FTA-TV Uk cop shows - shadow line, top boy and more

Remove this Banner Ad

Looks interesting and Wilson is always watchable.

Will have to keep an eye out where it lands in Aus though as it is currently unavailable on any legal platform!

Finished it last night and I really liked it. Wilson was fantastic and she put her money up for the show's production. Daryl McCormack also did a fine job as the lead detective. First came across him in Bad Sisters. Quality actor.
Next up is Stephen Graham's Bodies. Four detectives in four different time periods find themselves investigating the same murder.

Just finished the Long Shadow.
It was luck and stupidity that the guy was caught. It just proves how valuable modern technology, DNA analysis, and video surveillance are in crime solving.
The show paid a lot of respect to the victims and their families. The list of suspected victims at the end of the last episode is confronting.
The tunnel vision of prejudice of the UK Police in the 1970s (similar with other police forces) is what allowed Sutcliffe to escape conviction for so long and Long Shadow highlighted this well.

We all know how sophisticated tools of crime analysis are critical to catching the perpetrators of historical crime but having blinkered boozy chauvinists undertaking investigations into the murder of women as the crimes were being committed was the real tragedy that is portrayed in this excellent series.

Just catching up on a few shows that I have missed over the past year or so:

THE DEVIL'S HOUR (Prime)

This one is a bit different in that it contains some supernatural elements. It takes a couple of episodes to get used to the structure of the show. Peter Capaldi is fantastic as the mysterious potential psycopath. Jessica Raine also rather good in the lead role. As per usual, only 6 episodes... & it has already been renewed for 2 further series!

===

THE GOLD (Paramount)

Based on the true story of a huge gold bullion robbery from 1983, although it's more about the aftermath and how the gold was dispersed & laundered. Very entertaining for the most part and the 6 eps are worth a watch. Surprisingly, it has just been renewed for a 2nd season - which might be stretching it a little.

===

THE DIPLOMAT (Foxtel/Binge)

A bit of a lighter watch, but not too bad... It's about the English embassy in Barcelona and the various cases they have. There's both a single case that runs through all of the 6 episodes + intertwined cases of the week.

The Woman In The Wall, my take was, it really didn't need all that tricksy stuff with, well, the woman in the wall; there was a good story there, which they largely butchered.

As for Bodies, I'm about half-way through ep #3, after several attempts. I've heard it (loosely) compared to Dark, which I loved, but I'm not quite feeling the love here.

Is Shetland worth the watch?
Yes. But it’s a little hit and miss for mine. This is all IMO of course. Seasons 1&2 are mainly two parters, some are good, some are average. Season 3 starts off amazing but gradually declines. Season 4 is truly outstanding, flawless TV, 10/10. Season 5 I need to rewatch, and 6 was awesome until an underwhelming conclusion. Haven’t seen the latest one.

The latest is the weakest of the lot, I think. And Jimmy Perez has left the show. Shetland always looks fabulous, though. Have you guys had Hidden Assets (mostly Irish, part Belgian)? There's been two seasons, watching the end of S2 now (which I think is a bit better than S1, but does follow on from it).

I'm halfway through the 2nd season of Vigil. Worth a look. It's better written than the first season. Suranne Jones is good in the lead role but I think Rose Leslie is miscast as a detective.

One show that I really liked which has slipped by and not been mentioned by anyone is 'BOAT STORY' on FOXTEL/BINGE.

Don't think too hard about the plot as it's more going for the entertainment aspect, but there's a good mix of sometimes gruesome action and wicked black humour. It's also one of the few shows I recall where voiceover narration actually adds to the fun.

It's made by The Williams' Brothers, so the always amazing Tcheky Karyo is along for the ride... and boy is he having fun as the lead villain (named only as "The Tailor"):

Criminal Record with Peter Capaldi isn't bad. I've watched first four episodes, still waiting for the big twist reveal. ;)
Only neg for me is Capaldi is always giving the evil eye look. Yes we know you want him to show he is the baddie, but it seems like every 10 minutes of so. :) And the female lead keeps getting s**t on over and over again. Kind of overloaded there as well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just catching up on a few shows that I have missed over the past year or so:

THE DEVIL'S HOUR (Prime)

This one is a bit different in that it contains some supernatural elements. It takes a couple of episodes to get used to the structure of the show. Peter Capaldi is fantastic as the mysterious potential psycopath. Jessica Raine also rather good in the lead role. As per usual, only 6 episodes... & it has already been renewed for 2 further series!

===

THE GOLD (Paramount)

Based on the true story of a huge gold bullion robbery from 1983, although it's more about the aftermath and how the gold was dispersed & laundered. Very entertaining for the most part and the 6 eps are worth a watch. Surprisingly, it has just been renewed for a 2nd season - which might be stretching it a little.

===

THE DIPLOMAT (Foxtel/Binge)

A bit of a lighter watch, but not too bad... It's about the English embassy in Barcelona and the various cases they have. There's both a single case that runs through all of the 6 episodes + intertwined cases of the week.

Re: The Devil's Hour
It certainly is different but it holds my attention very well. Capaldi's eyes are perfect for his role. Chilling when he gives the stare.
I liked the character and acting performance of the kid in it. Pretty good for a young one given the subject matter.
Next up for me is Criminal Record, another one with Capaldi. Has good reviews.

Watched a couple of old episodes of Cracker last night, Jimmy McGovern, Ricky Tomlinson and Robby Coltrane, Id forgotten how good it was.

I rewatched the whole lot a while back. There's something appealing about someone so deeply flawed - alcoholic, chain smoker, obese, gambling addict, philanderer - yet also so brilliant. Robbie Coltrane absolutely nailed it.

Just finished The Gentlemen (series).

Plots within plots within plots. Entertaining, solid enough for a decent pass. Chicken scene was the most edgy.
Liked Winstone and his performance.
Overall, a good Ritchie product. Stuart Carolan's input is obvious with the Irish component.

No mucking around getting Season 2 of 'Blue Lights' put together:

Blue Lights S2 now available. I binge watched it. At times it got a bit too involved with relationships between characters - so that it felt like soap opera centred around a police station. But overall it was excellent.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back