Who would win?

• 2023 Brisbane Lions

Votes: 5 13.9%
  • 2002 Brisbane Luons/Lions

Votes: 31 86.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I have been watching a lot of old games, while I have been recuperating, with a focus on our 2001, 2002 and 2003 premiership campaigns. Which got me thinking.

Rotations, rules and use of interchange to one side, which of these two sides would win if we could go back in time?

There certainly are some amazing matchups.

B Starcevich Andrews Lester
F Akermanis Lynch White

HB McKenna Payne Coleman
HF Headland Brown Lappin

C Berry Robertson McCluggage
C Pike Voss Hart

HF Cameron Hipwood AhChee
HB Power Michael Ashcroft

F Rayner Daniher Bailey
B C.Scott Leppitsch Johnson

Fol McInerney Neal Dunkley
Fol Keating Black B.Scott

Interchange: Zorko, Wilmot, McCarthy, Lohmann

Interchange : McDonald, McCrae, Notting, Shattock

Sub:Lyons
Sub: Copeland

COACH Fagan
COACH Matthews

Who do people think would win and why?

I have cast my vote for the 2002 team, because the just look physically stronger.

Last edited:
I have been watching a lot of old games, while I have been recuperating, with a focus on our 2001, 2002 and 2003 premiership campaigns. Which got me thinking.

Rotations, rules and use interchange to one side, which of these two sides would win if we could go back in time?

B Starcevich Andrews Payne
F Akermanis Lynch White

HB McKenna Lester Coleman
HF Headland Brown Lappin

C Pike Voss Hart

F Rayner Daniher Bailey

COACH Fsgan
COACH Matthews

2002 rules or 2023 rules

2002 rules or 2023 rules
Either I guess. Let’s say people can pick. I think if it was 2023 rules, the 2002 side would be giving a lot of 50 metre penalties away for dissent. The current rules on deliberate out of bounds would really mean that Michael and Leppitsch would have to modify their approach.

Either I guess. Let’s say people can pick. I think if it was 2023 rules, the 2002 side would be giving a lot of 50 metre penalties away for dissent. The current rules on deliberate out of bounds would really mean that Michael and Leppitsch would have to modify their approach.
I think the current boys would be a bit soft to play back in 2002 era so the Premiership team would still be the Premiership team.
But yeah like you say, under the current rules the 02 boys would struggle and give away high free kicks, 50’s and all sorts and maybe the 23 team might take it out due to the 02 team forfeiting the game through free kicks.😂

2002 by 5 goals at least
I think Andrews would struggle with Lynch and Brown would be very hard to contain. I think it would be a battle of the forward lines, because I could see the 2023 forward line getting on top.

No offense to our current mids, but not sure how they hold a candle to Voss / Black / Lappin / Power.

The 2023 fwd line matches up well on the 2002 backline, mostly because now KPP are 200cm, but the avalanche of 6-6-6 goals the 2002 mids would generate, it would be a sight to behold.
It does look lopsided. I would back McInerney to beat Keating, but only just.

2002 Midfield rotations from: Voss, Black, Akermanis, Lappin, Power

2023 Midfield rotations from: Neale, Dunkley, Robertson, McCluggage and Bailey, Lyons

To borrow a phrase from cricket, the 2023 midfield has a long tail.

Rotations, rules and use interchange to one side, which of these two sides would win if we could go back in time?

B Starcevich Andrews Lester
F Akermanis Lynch White

HB McKenna Payne Coleman
HF Headland Brown Lappin

C Pike Voss Hart

F Rayner Daniher Bailey

COACH Fagan
COACH Matthews

I have cast my vote for the 2002 team, because the just look physically stronger.
All I can think of is . . .

Poor Dev!

All I can think of is . . .

Poor Dev!
Yeah, I know, but giving Robertson his due, he would have absolute crack at it. You could play Neale or Dunkley in there, but I couldn’t see them getting on top of Voss.

Last edited:

2002 team far better individually but the game has changed - fitness requirements and tactics primarily. If the 2002 team came through now with modern tactical understanding, then I'd pick them.

I think Leppa put out a combined team of the 3-peat lions and the tigers recent premership teams and basically split it between the two - mainly citing the demands of the modern game.

I've had to vote the 2023 Lions because I don't know that Luon existed in 2002, but I'd still back the guys to beat some stretch fabric.
Now look what I’ve done dlanod - tried to make the poll better and I made it worse. 🥹

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It does look lopsided. I would back McInerney to beat Keating, but only just.

