Universal Love Triple Premiership Memories

Remove this Banner Ad

Chasing the Dream

I'm Matthew Campbell from Sportsbet
Brisbane Lions - Pearce Hanley Player Sponsor 2014 Brisbane Lions - Ryan Harwood 2011 Player Sponsor Brisbane Lions - Tom Rockliff 2012 Player Sponsor Brisbane Lions - Daniel Merrett 2008 Player Sponsor Brisbane Lions - Simon Black 2010 Player Sponsor
Sep 29, 2004
The GABBA is my home
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Jets, Padres, USC, Utah Jazz
I am literally sitting in the front row of the old Fitzroy Grandstand at the Brunswick Street Oval as I type this. Tomorrow we honour those players who helped us enjoy triple Premiership success.

10 years since we heard the call of "Back to Back to Back" I thought I would start this thread so we can share our Premiership memories.

I have a heap of them, that is for sure and sitting here right now reminds me of probably my favorite.

It's the morning after the day before and this place was pumping. As I walked up to the Brunswick Street Oval, it seemed that the first person I saw was Bulldog Murray himself, proud as punch he was, posing for photos with anyone and everyone.

Then we waited for the team to arrive. From memory, the bus couldn't get on the oval as someone had parked across the entry, bit foggy about those details exactly, but it was soon repaired and the boys were presented to what felt like a million fans.

Never felt pride in a team line that before. Was truly amazing.

I'll post some of my other memories later, but would certainly enjoy to hear others!

Win, lose or draw tomorrow, I'll be there, supporting the boys. I was hooked well and truly before any of those Premierships (hooked in about 1978 if I recall correctly). But what 2001-2002-2003 gave me was the reason I love this game, and the reason I stick by these guys when it is not going that great. It's the reason I chase the dream!!

Yeh the good old days. Fond memories of seeing a super, and hopefully not once in a lifetime, lions outfit tear it out day in day out

I remember walking out onto the concourse bit from my seat at almost every opportunity to escape the cold in the nosebleeds of the Great Southern Stand in 2003.

I remember singing the song halfway through the 3rd quarter because we were up and holding my phone up in the air so my girlfriend (now my wife) could hear the noise and the singing of a joyous Lions crowd.

I remember my mate trying to get us killed by over celebrating in the face of Pies supporters when leaving the ground.

I remember buying WEG posters at the ground and trying to care for them all night without crushing them.

I remember catching the tram to Brunswick Street Oval the next morning with scarves and beanies proudly worn and the looks of other passengers.

I remember mingling with the players and the crowd at Brunswick and the sense of jubilation that was there.

I only got to go to 1 winning GF (went in '04 too :( ) but have plenty of memories....

I also remember house sitting my mates house in 2002 and the power going out about halfway through the game. Without a license I couldn't get anywhere and missed a massive chunk of the game. But I think this is thread is about positive memories ;)

I remember the bloke covered in Fitzroy tattoo's happening to be sitting right in front of us in 2001.

I remember the 'game over Joffa' banner in the cheer squad, think that was 2003.

I remember almost not making it to the game in 2002 due to a death in the family (negative connotations to that day for me).

I remember suiting up in a poncho in 2002.

I remember the after match celebrations which seemed to go all night for 16 year old me.

I remember the family day at Brunswick street. I don't think I'll ever forget that.

I remember Voss's dance in front of the three cups as it was one of the funniest things I've seen to this day. Clearly still feeling the effects of the night before!

So many great memories....the three that stick out are:

2001 - Sarcastically offering my handkerchief to the Essendon faithful after Luke Power's goal in the 4th. 2002 - Top deck of the old Olympic stand (wet wooden seats), watching the game through an enclosed poncho.
2003 - Heading to the MCG knowing we we're going to win a third GF in a row was surreal :D.

Another great memory for me was in 2002. Had a huge night and was sitting in the Subway store in Swanston Street having breakfast when Mrs CtD motioned outside.

