Vale Colin Tully

Remove this Banner Ad

Blue Heart

Club Legend
Sep 21, 2011
AFL Club
Carlton
https://forever.collingwoodfc.com.au/players/colin-tully

I'm a Carlton supporter but lived several years in Bendigo in the mid 70's where I saw Colin Tully play for Kennington in Bendigo Football League. IMHO he was one of the best and longest kicks I have ever seen in the 50 odd years I have played and followed football. I have great memories of him kicking off from FB and consistently landing the football in the middle of the QEO.

Last edited:

Markfs

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 13, 2008
Fremantle
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Sydney Sweeney's Shaving Team...
i remember colin from the world of sport kicking competition which was a particular favourite segment of mine. In fact, I have a few strong memories of that show. I loved watching lou richards on the panel. I loved the interview of the two coaches from the match the day before..... I hated doug elliott who used to do all the in-show selling of products and I loved watching colin tully kick in the footy competition. The players would have a series of kicks. I think they had to kick a drop kick and a punt and I think they had to do a stab kick on a target and then they had to kick with the other foot. I cant remember the exact details. I distinctly remembering colin getting beaten one year and not being too happy about it. I also remember him kicking the ball over 70 yards. He was consistently the longest kick on the show.

RIP Colin “Nugget” Tully. A fantastic player and a great bloke.

He was a good friend of my father.

I’m not sure if people know this but he is one of the former players who the club helped out (about 10 years ago) by paying for surgery he needed on his hip due to injury he suffered in his playing days.

RIP Colin “Nugget” Tully. A fantastic player and a great bloke.

He was a good friend of my father.

I’m not sure if people know this but he is one of the former players who the club helped out (about 10 years ago) by paying for surgery he needed on his hip due to injury he suffered in his playing days.

The link in the OP suggested that he drifted away from the club for quite a while after 1970, so it's great to read of him coming back into the fold in some way.

That GF evidently broke his heart more than most:

He hit a purple patch of defensive form late in 1970, after struggling earlier in the year and being sent back to the reserves. But unfortunately his year ended on a controversial note when he was the back pocket assigned to mind Ted Hopkins after the Carlton forward came on at half-time in the Grand Final. Hopkins kicked four goals in the second half, though only two while directly opposed to Tully, inspiring football’s most famous comeback. In the aftermath, plenty of people unfairly blamed Colin Tully for the team fadeout which cost the Pies a seemingly unloseable flag...Tully felt the fallout from that loss worse than most. It proved to be his last game for Collingwood, and he kept his distance for a long time thereafter.

He would have been an interesting bloke to chat with.

jonmacTrag

Premiership Player
May 27, 2020
AFL Club
Collingwood
The link in the OP suggested that he drifted away from the club for quite a while after 1970, so it's great to read of him coming back into the fold in some way.

That GF evidently broke his heart more than most:

He hit a purple patch of defensive form late in 1970, after struggling earlier in the year and being sent back to the reserves. But unfortunately his year ended on a controversial note when he was the back pocket assigned to mind Ted Hopkins after the Carlton forward came on at half-time in the Grand Final. Hopkins kicked four goals in the second half, though only two while directly opposed to Tully, inspiring football’s most famous comeback. In the aftermath, plenty of people unfairly blamed Colin Tully for the team fadeout which cost the Pies a seemingly unloseable flag...Tully felt the fallout from that loss worse than most. It proved to be his last game for Collingwood, and he kept his distance for a long time thereafter.

He would have been an interesting bloke to chat with.
If anyone was to blame it was Tuddy for flattening Macca in the first half when he was destroying the scum with 4 goals and quite literally tearing them several new a-holes.

Markfs

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 13, 2008
Fremantle
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Sydney Sweeney's Shaving Team...
If anyone was to blame it was Tuddy for flattening Macca in the first half when he was destroying the scum with 4 goals and quite literally tearing them several new a-holes.

I dont think any one player was to blame. People try to work out why we folded in that third quarter. They never ask why Carlton was so pathetic in the first half. The halftime break broke that momentum and the Pies thought that they had it won. Barassi convinced his team that it was worth re-starting in the second half and inspired them with a few magic tricks that made them believe. No one bats an eyelid these days when teams overcome a 7 goal lead, but it was a shock in those days. The story about Tully not playing for the pies again reminds me that while the game has been an open sore for me all those years, it's been far worse for those directly involved. I wish that they won that premiership not for me, but for themselves.

domus

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 31, 2008
Mooroolbark
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Mooroolbark footy club
I remember the thrill of playing against him back in 1978 when he captain coached Donvale in the Eastern Suburban Churches Footy League. I was playing for St Peters and on both occasions we played Donvale our coach just sat back and told us to listen to Tully rant at his team during the half time break.. On one occasion he threatened to quit as coach as he was so disgusted with their performance up to halftime!

