Review Unofficial Practice Match: Essendon vs Gold Coast, Austworld, Thursday 23rd Feb @ 5pm AEDST

Remove this Banner Ad

I think you can play with 4/5, especially if they can pinch on a wing or middle. Tigers did it in 2020 with Baker, Rioli, Bolton, Castagna + Edwards, Lambert and Caddy rolling through. I'd love to see all of them plus Jayden and Munkara. 3 up forward, with Stringer, Wright and Jones, 1 on the bench, Alwyn on a wing.
I like, but that could mean 4 wing rotations. 🤔

Locks im calling;
Menzie
Davey
Setterfield
Jones
D'ambrosio over hind

Im almost sold on voss as a slambrose style presence. Stringer can be sub for when vossy gets sore.....j/k. Vossy feels no pain. Pain feels voss.

Rd.1
Ridley zerk kelly
Mcgrath* laverde redman
Martin setterfield langford
Davey jones stringer
Tippa wright menzie
Draper parish merrett
Shiel d'ambrosio Caldwell perkins
Heppell

*might wanna do something preseason though
Wait. Did Durham play?

Few of the young guys showed a bit.

Menzie and Davey were close to BOG. Voss showed some real good signs. So did Wanganeen. I thought Perkins was good in the second half too. Bryan was absolutely terrible at the start but got better.

Setterfield was really good. Tippa’s pressure was brilliant - I think he plays round 1.

The bad - Caldwell was terrible and didn’t look interested in chasing at all. Same as Langford.

Menzie and Davey were close to BOG. Voss showed some real good signs. So did Wanganeen. I thought Perkins was good in the second half too. Bryan was absolutely terrible at the start but got better.

Setterfield was really good. Tippa’s pressure was brilliant - I think he plays round 1.

The bad - Caldwell was terrible and didn’t look interested in chasing at all. Same as Langford.
Maybe Caldwell still not 100%?

Will have to have another look via kayo on the computer as it you needed binoculars to watch it on TV.
I liked the pressure they displayed for 80% of the first 4 periods.
Did not really like just bombing it to two forwards on 4 defenders.
Still a bit reactive as far as picking up players in transition. A few times we where a second or so behind the speed they where playing. Need to sharpen the focus on switching over to defending a lot quicker.
Overall it was not too bad for a scratch match.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think Menzie is really making it hard not to pick him

I cant see Tippa not playing R1 been saying it for ages

Weideman over Jones but i think there is a good chance they play all 3 without Stringer if he isnt there

Durham i thought was really impressive early

For me Caldwell seems a bit behind at the moment, doesnt seem his usualnself. Surprised he was being asked to play P4 with his past history tbh. Still playing wing instead of Martin whos inside, is the plan to change that closer to season proper?

Still be interested to see if Hobbs plays proper pre season game

Ambrosio vs Hind vs Kelly splitting hairs

Only watched/cared about the first half as the 2nd half suns side was deplorable due to their lack of depth

Didnt see any change, thought we were pretty avg

Ben Dixon was an average player and is now an even worse commentator.

Positives

Voss - looks a player - round 1 darkorse?
Menzie - Is first picked forward pocket
Draper - has a presence - when he came on things changed

Negatives

Caldwell and Langford looked off the pace
Heppell fumbly
The coverage on Kayo/foxtel was shocking- the commentators nearly put me to sleep!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Langford did some good bodying, but really doesnt run hard to chase. Did notice that a bit.

Caldwell still strong and clean, but a little lost.

Positives

Voss - looks a player - round 1 darkorse?
Menzie - Is first picked forward pocket
Draper - has a presence - when he came on things changed

Negatives

Caldwell and Langford looked off the pace
Heppell fumbly
The coverage on Kayo/foxtel was shocking- the commentators nearly put me to sleep!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
The cameraman was clearly drunk! Commentary was pitiful.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back