Two year lame duck period begins

StrappingTape

Feb 29, 2012
We are now entering into our first ever lame duck period of coaching in our 150 year history. It's amazing that the leadership managed to achieve this but here we are, stuck with a coach for 2 years that everyone knows is not being renewed at the end of this period. Questions that arise in my mind:

1. How are the players going to react to this next year?
2. In 2025 when we all know he's going, is anyone on the playing list going to give a s**t about how we do knowing the guy in charge isn't going to be there?
3. Are we going to get the same apathy to contracted players past 2025 who know they are able to wait the coach out now.
4. What exactly is there to look forward? When everyone's now just watching the calendar, we already know we aren't going to make a GF let alone win a permiership. The atmosphere at our games was already terrible, it's going to be like a golf crowd now.
5. How do we get any accountability for this shitshow?

1. We will play poorly next year. Expecting us to miss finals as Ken is safe for now.
2. If it’s unclear in 2025 whether Hinkley plans to leave, we’ll have a similar year to this year - win enough to make finals, media will spin the same BS about needing to sign him asap, etc.
3. Players will play well enough if it gets Ken another contract
4. Player development I guess
5. Stop spending money on the club

Happy Groundhog Day!

There's no point to the next 2 years, everyone inside and outside the club knows he's going by end of 2025 so subconsciously or not people inside the club, players etc will perform to that. 2025 especially knowing he's going, no one is going to give a *, I just don't see how it works at all.

but here we are, stuck with a coach for 2 years that everyone knows is not being renewed at the end of this period.

carn mate we absolutely do not know this, in fact history would tell us he's probably getting renewed again

100% we are lame ducks, lame *s and whatever else. But we can't even say with confidence this is going to be the last 2 years

Driving Bill Murray GIF by Laff

You honestly think that, come July 2025 when we are sitting in the top 4 after missing finals the previous year (Ken's job is on the line remember), we won't be talking another extension?

This club has proven time and time again, that those in charge are accountable to themselves. This cuck leaves the chair under 2 scenario's only:

1) He decides to retire
2) He passes away.

1. players went to sleep as soon as he got re-signed. Struggled against 13th places Tigers, smashed against Giants and Lions. Expect that same effort next year.
2/3. The players only show up when daddy’s career is on the line. Swear they care more about saving him then winning a premiership.
4. hoping like crazy a miracle happens and Ken steps down eg. Coaching burn out.
5. Lots of port supporters protest outside of Kens or Koch’s house.

You honestly think that, come July 2025 when we are sitting in the top 4 after missing finals the previous year (Ken's job is on the line remember), we won't be talking another extension?

This club has proven time and time again, that those in charge are accountable to themselves. This cuck leaves the chair under 2 scenario's only:

1) He decides to retire
2) He passes away.
agreed

Theres no way anyone can be confident that Ken wont get another contract at the end of the new one

We have just gone through 2 years of hoping and praying he'd get the flick but Koch loves him and gave him another contract which i expect him to do again in 2 years

There's no point to the next 2 years, everyone inside and outside the club knows he's going by end of 2025 so subconsciously or not people inside the club, players etc will perform to that. 2025 especially knowing he's going, no one is going to give a *, I just don't see how it works at all.
Given the current administration's track record, how can you say with any surety he's going end of 2025? He's a cockroach post a nuclear holocaust.

GIANTS and SUNS/MOONS need members and appear to want to get better. Just sayin.

1) He decides to retire
2) He passes away.
Call me delusional, but I'm still clinging to hope that he'll cave in to the pressure and walk during this off-season. But I've been doing that for years :(

1. We will play poorly next year. Expecting us to miss finals as Ken is safe for now.
2. If it’s unclear in 2025 whether Hinkley plans to leave, we’ll have a similar year to this year - win enough to make finals, media will spin the same BS about needing to sign him asap, etc.
3. Players will play well enough if it gets Ken another contract
4. Player development I guess
5. Stop spending money on the club

Happy Groundhog Day!
Players only play football so Ken gets a contract and once that’s done they’re just not interested in playing anymore.
Is Ken some sort of cult leader who has grown men under his power?
This is pretty weird stuff, maybe a full AFL investigation is needed with the Police involved.
Amazing how some old goat car salesman could control the minds of of 36 grown men all at the same time.
Move over Reverend Jim Jones.

I get all the criticism of Kenny and the board , it’s hard to argue that he hasn’t achieved what we expect at Port Adelaide .
I can see the other side as well , list hasn’t been good enough , we’ve had to stay competitive rather than rebuild etc .
So I’m a bit of a fence sitter . I just don’t see the point of white anting the current hierarchy.
would I have liked a new coach ? Yes I think so .
will I mutiny ? No I’m too loyal to the club .
make me a happy clapper ? maybe but I like to weigh up both sides , I’m the same with the voice and other things . Listen to both sides then make a decision

This a-hole has worn down my love of the port footy club.

I used to love going to the footy, reading about the games and the club but now I really don’t give a s**t..

