Women's Footy Grand Final, 2023 - North Melbourne vs. Brisbane Lions

Who were your five best players against North Melbourne?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Oh my , that’s so awesome .
I nearly gave up at 3/4 time then Dakota turned up .
They all deserve this and should be so proud .
Wonderful season .Absolutely stoked , well done to everyone involved ,

This team keeps proving the media wrong media didn’t rate them this year. Because Bates Bodey and Wardlaw left.
And fair enough really, I'll put my hand up and say I thought that many goals disappearing from our team at once was a big loss. But they've proven every doubter, including me, very wrong in the best possible way.

Well done, Brisbane. Not the best home and away team but certainly the best team in November/December which is when it counts. Just like the triple premiership era teams of 20 years ago and only one flag behind Adelaide now!

Fantastic outcome for Queensland footy. Both teams make finals and one walks away with the cup.

Three delisted Suns players won flags this year lol
Three? Delisted?

Ellie Hampson traded to Brisbane
Taylor Smith traded to Brisbane

Who is the third? Hampson and Smith were traded after requesting a move to Brisbane, not delisted.

Surprised you're even bothering to think like that after winning a flag. Collingwood fans weren't pointing and laughing after winning a premiership with Markov this year. They were just happy to win the flag. Every team makes list blunders from time to time and I'm sure you wouldn't appreciate it if the Crows win the '24 flag and their fans start giving it to you for delisting Keays, but this was different to Keays as it was two players who requested trades. Just comes across as unnecessarily petty when you should be celebrating.

Well done, Brisbane. Not the best home and away team but certainly the best team in November/December which is when it counts. Just like the triple premiership era teams of 20 years ago and only one flag behind Adelaide now!

Fantastic outcome for Queensland footy. Both teams make finals and one walks away with the cup.

Three? Delisted?

Who is the third? Hampson and Smith were traded after requesting a move to Brisbane, not delisted.

Surprised you're even bothering to think like that after winning a flag. Collingwood fans weren't pointing and laughing after winning a premiership with Markov this year. They were just happy to win the flag. Every team makes list blunders from time to time and I'm sure you wouldn't appreciate it if the Crows win the '24 flag and their fans start giving it to you for delisting Keays, but this was different to Keays as it was two players who requested trades. Just comes across as unnecessarily petty when you should be celebrating.

It’s that old saying. Aflw flags aren’t won in checks notes September

Three? Delisted?

Markov is the third.

Three? Delisted?

Good job gritting your teeth through those forced platitudes before launching into your semantic whinge about player movement.

2023 Best on Ground voting​

15 – Breanna Koenen, Brisbane Lions – 33333
9 – Jasmine Garner, North Melbourne– 22221
5 – Belle Dawes, Brisbane Lions – 2111
1 – Natalie Grider, Brisbane Lions – 1

Judge votes (3, 2, 1)​

Abbie Holmes (Chair): Breanna Koenen, Belle Dawes, Jasmine Garner
Erin Phillips: Breanna Koenen, Jasmine Garner, Belle Dawes
Gemma Bastiani: Breanna Koenen, Jasmine Garner, Belle Dawes
Quentin Hull: Breanna Koenen, Jasmine Garner, Belle Dawes
Lauren Wood: Breanna Koenen, Jasmine Garner, Natalie Grider

Unanimous for Bre. No surprise there as she did it all on the day.

A superb even performance across the group. Will relish (with the sound on this time as it was too stressful!) the rewatch.

Three? Delisted?

To be fair you keep both if you wanted to keep them they'd have remained at the Suns. It was delist or trade, not a matter of losing players you wanted to keep.

Good job gritting your teeth through those forced platitudes before launching into your semantic whinge about player movement.
Believe it or not, I wanted Brisbane to win today. I think it's fantastic for footy in our state to have highly competitive teams in both cities. It was an outstanding effort to come back from 7 points down at 3/4 time too.

Markov is the third.
Markov is the only delisted Suns player to claim a flag this year.

It's a matter of accuracy. Delisting a player implies very poor list management and yes, I know my club has made blunders like this before but these two don't fall into that category.