I remember feeling thrilled when I tackled him and on another occasion when he sold me a dummy. Wow! Colin Tully just made me look stupid. This was only eight years after the infamous 1970 grand final and I viewed all of the Collingwood boys as close to gods!

RIP Colin Tully.

domus

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 31, 2008
Mooroolbark
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Mooroolbark footy club
I dont think any one player was to blame. People try to work out why we folded in that third quarter. They never ask why Carlton was so pathetic in the first half. The halftime break broke that momentum and the Pies thought that they had it won. Barassi convinced his team that it was worth re-starting in the second half and inspired them with a few magic tricks that made them believe. No one bats an eyelid these days when teams overcome a 7 goal lead, but it was a shock in those days. The story about Tully not playing for the pies again reminds me that while the game has been an open sore for me all those years, it's been far worse for those directly involved. I wish that they won that premiership not for me, but for themselves.
It still cuts me deeply. I agree- I grieve for those players, they deserved to be premiership legends. Mckenna, Thommo, Wayne and Max Richardson, Greening, Pricey, Tuddy...what a bloody team!

McOrist

Club Legend
Aug 17, 2009
The East
AFL Club
Collingwood
Colin represented Victoria against W.A and S.A. in 1967. He then represented W.A. in 1972 after he moved to Claremont at the start of 1971.
His last game for the 'Pies was the infamous 1970 Grand Final. Vale Colin.

jonmacTrag

Premiership Player
May 27, 2020
AFL Club
Collingwood
Such typical Collingwood luck. It is truly endless.
Agreed what really hurt though was when sis and I were catching the red rattler at Jolimont after the game all the scum raving about how brilliant Barassi was. FMD if Macca hadn't been smashed out of the game by Tuddy we would have obliterated them.
For those still in love the the legend of barassi the coach. Check out his coaching career closely and objectively without the media balloon juice.
Won the '70 GF by default.
Won the '79 GF by default.
North Melbourne years - my grandmother could have won flags with the playing list Ron Casey bought him year after year.
What about his years at Melbourne - a club without the endless brown paper bags that could buy him players?
A good ordinary coach with a great press agent and an endless ego.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

domus

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 31, 2008
Mooroolbark
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Mooroolbark footy club
Agreed what really hurt though was when sis and I were catching the red rattler at Jolimont after the game all the scum raving about how brilliant Barassi was. FMD if Macca hadn't been smashed out of the game by Tuddy we would have obliterated them.
For those still in love the the legend of barassi the coach. Check out his coaching career closely and objectively without the media balloon juice.
North Melbourne years - my grandmother could have won flags with the playing list Ron Casey bought him year after year.
What about his years at Melbourne - a club without the endless brown paper bags that could buy him players?
Jezza was the coach in 79.

Blue Heart

Club Legend
Sep 21, 2011
AFL Club
Carlton
i remember colin from the world of sport kicking competition which was a particular favourite segment of mine. In fact, I have a few strong memories of that show. I loved watching lou richards on the panel. I loved the interview of the two coaches from the match the day before..... I hated doug elliott who used to do all the in-show selling of products and I loved watching colin tully kick in the footy competition. The players would have a series of kicks. I think they had to kick a drop kick and a punt and I think they had to do a stab kick on a target and then they had to kick with the other foot. I cant remember the exact details. I distinctly remembering colin getting beaten one year and not being too happy about it. I also remember him kicking the ball over 70 yards. He was consistently the longest kick on the show.

I was an avid fan too of that WOS Champion Kicking Comp. that was shown every Sunday on Ch. 7 and Colin Tully along with Bernie Quinlan were consistently the two longest kicks. I was lucky enough to play country cricket against him in latter life and he was a very stylish, left hand, compact, sweet timer of the ball who was good enough to bat No. 3 for Collingwood 1sts for several seasons and play for the Vic. country X1 V. the West Indies in 1976.

Blue Heart

Club Legend
Sep 21, 2011
AFL Club
Carlton

I know I'm very deep in enemy territory here ... but sorry to correct you factually and rain on your anti Barassi / Carlton parade but if checked Barassi's record as closely as you claimed you did, you would know that Jezza was Capt. Coach of the Blues when they won the 1979 GF and Barassi coached Carlton to win the GF in 1968 as well 1970.

jonmacTrag

Premiership Player
May 27, 2020
AFL Club
Collingwood
I know I'm very deep in enemy territory here ... but sorry to correct you factually and rain on your anti Barassi / Carlton parade but if checked Barassi's record as closely as you claimed you did, you would know that Jezza was Capt. Coach of the Blues when they won the 1979 GF and Barassi coached Carlton to win the GF in 1968 as well 1970.
You need to check previous posts when you are so eager to jump in sunshine - I was corrected by a fellow Collingwood member of THIS territory and apologized instantly.
Now seeing as you are a self confessed supporter of the scum . . .
Piss off.

35Daicos

Premium Platinum
Mar 6, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood (VFL), Man Utd.

1601219634488.png

Remove this Banner Ad

Back