short-term six-month contract option.

Brisbane is also in the market for at least one seasoned state league player and could look at Bianco, following a spate of long-term injuries at the Lions.

Poulter played nine games for Luke Beveridge's side in the second half of last year to earn a two-year extension and has since added two more AFL appearances at the Whitten Oval. But the wing remains a spot up for grabs at the Dogs. – Josh Gabelich
Please god no. We have too many second club players on our list right now as it is, we need future best 22 players not half a list of fringe players

Bianco had two main issues at AFL level. First is that he’s just an outside player with his size, second is that he couldn’t lock down any one role. He’s an okay forward flanker, back flanker, or wing, but not better than okay at any of them.

Please god no. We have too many second club players on our list right now as it is, we need future best 22 players not half a list of fringe players
Bizarre having an issue with that.. We have 9 on the list.

We have the same amount as Brisbane and one fewer than Collingwood who were last years grand finalists.

Bianco had two main issues at AFL level. First is that he’s just an outside player with his size, second is that he couldn’t lock down any one role. He’s an okay forward flanker, back flanker, or wing, but not better than okay at any of them.
Also he wouldn't be ahead of guys who are currently playing in the VFL for us already. It would be a nothing pick.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The game against the U18's team summed Bianco up. Was caught with the ball a couple times and looked rushed. He's too slow for AFL footy, VFL is his level. Would be a pretty dumb selection.

We have the same amount as Brisbane and one fewer than Collingwood who were last years grand finalists.
Difference in quality there. We have been bringing in guys who are fringe players and not filling in areas of needs for a while and then keeping them on the list for too long.

Knew it would always likely be Bianco, if we do make a pick. We were never going to venture outside our safe space of Footscray based players. Personally I rather preserve the list spot for the off season. Cannot see him personally locking down a permanent best 22 spot long term. I feel likes its a case of us being so desperate for more outside players in the team, we'd overlook the other stuff, such as lack of pace, damage. Who is he going to push out of the team over the second half of the season?

We need to reconsider bringing in "role" players. Yes every team has and needs role players. But our record with them is dismal in recent years. Wasting picks and list spots. Barely any have become long term regular best 22 players for us, if any at all. Which is probably why we don't finish in the top four. We don't nail those support/bottom six roles.

Last edited:

I'd say it's not so much 2nd club players as previously delisted players. This year we have 6 players who fit that description (Baker, Duryea, Poulter, Bramble, McNeil and Gardner, excluding Liam Jones). I havent checked but I presume that number is close to if not the highest in the league.

If it’s nobody or Bianco, it’s better for Bianco. Literally nothing changes if we take him, the only difference is he could play at AFL level. If not, things stay as they are with him at VFL.

Edit - taking him also means no other team could take him, which means we would lose him at VFL level, which would be a blow for the team based on his form.

Difference in quality there. We have been bringing in guys who are fringe players and not filling in areas of needs for a while and then keeping them on the list for too long.
Who do you have an issue with that we've brought in that are still on the list though? Remember we haven't exactly had a lot of draft picks in recent times due to the key position players we've matched early on in the draft. Of the second club players we have:

• Adam Treloar is leading our best and fairest
  • Taylor Duryea is playing very well this season
  • Rory Lobb has filled a need being a stop gap for Sam Darcy
  • Nick Coffield is depth in an area of need
  • Oskar Baker I think would fit the description of not being quality but it's definitely an area of need
  • Liam Jones is our most important player
  • James Harmes has played very well this season
  • Caleb Poulter (see Oskar Baker - though he's still relatively young)
  • Lachie Bramble I don't have a huge issue with, hasn't been horrible, probably due for a spell in the VFL but otherwise he's been handy.
  • Alex Keath was our most important defender for a stretch, is an area of need
  • Ryan Gardner is the one that is neither quality, nor an area of need (given he can't really intercept, nor can he play on a key)
Edit: I probably think there are three on the list that should be delisted. I think we keep Poulter, delist Baker, Keath retires and Gardner I'd delist but he's contracted until 2044.
I'd say it's not so much 2nd club players as previously delisted players. This year we have 6 players who fit that description (Baker, Duryea, Poulter, Bramble, McNeil and Gardner, excluding Liam Jones). I havent checked but I presume that number is close to if not the highest in the league.
I think that's a fair assessment. My thoughts on Baker and Poulter above.

Knew it would likely be him, if we do make a pick. We were never going to venture outside our safe space of Footscray based players. Was always going to be Bianco. Personally I rather preserve the list spot for the off season. Cannot see him personally locking down a permanent best 22 spot long term. I feel likes its a case of us being so desperate for more outside players in the team, we'd overlook the other stuff, such as lack of pace, damage. Who is he going to push out of the team over the second half of the season?

We seriously need to stop bringing in "role" players. Yes every team has and needs role players. But our record with them is dismal. Wasting picks and list spots. Barely any have become long term regular best 22 players for us, if any at all. Doc and Jones worked because they were best 22 at their previous clubs,. The club keeps making the same mistakes year after year. Which is why we fall short of being a top four team despite a few gun players. We can't nail those support/bottom six roles. Happy to be proven wrong this time though.
Article said they are considering it doesn’t mean they will take him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back