Who would win?

• 2023 Brisbane Lions

Votes: 5 13.9%
  • 2002 Brisbane Luons/Lions

Votes: 31 86.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Not many current Lions would make a combined side IMO.

Combined side from the 3Peat era and 2019-23 Lions >

Chris Johnson, Mal Michael, Darryl White.
Harris Andrews, Justin Leppitsch, Luke Power.

Clark Keating, Michael Voss, Simon Black.
Lachie Neale, Nigel Lappin, Jason Akermanis.

Charlie Cameron, Jonathan Brown, Craig McRae.
Shaun Hart, Alistair Lynch, Daniel Bradshaw.

Bench- Hugh McCluggage, Marcus Ashcroft, Dayne Zorko, Martin Pike.

Sub- Ryan Lester.:p

Bailey over McRae for me.

Is it total heresy to suggest that there's a conversation about the 2001-03 version of Browny and current version of Daniher?

By about 05/06 Browny was up there as one of the best two or three key forwards in the game and stayed like that until the horriffic injuries in 2011. However the threepeat era version of him was more an incredibly promising young forward rather than the finished article.

I'd take Daniher over Bradshaw personally. Especially since he can pinch hit in the ruck with Keating.

Loved Hart but I think you could put Bailey there for extra pace. Also not sure if Zorko makes it on current form, would take Dunkley.

Ashcroft would lose his spot to Ashcroft in a few years as well ;)

Is it total heresy to suggest that there's a conversation about the 2001-03 version of Browny and current version of Daniher?
Yeah probably arguable. I like Joe in the team because there is only 1 ruckman and he'd do a better job pinch hitting than Brown/Bradshaw.

Looked at the numbers and Brady had a much better season in 02 than Browny, who was still quite young. So certainly a case for Joe in for one of those two.

I was going to post “A-hem” but the I saw your SUB. ✅

I'd take Daniher over Bradshaw personally. Especially since he can pinch hit in the ruck with Keating.

Loved Hart but I think you could put Bailey there for extra pace. Also not sure if Zorko makes it on current form, would take Dunkley.

Bailey over McRae for me.

By about 05/06 Browny was up there as one of the best two or three key forwards in the game and stayed like that until the horriffic injuries in 2011. However the threepeat era version of him was more an incredibly promising young forward rather than the finished article.
I contemplated Daniher over Bradshaw(underrated IMO) and Bailey over McRae/Hart but 3 flags tipped it, I really like what Linc has done for us as well.

Agree on Zorko this year but I was going on form from 2019 to now for this side.

Browny yes was nowhere near his peak 01-03 but just couldn't leave him out.

Hart is an interesting one. Watched the 2001 Qualifying Final and he was fantastic in that one and the went on to win the Norm Smith that year. The more replays from that era I have watched, the more I remember how deceptively quick he was. Swooped on loose balls and kicked goals on the run and on tough angles. Given that Hart was a pound for pound better tackler than Bailey, it is actually a coin toss between them.

Last edited:
Hart is an interesting one. Watched the 2001 Qualifying Final and he was fantastic in that one and the went on to win the Norm Smith that year. The more replays from that era I have watched, the more I remember how deceptively quick he was. Swooped on loose balls and kicked goals on the run and on tough angles. Given that Hart was a pound for pound better tackler than Bailey, it is actually a coin toss between them.

Looking at 2002 though and it's a big gap.

Hart: 12 avg disposals and 0.3 goals a game
Bailey: 17 avg disposals and 1.2 goals a game

Even if you look at 2001-2003 vs 2020-23, Bailey has him covered each year. Different eras etc and Hart was an amazing player but I think I'd just take Bailey over him, just.

If I had to pick between Hart and Bailey it would be Hart for me. Hart was a far tougher and disciplined player, and Bailey has not yet performed at Hart's level in big games. Will reconsider after these current players win the first of their three-peat this year.

If I had to pick between Hart and Bailey it would be Hart for me. Hart was a far tougher and disciplined player, and Bailey has not yet performed at Hart's level in big games. Will reconsider after these current players win the first of their three-peat this year.
Yes, they always say you need great role players and it probably undersells them a bit but Hart and McRae were that in spades... Robbie Copeland as well.

Looking at 2002 though and it's a big gap.

Hart: 12 avg disposals and 0.3 goals a game
Bailey: 17 avg disposals and 1.2 goals a game

Even if you look at 2001-2003 vs 2020-23, Bailey has him covered each year. Different eras etc and Hart was an amazing player but I think I'd just take Bailey over him, just.
Yep. I think I agree. Bailey can IGNITE!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Last edited:
if you measure them by strength against their contemporaries, the 2002 team was better. does that mean they would beat the 2023 team? i think for the question to be fair you have too many variables to come up with a good answer. does the 2002 team have all the fitness, technology and modern strategy / tactics that the 2023 team possess?
It’s a good question. Interestingly, there are still some players who serve as a connection with that era. Lester, Zorko and Rich all played with members of that 2002 team, most notably Black, Power and Brown.

Yes, they always say you need great role players and it probably undersells them a bit but Hart and McRae were that in spades... Robbie Copeland as well.
Loved Copeland.

You can tell it's the bye round can't you
Yep. I’d rather be doing this though. Gives us all a chance to relax and be personable and talk about the team we love. Much better than the alternative, which would be Nunez and BRAB starting a flame war about why Jack Gunston must play in the Preliminary and Grand Finals. People going on non stop about how slow Lyons is or questioning Ryan Lester’s selection. Then the guy that says we should drop Joe Daniher if he spills a mark or misses a sitter turns up. Suddenly it’s all bets are off and there’s mayhem on our board.

Last edited:
Yep. I’d rather be doing this though. Gives us all a chance to relax and be personable and talk about the team we love. Much better than the alternative, which would be Nunez and BRAB starting a flame war about why Jack Gunston must play in the Preliminary and Grand Finals. People going on non stop about how slow Lyons is or questioning Ryan Lester’s selection.
It's only Saturday. Don't count your chickens!

It's only Saturday. Don't count your chickens!
True, we could also argue about the Women’s Team I suppose. When are they going to sack Starcevich? That’s what I’d like to know!

Ok. Now that’s sorted, how do people think Brandon Starcevich would go on Akermanis if, for the purposes of the hypothetical, he lined up in a forward pocket? You would have to think Akermanis would be trying to drag Starcevich up the field and beat him in the sprint back to goals, in much the same manner that Cameron does.

What is Starcevich’s tank like? Could he try to run with Akermanis?

Last edited:
Last edited:
I have been watching a lot of old games, while I have been recuperating, with a focus on our 2001, 2002 and 2003 premiership campaigns. Which got me thinking.

Rotations, rules and use of interchange to one side, which of these two sides would win if we could go back in time?

There certainly are some amazing matchups.

B Starcevich Andrews Lester
F Akermanis Lynch White

HB McKenna Payne Coleman
HF Headland Brown Lappin

C Berry Robertson McCluggage
C Pike Voss Hart

HF Cameron Hipwood AhChee
HB Power Michael Ashcroft

F Rayner Daniher Bailey
B C.Scott Leppitsch Johnson

Fol McInerney Neal Dunkley
Fol Keating Black B.Scott

Interchange: Zorko, Wilmot, McCarthy, Lohmann

Interchange : McDonald, McCrae, Notting, Shattock

Sub:Lyons
Sub: Copeland

COACH Fagan
COACH Matthews

Who do people think would win and why?

I have cast my vote for the 2002 team, because the just look physically stronger.

Teams from the early 2000’s are basically pub teams compared to the standards now.

2023 Lions by 10 goals.

Back