Analysis Umpires

Jeezus I just read all all of Gethelred's last 2 posts and feel like I just read Tolstoy.

Few times I thought I might respond to some points and then forgot them.

The only point I will make is that I think the game was at it's best, as a spectacle, in the 80's and early 90's. Come at me you young whippersnippers.

Unfortunately I find myself turning off before half time in most games these days that don't involve Carlton, such is my disappointment with todays game, and I must candidly admit that umpiring inconsistency is a contributor to this.

Sorry mate. I really like your post content and thought processes but these two were hard reads.
Totally agree with this. I posted once before about a Carlton vs * game from '93 that I happened across on YouTube. The stark difference b/w that game and what we see now is just how fast the umpire came in to bounce the ball. If it even looked like a scrum would form, in they came, grabbed the ball, bounced/threw it up and off went the game again. It meant that there was no time for the "20 players around the ball" situation to develop in the first place.

And the game flowed ...

Last edited:
amazing mark in these conditions, tdk!

Unless you are referring to an umpire that incorrectly paid the mark … I suggest you are posting in the wrong thread old timer ;)

windows1

Nope. Not at all. Just a statement of fact that you and Thy can’t get your head around. The umpiring hurt us in the first three quarters. So did our s**t skills. One fact doesn’t invalidate the other. Both contributed to our 3/4 time deficit. Certainly our skills contributed more. As did Jones inexplicable decision making. But the umpiring hurt us. Period. Moving on from that now. It’s a no win topic with a few here.

says every supporter from every team..........why should we be so special?

blue healer

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 25, 2010
wagga wagga
AFL Club
Carlton
windows1

Nope. Not at all. Just a statement of fact that you and Thy can’t get your head around. The umpiring hurt us in the first three quarters. So did our s**t skills. One fact doesn’t invalidate the other. Both contributed to our 3/4 time deficit. Certainly our skills contributed more. As did Jones inexplicable decision making. But the umpiring hurt us. Period. Moving on from that now. It’s a no win topic with a few here.

Alternate question. Why should we be the flagbearers of umpire support?

But that's just it Thy, we DO seem to be special at the moment, just in the wrong ******* way! :)

gotta say - the umpires need to be better directed in a couple of areas - forget this best mates with the players crap - use of names should be banned - chopping the arms, carlton 30 - that's it, club and number - as for don't push him, jack, take your kick, you can't run around, give him the ball back rubbish - players know the rules, what are they gonna say, he didn't warn me enough? respect for the umps - there's an idea..........

Blue and Blue

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 29, 2018
On the glory road
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Everton
gotta say - the umpires need to be better directed in a couple of areas - forget this best mates with the players crap - use of names should be banned - chopping the arms, carlton 30 - that's it, club and number - as for don't push him, jack, take your kick, you can't run around, give him the ball back rubbish - players know the rules, what are they gonna say, he didn't warn me enough? respect for the umps - there's an idea..........
Take those bloody microphones off them, put them in white and pay them extra for trying to be be invisible.

WFGodot

Cancelled
Nov 3, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton
At a contest, when a whistle blows, I often, genuinely and increasingly regularly don’t know who’s free kick it will be. It feels like a lottery. It has taken away some of the joy of watching. I accept it is hard to umpire but it really frustrates me. The constant tinkering just adds to confusion. Just my opinion.

BluesRule

Premiership Player
Dec 16, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
At a contest, when a whistle blows, I often, genuinely and increasingly regularly don’t know who’s free kick it will be. It feels like a lottery. It has taken away some of the joy of watching. I accept it is hard to umpire but it really frustrates me. The constant tinkering just adds to confusion. Just my opinion.
Would be great if in 50/50 situations the referees just called play on. Hate all the stoppages and the need for interpretation

you people

1. go read the norf bleat thread after their close loss to brisbane tonight
2. is that what you want to sound like? cause it is........
3. if they, like all supporters, believe they are forever being screwed by the umps, what does that tell you? hint - it's - not - just - us....there is no corruption
4. nothing is ever changed by sulking and abusing officials - on forums, in pubs, at the ground, to the television.........
5. follow your beloved football club and leave the futile victimhood to the real losers.........

Back