TV Rights

Remove this Banner Ad

Optus has given us the best EPL product we've ever had.

Yoda just has really slow internet on Dagobah, his message only just got through from 6 years ago.

Would be the same whoever had the rights tbh. But they are doing a good job now definitely after the disastrous first few years.
Optus was fine in the first few years of EPL. A couple of issues but nothing that terrible.

It was World Cup in 18 that they really stuffed up

Optus was fine in the first few years of EPL. A couple of issues but nothing that terrible.

It was World Cup in 18 that they really stuffed up

The first season was a shocker. Games cutting out, random incorrect games appearing etc etc when you try and stream. Optus got drilled pretty hard on social media for it. Plus the shambolic attempt to tie EPL subs to phone plans which was quickly scrapped.

Was lucky enough to have the set up correct from the outset, with the fetch box. It’s been flawless for me since the beginning, now with the smart tv app it’s even better.

It's great these days. PS5 app a bonus.

All that's needed is a Viida app for hi end Hisense TVs.

The only fault (still ongoing) with Optus for me has been the PQ. Early days, while nbn rollout was still happening, the frustrations for most involved the web/app/replays being played in 25fps. This was always avoidable using Fetch, from day one. A more palatable 50fps these days has alleviated this, although replays/on demand may still remain the lower figure.

Apart from that, the other main issue is/was the lack of follow-thru on beefing up PQ from 720p to 1080p, let alone 4K. It was briefly listed on most apps running up to 1080p, before the apps switched back to “High, Low or Auto”...pretty slack

personally I preferred the UEFA years compared to the current offerings as those comps are the ones that I follow the most outside PL Naturally, I would prefer an amalgamation of sorts for all football comps, but do agree that the PL offering is the best we’ve ever had in Aus…

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As for physical attendance, not sure what's wrong with going Christmas Eve.

There's Big Bash games on that get pretty well attended that night. If anything, it'd help parents get a slightly later start to the Christmas shenanigans.

The issue would be getting back home from the games the night before Christmas. Imagine Newcastle are away at Bournemouth...

How many fly interstate for those Big Bash games?

The issue would be getting back home from the games the night before Christmas. Imagine Newcastle are away at Bournemouth...

How many fly interstate for those Big Bash games?
Yeah so if it was organised smartly, it's still achievable. Idk, I get it may not be ideal but I do think the TV audiences would be absolutely huge so I can see why they'd want to do it.

Think it's harder in Aus, everything is far more spread out.

Yeah so if it was organised smartly, it's still achievable. Idk, I get it may not be ideal but I do think the TV audiences would be absolutely huge so I can see why they'd want to do it.

Think it's harder in Aus, everything is far more spread out.

Think that's the point though, it's a decision with TV audiences in mind first and foremost.

When has the fixturing ever been done smartly? Haha.

Dunno about it being harder in Aus, people just don't travel for those sorts of games on Christmas Eve or whenever. Football fans would be desperate to go to every game they can. Boxing Day is doable because it's post Christmas and everyone has a bit of time off. Doing it in the lead up is much tougher.

Think that's the point though, it's a decision with TV audiences in mind first and foremost.

Dunno about it being harder in Aus, people just don't travel for those sorts of games on Christmas Eve or whenever. Football fans would be desperate to go to every game they can. Boxing Day is doable because it's post Christmas and everyone has a bit of time off. Doing it in the lead up is much tougher.

Might work having BBL debries on Xmas eve and that's about it.

Booked my airfares for A-League magic round in January! Can't wait, going to be epic!

Catching MVFC ladies on Fri night at Lecihardt than to Allianc for CCM game followed by Adelaide United game.

Wonder how Paramount / Ten will go covering so many games at once?

It's absolutely harder in Aus. Look at A League crowds. Even when it's relatively local, most won't travel. Hell, even in the AFL, most won't travel. Away supporters are normally based in that city, rather than a whole lot of supporters traveling interstate.

You're absolutely right on the smart fixturing. They could do something awesome with it. Have it as essentially a rivalry round. As many local derbies as possible. Raise funds for charities etc.

Booked my airfares for A-League magic round in January! Can't wait, going to be epic!

Catching MVFC ladies on Fri night at Lecihardt than to Allianc for CCM game followed by Adelaide United game.

Wonder how Paramount / Ten will go covering so many games at once?

I am sure for TV purposes, all matches will have their own time slots on each day. 1 PM (Allianz Stadium), 3 PM (Commbank Stadium), 5 PM (Allianz Stadium), 7 PM (Commbank Stadium) for example. Gives stadium organisers time to clear out the stadium before the next match starts a few hours later.

I am sure for TV purposes, all matches will have their own time slots on each day. 1 PM (Allianz Stadium), 3 PM (Commbank Stadium), 5 PM (Allianz Stadium), 7 PM (Commbank Stadium) for example. Gives stadium organisers time to clear out the stadium before the next match starts a few hours later.

There are two W-League games and 2 A-League games on Friday night simultaneously at Leichardt / CommBank.

Assume the time slots for those will be 6pm W-League and 8pm A League.

Don't think there will be a clear out of the stauim, next fixture will follow right away. There wouldn't be time for the Friday night fixtures.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back