List Mgmt. Trade & F/A - 2018/2019 - Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think you're right. Once there is a separate governing body putting rules in place, we seem to be hard wired to try to exploit them in a way we wouldn’t if we were the ones agreeing on the rules. Thus, rule making governing bodies should be avoided unless scale makes it unavoidable. 18 members shouldn't make it unavoidable. But we are where are. We've got 18 members all creatively looking for loopholes to exploit. Like the govt with tax laws, the AFL are left continually scrambling to close loopholes, whilst accidentally opening up new ones.
The only way to lessen the chaos is to start EMPLOYING professionals instead of political appointees and yes men. Perhaps some truly professional people at AFL house will improve things.

Ask Fitzroy supporters what they think of Ross O.

Oakley a visionary?? The peanut was in charge during a period which almost culminated in the deaths of Richmond, WB, Melbourne, Hawthorn and Fitzroy. All of whom have combined for 7 premierships (excluding the Lions 3) since he departed. The man was a maniac and the only positive he brought to the game was expansion to save stupid clubs like ours and the Tigers!

Gold Coast got $23 million from the AFL last year.
We got $11 million, the lowest of any club.
Why?
Excellent point,
I have lived here for 30 odd years and yes we have a thriving comp in terms of juniors etc,
The thing is the Gold Coast is what I would call a tourist town,
People that live here as in expats could not give a rats re the suns or the bears.
They attended games to see the club they support.
Would I go to a Suns v Richmond game um nope not a chance.

Pardon? We’re talking a $1 billion + industry with the highest paid players wage having not increased in quarter of a century and the CEO’s wage now a quarter of a club’s entire salary cap yet player wages are ridiculously high? The AFLPA have done a piss poor job, IMO.
I said salaries are too high. I wasn't talking just about players, I was talking about the whole industry. It's become one of those industries where you get paid 3 times as much as you'd get paid for doing the same thing in a different industry. Jobs are too numerous too. Clubs are struggling to break even despite the size of the industry and are relying on handouts, because they payout too much to salaries and subcontractors.

I said salaries are too high. I wasn't talking just about players, I was talking about the whole industry. It's become one of those industries where you get paid 3 times as much as you'd get paid for doing the same thing in a different industry. Jobs are too numerous too. Clubs are struggling to break even despite the size of the industry and are relying on handouts, because they payout too much to salaries and subcontractors.

No they really aren’t. Run a comparison v the government sector and I guarantee the professional roles are nowhere near as high. Then run a comparison v the private sector for the executive roles of comparable industry sizes. Maybe go ask someone working in a clubs media or membership department whether the industry salaries are high?

As someone working in the industry the University sector is one where salaries are astronomical!

The problem is the keeping up with the Jones’ mentality that sees minnow clubs trying to align expenses with the upper end of town. They can’t compete and rack up incredible debt.

So will there be any Trades Tomorrow?

Collingwood, no. League wide, 50/50. You won’t see anything really move until next week when the big dominos start to fall (Kelly, Daniher, Papley, Hill and Crouch) after they’ve had next weekend to negotiate. The reason it takes so long is all the little deals get intertwined with the big deals.

There’s always a load bearing beam and in this case it’s Sydney with Papley and Daniher. Once they blink things will happen (Cameron, Martin, Crouch, Ryder and Fantasia are all probably wrapped up in it).

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Still baffled that a Tasmanian team wasn’t prioritised over the Gold Coast, even GWS. Personally I’d like the AFL to make Tassie, ACT and NT teams a long term goal now instead of talking about reduced seasons. 21 teams playing each other once solves most of the inequity in the draw and makes the comp truly National.

Needed 2x teams in QLD and Sydney to enable live viewing capacity for footy every weekend.

Collingwood, no. League wide, 50/50. You won’t see anything really move until next week when the big dominos start to fall (Kelly, Daniher, Papley, Hill and Crouch) after they’ve had next weekend to negotiate. The reason it takes so long is all the little deals get intertwined with the big deals.

There’s always a load bearing beam and in this case it’s Sydney with Papley and Daniher. Once they blink things will happen (Cameron, Martin, Crouch, Ryder and Fantasia are all probably wrapped up in it).
Like last year - was Neale to Brisbane the first domino to fall, and that got the May and Hogan deals all done after?

I gave my answers. We won’t see a Collingwood deal done and the only deals league wide I’m seeing done are Keath to the Bulldogs or Patton to the Hawks.

I saw that after I posted mine and Deleted the Post.

Cameron won’t be finalised until after the Papley/ Daniher trade which will be the final day.

That is the most Likely Outcome.

I also think we want more then a Straight Swap of Picks/Player for Player

Like last year - was Neale to Brisbane the first domino to fall, and that got the May and Hogan deals all done after?

That’s my memory of it Fremantle (or more specifically Bell) dug their heals in on both Hogan and Neale which held everything up.

No they really aren’t. Run a comparison v the government sector and I guarantee the professional roles are nowhere near as high. Then run a comparison v the private sector for the executive roles of comparable industry sizes. Maybe go ask someone working in a clubs media or membership department whether the industry salaries are high?

As someone working in the industry the University sector is one where salaries are astronomical!

The problem is the keeping up with the Jones’ mentality that sees minnow clubs trying to align expenses with the upper end of town. They can’t compete and rack up incredible debt.
You may be right if judging industry size solely on revenue and not on other factors.

Club CEOs and other guys in the industry might be in charge of an organisation with a large revenue stream. But theyre really pretty small organisations. I don't really know the full scope of Ned Guy's job, but I'd be willing to bet he's getting paid a damn site more than he would be in a different industry for getting performance appraisals and projections done and managing the salaries of 45 staff. In a different industry, how much would Bucks get paid for overseeing the production of 45 producers. Obviously the media expectations make these jobs more demanding than equivalents in different industry, but I still think that wages are too high. It's a boys club that overvalues the work of the boys in the club.

That is the most Likely Outcome.

I also think we want more then a Straight Swap of Picks/Player for Player

It’s quite possible. For instance Carlton may not want to give 9 for Papley and may split their picks to get both him and Martin. Sydney will want a top 10 pick for Papley, but may settle for two in the teens one of which goes to Essendon and one may get worked in with the Cameron deal. If that happens it might hinge on Geelong getting 9 because they’ll have two in the teens, but not until Kelly gets done. Then we may have St a Kilda holding up the Hill deal to get Geelong’s two firsts which would also hold up the Jones deal impacting again on the Papley deal... That in a nutshell is why things take so long.

You may be right if judging industry size solely on revenue and not on other factors.

Club CEOs and other guys in the industry might be in charge of an organisation with a large revenue stream. But theyre really pretty small organisations. I don't really know the full scope of Ned Guy's job, but I'd be willing to bet he's getting paid a damn site more than he would be in a different industry for getting performance appraisals and projections done and managing the salaries of 45 staff. In a different industry, how much would Bucks get paid for overseeing the production of 45 producers. Obviously the media expectations make these jobs more demanding than equivalents in different industry, but I still think that wages are too high. It's a boys club that overvalues the work of the boys in the club.

The list manager is akin to a HR director who would be on hundreds of thousands at a $50m company. Hell I know for a fact a HR manager within a certain government department is on more than the average AFL wage (which is a pisstake for the role they fill). Trust me on this one AFL salaries aren’t high and the primary reason is because the funding of grass roots footy which doesn’t happen in other similar sized industries.

Anyway I’m out because there’s only so many ways I can explain this for you to not take it on board and economics is not what I want to be discussing on my Sunday afternoon...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back