I reckon i hardly missed a home game over the last 40 years and now I find myself not wanting to go and I’m even glad the season is over, the ongoing disappointment is over thank god. Thought it was different this year but it ain’t.. it’s not ever going to change.. he’s incapable as a coach.

Got no enthusiasm to go next year and teh following year it’s a complete waste of time. We are treading water for 2 years.

Just get the * out of my club you ******* parasite and take the rest of you band of w***ers with you.

I get all the criticism of Kenny and the board , it’s hard to argue that he hasn’t achieved what we expect at Port Adelaide .
I can see the other side as well , list hasn’t been good enough , we’ve had to stay competitive rather than rebuild etc .
So I’m a bit of a fence sitter . I just don’t see the point of white anting the current hierarchy.
make me a happy clapper ? maybe but I like to weigh up both sides , I’m the same with the voice and other things . Listen to both sides then make a decision

So we have a top 4 home and away list but not a finals list.

It's been 10+ years and multiple lists.. not sure what is left to weigh up, he himself said this is the best list he's ever had.

I think the board knew this time the anger out there but did it anyway but tried to hide who was responsible. That tells me they knew there'd be anger and this was the last time they'd renew it.

What irks me is the going to ground, the closed shop clearly over the decade has the opinion anyone who is upset is an emotional fan and if they aren't in the inner circle are know nothing white noise emotional supporters. To them everyone outside is one of the nuts who rings up 5AA after each round either ecstatic or batshit upset.

I can see the other side as well , list hasn’t been good enough
, we’ve had to stay competitive rather than rebuild etc .
This is the same side.

The list not being good enough is due to the fact that Kenny and the board have not delivered.

PORT ADELAIDE (17-6, 112.7% - lost semi-final to GWS)

Three word analysis

Ken’s rollercoaster ride

What went right

One of the big surprise packages this season, the Power bounced hard from outside the top eight back into flag contention behind its new-age midfield stars Zak Butters and Connor Rozee. With the emerging duo and Jason Horne-Francis, Port showed it has one of, and probably, the most promising midfield in the game. Elsewhere from an individual standpoint, Dan Houston had a career-best All-Australian season alongside Butters and Rozee and consolidated himself as one of the best half backs in the game. The club’s bounce back was all the more impressive in a contract year for Ken Hinkley, where, it was going to take something special for him to retain his job. But by mid-season, the rest of the footy world was calling for the Power to fast-track contract negotiations with their coach, such was the wave of momentum of the team as it occupied a top-two spot. It eventually did so, re-signing Hinkley for two more years amid rumours of a private succession plan with Josh Carr. For most of the season, it was Collingwood and Port seen as the two premier sides including Hinkley’s troops going on a club-record 13-game winning streak, so for a key chunk, there was a lot to like.

What went wrong

The defence was clearly a big issue and an area of the ground no team genuine about contending can afford to struggle in. It included the Power being ranked ninth in the comp in key stats without the footy as it again relied too heavily on Trent McKenzie and others to play undersized, while skipper Tom Jonas fell out of the 23 altogether. The club also just ran out of steam and lost its spark by the time the real stuff started — dropping out of finals in straight sets as criticism came straight back on Hinkley and whether it was the right call call to extend him. There were always questions marks how a relatively young side would fare as the season progressed and when the pressure stakes went up in September. But the exposure if such young talent should at least serve Port well long term. Though the club had a form slump late in the home and away campaign — dropping four-straight games from rounds 18-21 — it was able to stabilise thereafter with three-straight wins leading into the finals, the first ironically a 51-point smashing of the Giants.

What they need

The two obvious things are upgrades in the ruck and in defence — and the club has already locked onto its targets, albeit questionable ones in terms of whether they can genuinely take the club to another level. Port in the trade period will look to bring in Esava Ratugolea and Brandon Zerk-Thatcher to bolster its defence and Jordon Sweet to be its No. 1 ruck in 2024, but all are relatively unproven. They’ve also been linked to Ivan Soldo for more ruck relief. But how they acquire all their targets will be intriguing given the club’s lean draft hand — only holding picks 37 and 43 after trading its first-rounder last year. The club could also look to make changes to its defensive system, though it certainly appears to more personnel than anything letting it down.

What time is it on the premiership clock?

9pm
: Port is in something of a transition phase. With that, there’s a reasonably wide range of possibilities for next year, though it’s hard to see the club dropping off too much, it just might not be as close to contending as it seemed this year. They’ve shown that their best is well and truly good enough to mix it with the top sides and they have seriously elite top-end talent. If they can mould their list around when Butters, Rozee and Horne-Francis are all at the peak of their powers, look out.

B+

- Ben Cotton

Fair enough. There are some people like you on this forum.

Just a quick question. No judgement.

How long do you want Ken Hinkley to be coach if the same type of results continue? Basically worst is about 11th or 12th but we can make the 8 and make the 4 but won't really impact the Finals.

We've had them for 11 years and I am interested in your view as a more moderate supporter. With the new contract, he's secured for 13 years, possibly 14 with a possible kicker but even after that, would you want even more years, perhaps up to 20 years like Koch has stated.