2002 Midfield rotations from: Voss, Black, Akermanis, Lappin, Power

2023 Midfield rotations from: Neale, Dunkley, Robertson, McCluggage and Bailey, Lyons

To borrow a phrase from cricket, the 2023 midfield has a long tail.
Interesting all right.
I just can’t get past the 2002 midfield
It’s where the game would be won without a doubt
So much power,skill,running power they would dominate this present side.
That’s based on our lack of consistency with our ability to dominate that midfield battle over the year. If this current side had the pressure of our 2019 side then it would be a lot closer.
I do think our current forwards stack up well though and possibly our current backline could contain them .

Interesting all right.
I just can’t get past the 2002 midfield
It’s where the game would be won without a doubt
So much power,skill,running power they would dominate this present side.
That’s based on our lack of consistency with our ability to dominate that midfield battle over the year. If this current side had the pressure of our 2019 side then it would be a lot closer.
I do think our current forwards stack up well though and possibly our current backline could contain them .
I agree. The 2002 midfield would be very hard to stop. Some of the matchups are fascinating. I’d pay good money to watch:
McCluggage v Hart
Starcevich v Akermanis
Andrews v Lynch
Rayner v Chris Scott
Cameron v Power
If I was coaching the 2002 team I would flip key defenders and play Leppitsch on Hipwood and Michael on Daniher.

I agree. The 2002 midfield would be very hard to stop. Some of the matchups are fascinating. I’d pay good money to watch:
McCluggage v Hart
Starcevich v Akermanis
Andrews v Lynch
Rayner v Chris Scott
Cameron v Power
If I was coaching the 2002 team I would flip key defenders and play Leppitsch on Hipwood and Michael on Daniher.

Lynch would get Payne and we’d play Harris on whoever our third tall was in 02 (Bradshaw missed that grand final, so the resting ruck?) and just run off him and spoil or mark the long bombs to the square.

Lynchy would also be very confused by his opponent running off him in offense and him being left alone inside forward 50 while while the entire 2023 team is ahead of the centre square.

Lynch would get Payne and we’d play Harris on whoever our third tall was in 02 (Bradshaw missed that grand final, so the resting ruck?) and just run off him and spoil or mark the long bombs to the square.

Lynchy would also be very confused by his opponent running off him in offense and him being left alone inside forward 50 while while the entire 2023 team is ahead of the centre square.
Who would you play on Brown. That was my big concern to be honest.

Always a fun game to play but difficult for us as 2001-2003 was the greatest side of all time.

Lachie & Dunkley could hold their own in the midfield battle but ultimately it would be lost to the sheer power of 02'.

I think our current forward line would be 23s' greatest strength. Ashcroft & Scott weren't exactly rapid, Daniher is a difficult matchup because he wants to push up the ground, so you give him Leppa but then Hipwood out runs Michael.

Defensively I think Andrews is good enough to have a big impact but the rest start to lose some matchups.

02' Lions for me by 4 goals.

White was generally a defender under Matthews. That day he played on Tarrant if I recall correctly, changing with Keating in ruck after Beau went down early.
True. I believe the side I posted may have been the one submitted and we know they don’t always reflect reality. So does anyone recall who our forward pockets were? I’m pretty sure one was McCrae. Others?

True. I believe the side I posted may have been the one submitted and we know they don’t always reflect reality. So does anyone recall who our forward pockets were? I’m pretty sure one was McCrae. Others?
I’ve just watch he highlights and it is clear McCrae was playing somewhere that looked like Forward Pocket, but hard to tell. Matthews appears to have set up so that Lynch had as much space as possible and running around at his ankles I counted, Power, Hart, Akermanis. Headland as second tall and indeed, White at the start of the game. I leave it to wiser heads, but the reality is that the personnel are the same. Clearly having McDonald go down early meant the magnets had to be shuffled.
Before the Three-Peat Era, IIRC sometimes White would get a run up forward if we needed to go for desperate measures. Same with Chris Smith at Fitzroy.

Last edited:
if you measure them by strength against their contemporaries, the 2002 team was better. does that mean they would beat the 2023 team? i think for the question to be fair you have too many variables to come up with a good answer. does the 2002 team have all the fitness, technology and modern strategy / tactics that the 2023 team possess?

Back