• Josh Rachele

• Harry Schoenberg (sub)

• Lachlan Sholl

• Brodie Smith

• Taylor Walker

• Rory Laird

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

The problem with Crouch no matter where he plays is he wants to take every option in before disposing of it. It's why he constantly gets caught HTB in open play and why he kills ball movement when he marks it. Having him work through HF would basically relegate his I50 entries to long bombs since he'll allow the opposition so much time to get back.

Basically the only role he's capable of is playing an in and under midfielder who works it out by hand.
He doesn't only do that. He also blindly handballs it to players who are about to be tackled.

Cornes highlighted where he believes it went wrong for the Crows against the Giants.

“They had a terrific fortnight, their best fortnight under coach Matthew Nicks with wins over Richmond and the Western Bulldogs,” he said on SEN SA Breakfast.

“They came crashing back to earth with a 59-point loss to the Giants who were red hot.

“We’ve chatted a bit about the difficulty of the way Adelaide play. It’s really admirable and I’ve been thrilled with their contest work that Matthew Nicks alluded to and their work around stoppage.

“At times their defence has gelled together on the back of really good pressure up the field. When that breaks down and when you’ve got a young side as the year goes longer, it’s such a tough way to win. You don’t get any easy wins because Adelaide’s biggest weakness is their ball use.

“We saw that on the weekend. That last kick inside 50 was diabolical really. That’s backed up by the stats and any stats you look at, Adelaide’s ability to move the ball and actually be efficient with their ball just going forward is really difficult.

“When that contest stuff breaks down and you’re turning the footy over, you’re forcing your defenders to defend all day.”

Midfield pressure ....midfield class, remains the issue

Everything he said there is legitimate.

Maybe I should be considering not whether they are a 'good' kick or not, but are they capable of being an attacking and creative kick without causing turnovers? Maybe that's what I mean by a 'good' kick.
Very much so. You watch where Dawson tries to put the ball - always to the advantage side or putting someone in space.

You want ball users that can see the path forward and lead a bloke to it by putting the ball there.

It's embarrassing we still have no clear plan A,B,C for kicking out from a point.
I don't watch a lot of footy outside Crows games, so I'm no expert, but I wonder - are we really any worse than any other club in that regard? There's only so many variations, and most of the time the go-to is to kick it up the line to where the tall bloke is, maybe after running 10-15m, or maybe after a short pass to the pocket... maybe, now and then, the short pass to the pocket followed by a switch back to the other side... I dunno, I just wonder - are we really that bad at this compared to other clubs, or is it just something that some supporters get fixated on?

It's embarrassing we still have no clear plan A,B,C for kicking out from a point.
What are you talking about? We have crystal clear plans.
1. Kick long to the right where ROB drops it.
2. Kick long the the right where the opposition take an uncontested mark
3. Kick long to the right where Murphy is the target against 3 opposition players.

Continue doing all game regardless of actual outcome

Very much so. You watch where Dawson tries to put the ball - always to the advantage side or putting someone in space.

You want ball users that can see the path forward and lead a bloke to it by putting the ball there.
Butts has always been a very sound kick of the football right back to the Murray Bushies/Vic Country.

He has to have been instructed not to bite off too much with his kicking because believe me he certainly wasn't afraid to take the game on back then.

Jordan actually played quite a bit on the wing and up forward as well as defence at the Bushies, a quintessential swingman.....he was also noted for his athleticism and endurance.

It still amazes me firstly how he didn't get drafted in his top age year let alone slipping through to us late in the rookie draft in his over age year given if he'd been born a day later he'd have been in that draft anyhow with a December 31 birthday.

Last edited:
Nice of you to think you are the authority to speak for EVERYBODY..

But if you and EVERYBODY picked your first team and when it came to picking your midfield keays was in it before;

Bont
Cripps
J Kelly
Oliver
Petracca
Tom Greene
Martin -whos due back next week.
Steele
Neale
Dangerfield
Walsh
Miller
Bolton
De goey

And atlest a couple of others..

Then you and EVERYBODY else are clearly fu**n delusional..

You simply cannot say that you’d pick Ben Keays before any of those guys I’ve just named and think that you should be taken seriously.

Half the posters voting in a poll said they’d prefer to keep Nicks even if Clarko was keen to come to us. I think the Venn diagram would look like a single circle.