There was Beau McDonald in the back of the team bus waving the Premiership Cup to us!!!

2002 was the scary one for me. Shocking conditions and a game no one expected us to lose!!

I remember the experience of going to get my first gf ticket that my club was playing in and the joy that I got from seeing fellow Lions supporters getting theirs as well.

I remember the wave of optimism at half time in 2001 as Essendon squandered opportunities and we began to assert our authority.

I remember the look of fear on the Essendon players eyes as they left the field at half time, knowing that they were going to be hunted in the 2nd half.

I remember almost passing out as Voss kicked the sealer and ran around in front of us and the wave of emotion as 25 years of despair was cast aside.

I will never forget Jonathon Brown running back with the ball against the Hawks in 2002 in Round 17 , getting smashed yet taking the mark and then calmly slotting the goal and the other 17 players that ran to him that signalled the start of his year. I remember the belief that it gave me that we would win the flag again.

I remember basking in Standing Room during Q3 & Q4 of 2003, just enjoying the greatest team that we'll ever have put on a clinic and watching 'Pies supporters turn on themselves.

I remember Brunswick Street on the Sundays after each GF and the tremendous feeling amongst the crowd.

I remember telling myself to enjoy it - because it would never happen again

Wow, the memories...I was playing footy and studying over in WA in 2001 and once l realised we were a chance at making the Grand Final, I booked a flight to Melbourne knowing that either my fellow Lions supporting family and friends would get me a ticket. Normally I fly with Qantas, but the only flight I could get was with Ansett. Lo and behold, days later, Ansett go belly up and you literally cannot get a ticket out of Perth on then, the only domestic carrier, Qantas.

Whilst devastated at the situation, I was left with no other choice but to drive...only problem was, would I make it. I left on the Tuesday despite a mother's insistence not to do it, I went for it, driving at night and got in to a relived Mum in time for the GF Parade in the early hours of Friday morning. We were able to score fantastic seats on the wing and fortunately enough had a fair few other Lions fans around us to enjoy it with. Magical day...and night.

So many memories between then and the following Monday morning when I had to make the arduous drive back over, with Lions scarf hanging out the back window, although Mum insisted on the old man accompanying me for the drive over...what memories.

Great thread Chasing the Dream:thumbsu:

I remember <snip> watching 'Pies supporters turn on themselves.

Didn't they what?!?! Turned on each other, the players, the coach, everyone. Was quite eye opening to see the filth and rubbish they were flying around.

I remember the next year when we were in the same situation all I felt was deflated and down. Remember thinking how honoured we were to have seen this team, how tough they battled to get to that 4th one and how they'd just ran out of gas in the end. Never once did I see Lions fans sledging our own... admittedly we'd had 3 years of glory before that to help relieve the wound...

But watching Pies supporters that day back in '03 was... err... interesting.

Didn't they what?!?! Turned on each other, the players, the coach, everyone. Was quite eye opening to see the filth and rubbish they were flying around.

I remember the next year when we were in the same situation all I felt was deflated and down. Remember thinking how honoured we were to have seen this team, how tough they battled to get to that 4th one and how they'd just ran out of gas in the end. Never once did I see Lions fans sledging our own... admittedly we'd had 3 years of glory before that to help relieve the wound...

But watching Pies supporters that day back in '03 was... err... interesting.

Greatest supporting day of my life, a surreal feeling as some have said, very rare you get to sit back and just enjoy a Grand Final that your team is in from half time on against the most hated team in the comp, top day, top day.

Greatest supporting day of my life, a surreal feeling as some have said, very rare you get to sit back and just enjoy a Grand Final that your team is in from half time on against the most hated team in the comp, top day, top day.

Yeah having the tenseness associated with 02, 03 was a dream GF to attend, for the same very reasons.

I distinctly remember the feeling of hopelessness in 2003. I arrive in Melbourne on the Wednesday I think it was and no one seemed to give us a chance.

