Unpopular Port Adelaide opinion you may have

Remove this Banner Ad

I wouldn't be surprised if Collingwood drop away, they'll never win that many close games again.
They might, they have a weird age profile, but my point would still stand.

On list alone Port Adelaide is in a better spot at the start of 2023, even without Robbie and Karlos, than Collingwood was seen to be at the start of 2022.

The key difference is Hinkley vs McRae.

They might, they have a weird age profile, but my point would still stand.

On list alone Port Adelaide is in a better spot at the start of 2023, even without Robbie and Karlos, than Collingwood was seen to be at the start of 2022.

The key difference is Hinkley vs McRae.

One of the ‘laws’ of AFL coaching, is beyond all else, you can’t escape the reality that on a long enough timeline your ability to inspire and lift the same players is subject to diminishing returns.

This obviously differs from longer coaching tenures in other sports, where squads are much smaller and/or even your superstars rarely stay in the one spot for longer than 2 contracts, naturally renewing the dressing room with fresh faces to be indoctrinated with the incumbent coach’s philosophies and inspo techniques — which to the incoming players are effectively brand new.

But what can Hinkley possibly say to someone like Travis Boak, Todd Marshall, Ollie Wines, Dan Houston or Tom Jonas that will instil them with the requisite belief and confidence to finally get over the hump? Especially during PTSD-inducing moments such as the opposition piling on some early goals, or ticking into time-on of the final quarter with scores level?

Clearly what he went with amidst the 2021 Prelim and over that horrendous preseason to Round 5 of 2022 didn’t move the needle at all — and there’s nothing else to fall back on — at least the likes of Sheedy, Malthouse and now Longmire/Hardwick/Scott are armed with proof of concept amidst their marathon tenures and seasonal failures.

Beyond screaming out for a superior matchday tactician, the Buckley2McCrae example shows it has never been more obvious that the dressing room is crying out for a fresh start.

One of the ‘laws’ of AFL coaching, is beyond all else, you can’t escape the reality that on a long enough timeline your ability to inspire and lift the same players is subject to diminishing returns.

This obviously differs from longer coaching tenures in other sports, where squads are much smaller and/or even your superstars rarely stay in the one spot for longer than 2 contracts, naturally renewing the dressing room with fresh faces to be indoctrinated with the incumbent coach’s philosophies and inspo techniques — which to the incoming players are effectively brand new.

But what can Hinkley possibly say to someone like Travis Boak, Todd Marshall, Ollie Wines, Dan Houston or Tom Jonas that will instil them with the requisite belief and confidence to finally get over the hump? Especially during PTSD-inducing moments such as the opposition piling on some early goals, or ticking into time-on of the final quarter with scores level?

Clearly what he went with amidst the 2021 Prelim and over that horrendous preseason to Round 5 of 2022 didn’t move the needle at all — and there’s nothing else to fall back on — at least the likes of Sheedy, Malthouse and now Longmire/Hardwick/Scott are armed with proof of concept amidst their marathon tenures and seasonal failures.

Beyond screaming out for a superior matchday tactician, the Buckley2McCrae example shows it has never been more obvious that the dressing room is crying out for a fresh start.
I've said before that you could stick 2013 motivated Ken Hinkley with a fake mustache in front of this group and even if the tactics were exactly the same they'd still improve out of sight on the psychological factor alone. The club right now is more stale than any club in AFL history has ever been.

We rip on Dwayne alot and rightly so, but unfortunately we can see lately that a disappointing amount of our past players are also removed from the heritage and ethos of the club. I mean Hodges is thoroughly indifferent to the Power and borderline 'not the real Port Adelaide' but he doesn't work in media like Derwayne.

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

We rip on Dwayne alot and rightly so, but unfortunately we can see lately that a disappointing amount of our past players are also removed from the heritage and ethos of the club. I mean Hodges is thoroughly indifferent to the Power and borderline 'not the real Port Adelaide' but he doesn't work in media like Derwayne.

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk
Roger Delaney thanking Kochie & Ken for "an amazing ten years" at the B&F was another wtf moment.

Undo the Chad Wingard trade (so minus Burton and Duursma).

Port win 2020 premiership.

Likely big favourites for 2023.

Last edited:

Port win 2014 premiership.

Do you mean 2020 premiership?

Chad playing for a contract these last 5 rounds, despite our lacking up front to replace Robbie, not sure I trust him even if he pulls 15 brownlow votes in the next 5 rounds.

Port win 2014 premiership.

I don't love the Wingard trade either but I'm not sure we can blame it for us not winning a flag before it even happened.

We make the same errors today as we did 20 years ago.
Names may differ, but the mistakes are still the same.

Dropping uncontested marks.
Fumbling ground balls.
Handballs and short passes hitting the ground 3m in front of team mates.
Flying for unrealistic marks and leaving your opponent on his own.
Missing easy shots on goal.
Being in a perfect position to punch the ball away, but swinging at fresh air instead of smacking the footy away.

Having shown enough professionalism as a club to weed out serial offenders and improve ourselves as a club.

Just breeding new generations that mimic the errors of earlier eras, instead of trying to do better 😠🤔

Unpopular opinion maybe but Nick Daicos shouldn't have been booed last night.

He hasn't done anything arrogant or dirty to warrant it. Yeah he ducked for a free kick late game but plenty of players do the Selwood style shrug these days.
I think it as more pay back for booing JHF for no reason. Was it petty? Sure. But I also find it quite astute by the port fans.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Never Tear Us Apart is a terrible song for us and is really about the fans sticking together like sheeple and never saying or doing or criticising the team ever.

I mean who on Earth are we been torn apart over?

Never Tear Us Apart is a terrible song for us and is really about the fans sticking together like sheeple and never saying or doing or criticising the team ever.

I mean who on Earth are we been torn apart over?

It’s a message for the AFL and SANFL.

AFL wanted us to never wear the Prison Bars.
SANFL zones and juniors stripped.
SANFL’s clubs tried to stop our use of the Prison Bars at SANFL level.
SANFL’s clubs wanted to strip us of Alberton home games.
SANFL erased our history in the footy budget (before adding it back).

Agree. Unfortunately, the powers that be hijacked it.

NTUA works when all elements of the club from the Board, Management, Staff, Players and Supporters are all on the same page

With all the fractures in the club at the moment we just look like idiots

We just tore ourselves apart right? Or bleached out our history by stealth:

• We flew the white flag on PBs.
  • Signed away the juniors and zones for reserves.
  • Ditched the Maggies logo.
  • Proceeded to reject most of our key ethos re: WETWP, Creed etc.

Don't need to worry about the SANFL when we're happy for Koch and Co to do it for us.

I understand but still don't like it.

I don't want to send a message in the song as we are about to play a game to the SANFL and AFL. It is directed completely in the wrong way.

I want a message to the lads about the game they are about to play where it should be 'let's go out and give it our all and win' song.

Ludicrious.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back