Bumped Unpopular Opinions: Collingwood (new posts start at #691)

Unpopular opinion #136: Is "Side-by-Side" being overused?

• Yes

Votes: 66 60.6%
  • No

Votes: 43 39.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

To be fair better effort this week and let's face it he couldn't be much worse than he was, Aish has been garbage and nowhere near justifying his cost.

Cold hard facts but that's not to say he won't get there eventually.

Yeah it's been said but it's been amplified since. Scharenberg is highly overrated on this board and will never be more than serviceable. Unfortunately, I can't name too many players who have come back from (pretty much) three consecutive season long injuries and still made it out to be a gun. 2013 draft was a bust. Forgive and forget.

Yeah it's been said but it's been amplified since. Scharenberg is highly overrated on this board and will never be more than serviceable. Unfortunately, I can't name too many players who have come back from (pretty much) three consecutive season long injuries and still made it out to be a gun. 2013 draft was a bust. Forgive and forget.

Menzel has been good for Cats

Jesse White is pushing for top ten in the copeland trophy this year.

1) Ben Sinclair is a hugely improved player and best 22 for me. Provides run and is actually a legitimately decent one on one defender. Obviously his disposal is suspect at times but christ, he joins about 17 other players in the team in that boat.

2) Josh Smith just seems so incredibly average to me. I mentioned this in the Freo game day thread, but yeah, he's just really really vanilla. He is the very definition of generic. He excels at nothing, but doesn't suck at anything either. He could not be more average if he tried. I'm assuming he's getting games due to injuries but the funny thing is, we have depth in both the midfield and backline so I'm not sure why he's still playing.

3) James Aish needs time. He's gong to be a very very good footballer. Was given some inside info from the club that apparently all the recruits from Brisbane came to us pretty f**ked up mentally. All the recruits have responded to our environment different and we have cases for all. Crisp has thrived, Karnezis just couldn't handle the increase in intensity and professionalism that was required and Aish is getting there slowly. I think Aish will be a great player for us if we give him the time he needs.

It doesnt matter who Collingwood has as coach they are a long long long long way away from a premiership because so many teams have gone past it with younger better players and a much better system of playing. Trying to get past the bulldogs, GWS, Melbourne, Saints, even the Gold Coast who have had more injuries than us will be very hard. Then there are teams like the Cats and Sydney who are alway up the top..

My other unpopular opinion? Pendelbury is the greatest player i have seen at Collingwood in the 45 years i have been paying close attention, by miles. His only fault is that he is too unselfish and has to give the ball to players who cannot dispose of it properly.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1) Ben Sinclair is a hugely improved player and best 22 for me. Provides run and is actually a legitimately decent one on one defender. Obviously his disposal is suspect at times but christ, he joins about 17 other players in the team in that boat.

2) Josh Smith just seems so incredibly average to me. I mentioned this in the Freo game day thread, but yeah, he's just really really vanilla. He is the very definition of generic. He excels at nothing, but doesn't suck at anything either. He could not be more average if he tried. I'm assuming he's getting games due to injuries but the funny thing is, we have depth in both the midfield and backline so I'm not sure why he's still playing.

3) James Aish needs time. He's gong to be a very very good footballer. Was given some inside info from the club that apparently all the recruits from Brisbane came to us pretty f**ked up mentally. All the recruits have responded to our environment different and we have cases for all. Crisp has thrived, Karnezis just couldn't handle the increase in intensity and professionalism that was required and Aish is getting there slowly. I think Aish will be a great player for us if we give him the time he needs.
Agree with all, but I do find it hard to seperate Williams, Ramsay, Maynard, Schareneberg, How and Sinclair for best small/medium backline spots. I will say Sinclair is almost the most tenacious defender we have though and that goes a long way. Respect rose a heap vs West Coast when he was literally the only Collingwood player helping to give Nate Brown a chop out

Would hate it, but it's not the end of the world if we lose to Carlton again this year. We lost to them twice in 2012, then they appointed Mick and we won the next five games against them. It can be done, but we do need their cooperation.:D

Without the Buckley succession plan, we would not have won the 2010 flag. If Malthouse's future at Collingwood was secure, he wouldn't have gone ham on the experience in 2009 by sacrificing our first 3 rounds of picks on Jolly and Ball, the two weapons we needed to win the cup. Likewise in 2011, Krakouer might have come regardless but Tarrant certainly wouldn't have, and 20-2 (and one of the all-time best H&A seasons) would never have come.

Last edited:
Back