Was a massive round trip as we had driven to Sydney, returned Sunday to the Gold Coast, a great mate had lined up for the tickets, I picked them up Monday night and basically headed off to Melbourne by car!!

Was worth every second. The nervous feeling of GF tension was replaced with overwhelming joy at about the 20 minute mark of the first quarter.

We were never going to lose it from there!!!

I really started following the Lions about '97 just after the merger. I remember watching a very ordinary '98 season before things started to improve.

Mostly, looking back I am happy to have been there from the lows to the highs. That's the greatest thing about following a club I think: seeing the low point, the gradual improvement, challenging the top teams, finals, grand finals.

It will happen again.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My first memory of the 2001 season was going to the MCG and watching the Tigers best us in a rubbish match.

Walking out after the game a Tigers fan turned and said "well neither of these teams will challenge this year"

Wonder what he thought 6 months later?

I agreed with him at the time!! The next week we got smashed at the Dome on a really wet day outside. I remember actually wishing they would open the roof as it might have kept it closer :)

Some fairly good memories came back today for some reason!!

I remember walking out onto the concourse bit from my seat at almost every opportunity to escape the cold in the nosebleeds of the Great Southern Stand in 2003.

I remember singing the song halfway through the 3rd quarter because we were up and holding my phone up in the air so my girlfriend (now my wife) could hear the noise and the singing of a joyous Lions crowd.

I remember my mate trying to get us killed by over celebrating in the face of Pies supporters when leaving the ground.

I remember buying WEG posters at the ground and trying to care for them all night without crushing them.

I remember catching the tram to Brunswick Street Oval the next morning with scarves and beanies proudly worn and the looks of other passengers.

I remember mingling with the players and the crowd at Brunswick and the sense of jubilation that was there.

I only got to go to 1 winning GF (went in '04 too :( ) but have plenty of memories....

I also remember house sitting my mates house in 2002 and the power going out about halfway through the game. Without a license I couldn't get anywhere and missed a massive chunk of the game. But I think this is thread is about positive memories ;)
:eek:

If only the power had gone out halfway through in 2004 :(

These are just such happy brilliant memories, as they should be....

I was at the 02 GF...we were given tickets through a work connection of Mr MM.

They failed to mention it was slap bang in the middle of the Pies members stand!

I cried all the way home! My day was spoiled by these disgusting people. We couldn't move, nowhere to move too, no empty seats..

..eventually we left. Their abuse is something I will never forget.

..and neither will I forgive the person who gave us the tickets. Would rather have stayed home and watched it on the tv.

But, on a much happier note, I went to every GF parade...... that was something to see!!....all the Lions colours and flags.....and the people, my god, I swear we outnumbered the Pies!

These are just such happy brilliant memories, as they should be....

I was at the 02 GF...we were given tickets through a work connection of Mr MM.

They failed to mention it was slap bang in the middle of the Pies members stand!

I cried all the way home! My day was spoiled by these disgusting people. We couldn't move, nowhere to move too, no empty seats..

..eventually we left. Their abuse is something I will never forget.

..and neither will I forgive the person who gave us the tickets. Would rather have stayed home and watched it on the tv.

But, on a much happier note, I went to every GF parade...... that was something to see!!....all the Lions colours and flags.....and the people, my god, I swear we outnumbered the Pies!

I was also at the 2002 GF and cannot believe how cold it was,had so many layers of clothes on and still froze.
Was going up to the home town after for a visit ,where I have a Collingwood mad brother and family
Three quarter time I am thinking, no damn way I am going up there if we lose.
That was such a tense one and more of a relief than anything, when we won.

2003 watching from home after having a very tumultuous year, my Pies supporting brother in law rang at half time.
Congratulations,he said ,you are too bloody good.
yep there are Pies fans :thumbsu: and there are Pies fans:thumbsdown:

2001, I cried from 3 quarter time, never in all my dreams did I believe we would win a premiership.
It was just magical.

They were just such amazing times, so glad I was around to see it all happen

Remove this Banner Ad

Back