I don't watch a lot of footy outside Crows games, so I'm no expert, but I wonder - are we really any worse than any other club in that regard? There's only so many variations, and most of the time the go-to is to kick it up the line to where the tall bloke is, maybe after running 10-15m, or maybe after a short pass to the pocket... maybe, now and then, the short pass to the pocket followed by a switch back to the other side... I dunno, I just wonder - are we really that bad at this compared to other clubs, or is it just something that some supporters get fixated on?

We are garbage, tell me the last time we've taken a kick out and taken it all the way down the field for a goal?

We are garbage, tell me the last time we've taken a kick out and taken it all the way down the field for a goal?
Just sitting here thinking of the 2012? final where Smith kicked looooong to Tex in the middle who booted it towards Dangerfield for the non-free kick.

And that is seriously the last time I think we got close - even against Port we took so so long to get the last goal

(Log in to remove this ad.)

your point?.

i listed the 24-28 mids because I was asked to do so in response to a comment i made stating that if i was to pick 2 sides to play each other out of the entire pool of AFL players.. keays would not be picked as a midfielder for either of them.

and further… that comment was in response to Kane stating that keays would maybe be in the All Aust squad at the moment.

there is simply no way ben keays is in the top 25 of the best mids in the comp.

agree with you on crouch.. he’s hot garbage.

agree on Laird.. he’s an accumulator who panics the moment he gets the footy in hand and more often than not wastes it.

and this “Keays gets seperation and clear run from congestion” garbage that some of his biggest supporters in here have been pulling out of late to defend ben is laughable… so ******* what, the lad can get separation.. woopde fu**n do.. its pointless getting that separation if you are then gonna waste all the effort to do so by making a poor decision, spraying a kick on goal or completely hacking your kick to none of your team mates advantage further up the field..

if we had a bloody good midfield which is what you need if you want to contend for, and win, a GF then ben keays should be the 4th, 5th or 6th best midfielder at our club.. just bordering on that being best 22/depth range..

the fact he’s instead currently our best mid is a damning indictment on the current state of our midfield group.. its hot garbage. it may win us a game or two here and there through sheer will, scrap and effort but put it up against a class midfield thats on and the results are, and always will be, completely embarrassing.

our midfield got comprehensively trounced on the weekend.. totally and utterly pantsed by an elite midfield that really, if we are honest, hasn't been in the greatest of form so far this year. so much so that their coach was rumoured to be getting the arse.

You just listed names. Keays is easily in the top25 mids in the comp.

Pretty sure there was one in the Freo game where Dawson kicked to the left and drilled a 50m pass that ended up in a goal.

He would kick at least one per game that doesn't go right and down the line. I think he's the only one.

Pretty sure there was one in the Freo game where Dawson kicked to the left and drilled a 50m pass that ended up in a goal.

He would kick at least one per game that doesn't go right and down the line. I think he's the only one.
It's the Sydney in him. We will coach it out of him eventually.

Yeah, but how much of that is due to the initial kick in tactic, and how much is due to players down the field screwing it up? That is, are we failing to go coast to coast (or at least close to it) because our kick in was "wrong" in the first place, or because the players up the line failed to mark / contest the ball well enough?

I just think we tend to fixate on the "oh, it's always long up the line to the right" and we want to see more variety or even risk taking, when maybe that's not as big a problem as people think it is.

Last edited:
Does anyone reckon the change to the kick-in rule (where you can run straight out of the square) has made things overall more predictable and less of a spectacle?

You almost feel compelled to kick it long now, because you get a good extra 20 metres on your kick with the new rule.

Maybe it’s my imagination. But it just seems like, that rule isn’t doing what they thought it would do (like most of their rules).

Does anyone reckon the change to the kick-in rule (where you can run straight out of the square) has made things overall more predictable and less of a spectacle?

You almost feel compelled to kick it long now, because you get a good extra 20 metres on your kick with the new rule.

Maybe it’s my imagination. But it just seems like, that rule isn’t doing what they thought it would do (like most of their rules).
I could watch Blakey from Sydney and Rich from Brisbane take kick ins all day. They go long the majority of the time but also short when the right option is there. The key with those two is how quick their kicks move through the air. Our kicks are slow lobs in comparison.

I could watch Blakey from Sydney and Rich from Brisbane take kick ins all day. They go long the majority of the time but also short when the right option is there. The key with those two is how quick their kicks move through the air. Our kicks are slow lobs in comparison.
I reckon it’d be hilarious to watch your reaction if Laird kicks out then!

The guy is at risk of having the ball blow back over his head for a point if there was a slight breeze in his face.

Hinge has very good velocity on his kicks.

Back