Vale Doug Thomas

Legendary West Adelaide administrator. He hated Port but only because he wanted Westies to be like us. Was a colourful TV personality on the local Sunday footy shows.

Oct 8, 2004
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool
THOMAS, Doug

The Port Adelaide Football Club wish to extend its sincere condolences on the passing of SA Football Icon, Doug Thomas.

Forever a fierce competitor on and off the field, always respected.

Our thoughts are with his family, colleagues and friends.

Mar 1, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
From the late 70's to the mid 90's I used to regularly have a few beers with mates at the West club on Friday nights and I got to know Doug fairly well, he was a good bloke and sensational with kids, even though he didn't have any of his own.

Vale Doug Thomas.

On the Sunday Footy Show Doug was questioned about all the Victorian recruits he was bringing to Westies. Doug retorted that his zone included the Adelaide Cemetery, Adelaide airport and Marineland. We're not going to get much bloody talent out of those places!

Doug was good value when I was a kid and a youth, was one of those colourful footy characters, but like too many others in sport playing and administration, hung on for too long as he had no real prospects outside footy.

My footy coach of a few years in the mid 80's wasn't a fan of Doug. Used to refer to him as the criminal. Think it might have had something to do with using club monies for private use.

Lawnchair Larry

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2015
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
My bro was involved with Westies for a time, and had occasion to sit in on board meetings presided over by Doug.
The club was so cash strapped that Doug would not allow the lights to be turned on, in order to save on power bills. So the meetings were conducted in rapidly fading half light.
Not sure whether it got to pitch black.

Back