Analysis Umpires

Remove this Banner Ad

Just on the Doc bit. I reckon Doc is the 2nd incarnation of Heath Shaw. When needed, the boundary, and over it, is their friend. It is far from the worst result possible to give a deliberate out of bounds freekick. All it is is a turnover in possession on the thin side boundary line. Easily defended most times from there and the previous crisis is relieved.

Fans, and meathead commentators who are paid to get excited, think it is the end of the world when a deliberate is paid but the players don't. Their ego's might be a tad dented that they didn't disguise it well enough, but they usually just get on with it.
Sometimes rather they kick it 20 rows into the stands, give teammates extra time to push back and fill holes etc.

can you two please stop making sense?

From Canberra Times article today...
Blues to seek AFL explanation on Cripps.

Carlton will again raise issues with the AFL umpiring department over opponents' physical treatment of captain Patrick Cripps.
On Monday, Blues football operations manager Brad Lloyd demanded ball players be given a fair go.
"When players take their eye off the contest and just stare straight at that type of player, those bear hugs, where they wrap their arms around, they're the things we've got to watch.

Carlton will again raise issues with the AFL umpiring department over opponents' physical treatment of captain Patrick Cripps.
On Monday, Blues football operations manager Brad Lloyd demanded ball players be given a fair go.
"When players take their eye off the contest and just stare straight at that type of player, those bear hugs, where they wrap their arms around, they're the things we've got to watch.

Fair analysis I suspect.

Hands off: Blues' plea for Cripps to be protected

So expect a crackdown this week? I'll laugh when ed gives away 5 free kicks

Sent from my CPH1879 using Tapatalk

I reckon the way to clear up the ambiguity of HTB is to get rid of prior opportunity and incorrect disposal needs to be far more strictly adjudicated. Players should still have a reasonable amount of time to correctly dispose of the ball.

Getting rid of prior opportunity would solve the problem of players pretending to try to get rid of it/umpires trying to decide if they legitimately can’t dispose of it because these issues are based on prior opportunity. If they can’t dispose of it correctly, it’s holding the ball.

With such a rule change, if a player gains possession and is immediately tackled and it’s a great tackle so that their opponent can’t get rid of it or if they do incorrectly it’s HTB (even if it’s locked in and impossible to do do) Sone may say this penalises ball getters because they’ll fear getting tackled; well luck favours the brave. Also this may discourage a lot of congestion because players will want to move the ball on quickly to avoid being nailed by effective tackles.

This change in the rule only requires the following decisions by the umpire:
-has a legal tackle been made?
-did the player dispose of the ball in a reasonable amount of time and if so was it correct disposal?

Last edited:
Hawthorn coach Alastair Clarkson is set to be hit with a 'please explain' from the AFL after his dig at the umpires, whose professional association took a veiled swipe at the legendary coach on Monday.

In a strongly-worded statement, the AFL Umpires' Association all but called on the league to take action against Clarkson, who also upset the Sydney Swans on Saturday when he claimed the Swans' star small forward Tom Papley was "as good as anyone in the competition" at milking free kicks.

Hands off: Blues' plea for Cripps to be protected

Plea?

Lloyd said we would raise some issues including Cripps being held in our usual catch up. How the * is that a plea?

Hawthorn coach Alastair Clarkson is set to be hit with a 'please explain' from the AFL after his dig at the umpires, whose professional association took a veiled swipe at the legendary coach on Monday.

In a strongly-worded statement, the AFL Umpires' Association all but called on the league to take action against Clarkson, who also upset the Sydney Swans on Saturday when he claimed the Swans' star small forward Tom Papley was "as good as anyone in the competition" at milking free kicks.

Aaaah, Clarko. Always having a go at others as a deflection from his own performance. Usually for things he encourages his players to do themselves, doesn't handle it so well when it happens back.

The ultimate sniper and whinger who has been lucky to have so many generational players at his disposal at the one time, mostly thanks to the Tigers drafting ineptitude. Good luck to him, he is now about to learn what it is like when things are not going your way and you have to work hard just to keep up with the competition, let alone get ahead.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Watch Ed get pinged at every stoppage this week against Mitchell.
Mitchell isn’t damaging, would send Ed to others before him
Not sure about that.. Mitchell is a quality player who accumulates plenty of the ball and feeds those on the outside. You stop it at the source and your halfway home.

beaten up.. its not a beat up, the media has just woken up to what us fans have been seeing for the past 12 months. As Lloyd pointed out, none of this is new and I am sure its been raised before, so if it has any effect who knows..

As for doing a Clarko, I like that he stands up for his club and players when its necessary.. Teague is young and learning and doesnt have the runs on the board but i would hope in time he would feel comfortable enough to call it out when its necessary.

As for doing a Clarko, I like that he stands up for his club and players when its necessary.. Teague is young and learning and doesnt have the runs on the board but i would hope in time he would feel comfortable enough to call it out when its necessary.
As was discussed in the SEN interview, Teague does call things out, but does it through the appropriate channels behind closed doors. I hope he continues this approach and doesn't go down the Clarko path.

I reckon the way to clear up the ambiguity of HTB is to get rid of prior opportunity and incorrect disposal needs to be far more strictly adjudicated. Players should still have a reasonable amount of time to correctly dispose of the ball.

Getting rid of prior opportunity would solve the problem of players pretending to try to get rid of it/umpires trying to decide if they legitimately can’t dispose of it because these issues are based on prior opportunity. If they can’t dispose of it correctly, it’s holding the ball.

With such a rule change, if a player gains possession and is immediately tackled and it’s a great tackle so that their opponent can’t get rid of it or if they do incorrectly it’s HTB (even if it’s locked in and impossible to do do) Sone may say this penalises ball getters because they’ll fear getting tackled; well luck favours the brave. Also this may discourage a lot of congestion because players will want to move the ball on quickly to avoid being nailed by effective tackles.

This change in the rule only requires the following decisions by the umpire:
-has a legal tackle been made?
-did the player dispose of the ball in a reasonable amount of time and if so was it correct disposal?

Getting rid of prior opportunity means players are better off not going for the ball. This is not what we want.
The solution is just that when a player is tackled with no prior opportunity and the ball is locked in, for the umpire to ball it up. Quickly.

As was discussed in the SEN interview, Teague does call things out, but does it through the appropriate channels behind closed doors. I hope he continues this approach and doesn't go down the Clarko path.

Maybe this was Clarko's path in his first few years as coach.....gets no results. Goes through media etc and gets results

Remove this Banner Ad

Back