Travel USA travel tips and tricks

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah i had the same thing, even locals were flabbergasted that an aussie was travelling to detroit.

I really liked it, it's on the way up
I was there in 2012 and it was still in the housing crisis issues. Wasn't a hell of a lot going on downtown but was interesting to see. Only had the 2 full days including going to Ann Arbor for the Football.

Wouldn't recommend it to anyone unless they had a purpose to go like a sporting event.

For those having Christmas in America, please tell me where you have it and if it's worth it.
As in what specific.

Both times I've been at Christmas I've used Christmas Day as a travel day. Last year we flew from SF to Vancouver and ended up getting stopped at the border and having our Visa cancelled and eventually returned to SF.

The other time I flew from SF to Phoenix then drove to the Grand Canyon. Found most things were closed including fast food joints except McDonalds.

The upside of traveling on Christmas day was airports seemed quieter than normal.

If it's like Europe where it's a real experience and some cities really get into the spirit of Christmas or if it's like Australia where we all go through the motions.
Pre Christmas I've been in San Francisco and it wasn't any different from here. A few of the hotels in Vegas had Christmas stuff up.

I think most people who go to the US specifically for Christmas go to New York and are hoping for snow. And getting snow in New York in around Christmas would be a low percentage chance.

Pre Christmas I've been in San Francisco and it wasn't any different from here. A few of the hotels in Vegas had Christmas stuff up.

I think most people who go to the US specifically for Christmas go to New York and are hoping for snow. And getting snow in New York in around Christmas would be a low percentage chance.

Appears New York or Chicago are the places to be.

What's spring break next year?

I've wanted to do Panama Canal for years, found a cruise which I loved (LAX-->FLL) and jumped at it.

I want to knock off all disney parks. And Getting to California Adventure is top of that list atm. Just wondering whether I can rush it all in 1 day, or have to get a 2 day pass.
You will need two days and that will be with the fast pass ( or whatever they are calling it )
Probably can knock them off in 3/4 day , with minimal rides and the like

NOLA, Memphis, Key West and Nashville the pick of that bunch.
Yeah probably. Key West was an afterthought and def want to go back, seems a place you could combine a relaxed / activity packed week.

Orlando went to Universal. Pro tip: go on weekdays and use the single rider lanes, even when there's a few of you in a group, unless a younger child doesn't want to be split up then what's the difference? Save a lot of time.

Memphis was pretty quiet (winter weeknight) and I get when people describe it as a bit gritty. Didn't realise the Civil Rights Museum was housed right at the Motel MLK got assassinated at.

Nashville was the cleanest, most 'Melbourne/modern feeling' city. Wish I had longer. Probably your best chance for under age drinking not that I recommend breaking the law of course.

NOLA is amazing. Quite diverse, something for everyone. Ended up meeting some randos from Mississippi in a bar on Frenchmen and partied on with them.

NYE was massive inNOLA with the Sugar Bowl on the 1st. I recon 50% of the tourists there were wearing Huskies or Longhorns gear out and about.

Oh and NBA Miami of course. Is it normal for so many of the seats to be empty though? Didn't detract from atmosphere but thought it was odd.

Last edited:
Oh and NBA Miami of course. Is it normal for so many of the seats to be empty though? Didn't detract from atmosphere but thought it was odd.

Who were they playing?

I've been in Chicago and New York when their basketball teams were bad and seats near the court were dirt cheap.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have 2 nights in LA on the way back from NYC just taking a short break before flying home, wanting to stay within 30 mins of LAX to not waste too much time getting to and from the airport to where we stay.

As it will be summer, was thinking the beach, is Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach or Redondo Beach areas any good for a 48 hour stay?

Other option is Venice Beach/ Santa Monica, but I've been to both before.

I have 2 nights in LA just taking a short break from NYC before flying home, wanting to stay within 30 mins of LAX to not waste too much time getting to and from the airport to where we stay.

As it will be summer, was thinking the beach, is Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach or Redondo Beach areas any good for a 48 hour stay?

Other option is Venice Beach/ Santa Monica, but I've been to both before

I stayed 2 nights there late May a few years ago. Prices were expensive so I got a private room in a hostel.

I thought it was a good area and good beach.

I wouldn't bother heading down to Redondo.

I found the walk up to Manhattan more pleasant.

Just got home after an amazing 2 months abroad, some thoughts below:

LA: Loved it as much as the first time I came here. Venice is such a cool neighborhood with lots going on. West Hollywood and Loz Feliz are beautiful, so green and lush. Went downtown for a hockey game, Crypto arena is good and DTLA has a few cool breweries and things going on, didn't venture too far east. The weather is amazing in SoCal

San Diego: Still chill, lots of breweries. Visiting family here which was nice, Torrey Pines is an amazing course to play.

Orlando: Not a fan, only stayed one night en route to Sawgrass (which was unreal!).

Arlington: AT&T stadium is still the best in the league, saw 2 Cowboys wins and finally got to do the stadium tour.

Atlanta: One of my best mates lives there now so stayed with him for a week. Loved the city, great food and great vibes.

NYC: Still one of my favourite cities on the planet. The trees were bright yellow and the Christmas decorations were out, was magical. Got to a hockey game at Madison Square, such an amazing place.

Philadelphia: Only stayed here one night so didn't get to see much but the south side is cool and quirky. Train came in through Kensington which was an eye opener.

Chicago: A city with a lot of heart, loved walking through the neighborhoods and bar hopping.

Detroit: Definitely on the rise, the downtown area is quite vibrant on the weekend and there is plenty to do. Went to a Lions game and the atmosphere was crazy, really cool stadium too. Went to a red wings game which was cool. Took the train out to Ann Arbor, lovely town and got to walk out onto the big house. Royal oak is also nice.

Seattle: Loved it, stayed in Pike/Pine which is a cool little area with good bars. Pike market was cool and loved capitol hill.

Vancouver: Like a cleaner Melbourne with beautiful surroundings. Quite expensive but lots to do, the national parks surrounding the city are amazing. Lots of aussies

Banff: Highlight of the trip, ski'd at all 3 resorts in temps of minus 25-30. Beautiful part of the world

Toronto: Didn't really scratch the surface here but very keen to come back and see more. Huge city, very gritty and tonnes to see and do.

I have 2 nights in LA on the way back from NYC just taking a short break before flying home, wanting to stay within 30 mins of LAX to not waste too much time getting to and from the airport to where we stay.

Other option is Venice Beach/ Santa Monica, but I've been to both before.
Can also do Culver city if Sony studios interests you. Lots of good restaurants around.

For those having Christmas in America, please tell me where you have it and if it's worth it.
Had Christmas in San Diego this year which was lovely but definitely not a white christmas, weather was beautiful.

NYC is where you want to be, I was there in early December and all the christmas stuff was already out. Place was magical and had the winter wonderland feel to it

Remove this Banner Ad

Back