To be fair you keep both if you wanted to keep them they'd have remained at the Suns. It was delist or trade, not a matter of losing players you wanted to keep.
I'm not so sure about that. Ellie Hampson was easily one of our best mids in 2022 and I'm sure we wanted to keep her internally but she wanted to leave. Can't really blame her considering the successes that have been achieved up the M1 so it would have been a pretty easy decision for her when Starc picked up the phone.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think Starc’s true quality lies in the fact that he doesn’t coach women who play AFL, he coaches AFLW, an important distinction. He understands the different nature of the game better than other coaches. It is congested and tight in lots of contests so tackling and pressure are critical. The ball will go to ground a lot.

Getting players to each contest, then either winning the ball or negating an opposition win are just so important, contest to contest to contest. Strategically, outlasting the opposition in that situation is really critical, as effort and concentration fall away I think he has trained our girls to maintain higher intensity for longer. It flattens out the advantage that taller, stronger, even more skilled teams might have. And it takes a huge amount of training and belief which he has given the girls.

It is why someone like Dawes is purpose built for contested AFLW footy. You can see it in Mullins, Grider, Koenen, Hodder, so many of them. Starc has really made it part of the team DNA. Get to a contest, don’t outright lose too many, win some, and clear to space ready for the next contest. The chances will come.

We won each of our finals by just doing that better.

Fabulous win! Great last quarter. Yeh for all of us Lions supporters who were loud and proud! And how good were the lions players who did the lap of the ground and did not refuse anyone a photo and happily hi fived all. i got to touch the cup! Special thanks to Dakota who took the longest lap ever - I swear she must have stopped to talk to every lions supporter along the fence. Well done.

What a win through huge adversity, what a club, one grand final loss, one grand final win, can only go 1 better next year
😉
GO LIONS!!!

Congratulations to all involved in winning the 2023 AFLW premiership.
The players did it on the day, but it takes a fair bit of effort from everyone involved.
The game was a hard fought one and a worthy one for a GF.

The importance of kicking straight in a final series.
GF: 7.2 one point was rushed (won by 17 points but behind by 7 at 3/4 time today)
PF: 6.2 (won by 4 points)
W1F: 6.3 (won by 2 points)

We made the most of our opportunities as you must do to win a GF.
Once again, we only took 4 marks inside 50.
But unlike games during the H & A season we converted them into 3 goals. Same efficiency in the other 2 finals.
Goals from the 4 marks inside 50: Davidson 2, Hansen 1.
Koenen with a loose ball get, goals from 40.
Lucky bounce goal to Mullins and an Orla snap from short range that rolled through on the goal line.
Goals from free kicks: Hanson 1 (North kicked 2 from free kicks)

Up to 3/4 time we were getting thrashed in clearances, but our tackle count helped us stay in the game.
The Lions turned this around and won the clearances in the last quarter (still lost by a big margin overall 41-25)
Winning the clearances in the 4th quarter went a long way to contributing to our 4 goals straight to Norths zero score.
That stat had to turn around for us to be a chance of winning.
Starcevich mentioned Koenen switched to midfield in the last.

Lions had a massive 110 tackles. The top four: Hodder 18, Isabel Dawes 13, Anderson 12 & Koenen 10.

What a captains game from Koenen who deservedly won the BOG award.

2023 Best on Ground voting​

15 – Breanna Koenen, Brisbane Lions – 33333
9 – Jasmine Garner, North Melbourne– 22221
5 – Belle Dawes, Brisbane Lions – 2111
1 – Natalie Grider, Brisbane Lions – 1

We struggled to move the ball effectively and couldn't win clearances for large parts of the game but because we kept up our intensity for the whole game we eventually just wore them down and they had nothing left in the last.

An amazing side that hates losing and finds a way regardless of the cattle we have out on the park.

That win, and the whole season, was pure grit. We get absolutely pillaged every year and we aren’t the best skilled side because of it. But to find a way like they did in the last was unbelievable. Really hard to not love this group. I’m sure McCarthy has gotten what she wanted out of her move but seeing her as an original to head to Vic and doing the interviewing at the cost of success made me smile.

The club needs to put Dakota front and centre from a marketing perspective. She’s one of the best personalities at the club and wears her heart on sleeve. Probably our most reliable kick for goal male or female too.

Back