Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 9, 2004
Where No Birds Fly
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide/Sturt/Wingfield
No not from Keilor to Dumpsme etc

The Indian Pacific , the Overlander , the Ghan or even the Orient Express or the daddy of them all the Trans Siberian Railway

I grew up in a train town ie its sole existence was as a train junction and have always been fascinated by trains and where they go...no havent become the nerdish train spotter. Going to my grandmothers meant jumping on the BlueBird the run between Adelaide and Mt Gambier and I always enjoyed the experience..its where I first learnt to play ''cheat'' at cards and also found out that me and tomato juice need to be kept at a distance.

Recently( due to circumstances beyond my control) I found an opportunity to do the Adelaide Perth leg of the Indian Pacific ...sitting in a daynighter seat ie cheap pr*cks seats and was fascinated by the whole experience. From overseas backpackers to people scared of flying( me) and retirees .

While overall it was a boring cramped smelly trip I quite enjoyed the experience and would like to do the sleeper trip and see how it compares. The interesting thing was watching people get changed in front of me and not caring.

What have been your experiences either here or overseas

My experiences:

Indian Pacific from Sydney to Perth and return.
Three months around the US using Amtrak.
Moscow to St.Petersburg and return

I love trains. I would love to go back to Russia and do the whole Tran-Siberian trip from Moscow to Vladivostok or Beijing.

Not many train experience, going to Adelaide from Melbourne later in the year most probably, so I'll let you know how it goes.

By the way, PC im the same with any thing aviation, not nerdish as such but everything about it fascinates me and has so from a early ages, not to sure why but yeah, thought id share.

• Banned
guess_who said:
By the way, PC im the same with any thing aviation, not nerdish as such but everything about it fascinates me and has so from a early ages, not to sure why but yeah, thought id share.
I think for me it was being exposed to it through my dad and just growing up in an era when the older style were around

I would love to do the Trans-Siberian, a mate of mine has done it and said while it was 'tough' he met some great people and has some fantastic memories. Russian soldiers sharing vodka with him etc..
My biggest train trip would probably have been in France on the TGV, my ears popped as the train started to gather speed out of Paris.

AlwaysCarlton said:
My biggest train trip would probably have been in France on the TGV, my ears popped as the train started to gather speed out of Paris.

I have been on the TGV aswell in France...I remember looking out of the window and everything was a blur it was going so fast. I also have done the Eurail bit around Europe, I quite enjoyed that especially as the train passes through Switzerland and Austria those mountains are awesome to look at.

Dry Rot said:
Anyone else been on the Trans Manchurian? Harbin's a great place during the Ice Festival.
Personally i've never been to china,but i know people who have been on the Trans Manuchurian to Harbin.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Last year I travelled with a friend from Almaty to Semey (Semipalitinsk) in Kazakhstan on the Turkestan-Siberian Railway. It took 20-22 hours each way whereas flying would have been two hours each way. All but about two or three hours is passing through steppe (desert). On the way to Semey we travelled in a 4-berth kupa with a Russian guy and a Cuban geologist named Jose... go figure. It was kind of funny to have an Aussie and Cuban riding in the same kupa through Kazakhstan... probably not all that typical.

A one-way ticket cost a little under AU$40. On the way back we travelled in plaatskart which is open bedding... reminded me of old war films. Fortunately we had good company so it was enjoyable ride back... the ticket cost less than $20 as well.

Every few hours the train would stop at some god-foresaken town, locals would be lined up along the train tracks with tables of produce to sell to travellers. That would be a tough life. It can get boring but a trip like that is something you should do at least once in your life. And yes I did drink vodka with a local. ;)

I've done a few trips in Europe on high-speed trains, nice but kind of expensive; it may be cheaper to fly in some cases. The train system in the Netherlands is pretty good... though the slickest trains I've been on are the bullet trains in Japan. Although the rail passes are expensive it's really the only way you'd want to get around in Japan.

LMAO at best name for a quick train we could come up with was VFT ("Very Fast Train). Little wonder they never built it!

As an aside, I think some of my pooh is still spread over a 2 kilometer stretch between Hanoi and Sapa, along with my good lady's vomit (she was somewhat pregnant the time).

It's been a long time since I've travelled in Australia on a train, but did the Adel- Melb run quite a few times which used to be a really cheap option compared to flights. Never enjoyed sitting up all night though - can't remember getting any decent amount of sleep.

Also did the Adel- Perth trip (one-way) and had a great time. Playing cards and having a few beers was fun (seeing as I was only 16 at the time). First-class sleeper made it a fairly comfortable trip. I wouldn't do it again though -I'm sure it would get too boring.

Travelled on a couple of trains in England and Italy. It's a fairly easy way of getting around compared to road travel.

Wouldn't mind doing the Ghan trip when going to the NT. Not sure if I will yet, but the NT is my next holiday destination.

Did the Murwillumbah(nth NSW) - to Sydney to Melbourne trip a couple of years back. Unfortunatley it left M-Bah just after sunset and arrived in Sydney at sunrise, then had a 8 or so hour stop over in Sydney before the MElb connection left in the very late afternoon.

So all I saw out my window was blackness. I shared a bottle of Johnnie with my GF of the time on the first leg so slept through 3/4 of the 1st leg, and dont recall the 2nd leg at all so I possibly drunk more there.. Actually now I think of it, we spent the arvo in Sydney drinking so I probably crashed out soon as I got on teh train.

Would love to do the Syd-Perth trip one day. Sometimes the best part of a holiday isnt the destination itself, but how you get there.

utility said:
A one-way ticket cost a little under AU$40. On the way back we travelled in plaatskart which is open bedding... reminded me of old war films. Fortunately we had good company so it was enjoyable ride back... the ticket cost less than $20 as well.

I travelled plaatskart from Moscow-St.Petersburg. Definitely a fun way to travel and meet people.

London Underground tube trains were pretty good. Very, very cramped obviously and plenty of cranks on board but very efficiant way of getting about the city.

That, Puffing Billy and a freight train full of coal one of my uncles used to drive for ANL would be about the only experiences I'd have of railway travel.

Would like to see passenger trains in this city again, they were closed in 1974.

Done a few train journeys.

The trip from Melb, to Adelaide, then there to Perth. Uneventful to say the least.

Numerous trips around Britain which was fantastic as there were so many places to see, ditto around Europe.

Did a bit of Canada's west as well.

But my best experience was the Orient Express from Vienna to Venice. Can't remember how long it took but all I know is that at Venice I threw up down the side of the train in the Venice station. Seriously ill and spent the next day in bed.

Fantastic trip up the Rhine as well. Lovely views and very interesting people to meet along the way.

Would love to do the silk route through Russia and China though. Now that would be different.

The Overland trip is a bore. Takes far too long.

Done Melbourne to Brisbane, by the old Southern Aurora to Sydney and XPT to Brisbane, then back via Murwillumbah. Nothing flash
Wouldn't mind doing the Ghan trip and quite enjoy the Southern Encounter vintage train from Adelaide to Victor Harbour and some of the special runs to the Barossa Valley.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back