Garibaldi Red

Cancelled
Bring Back the Bars
Jul 22, 2009
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Nottingham Forest
just posted this in the cricket discussion but probably deserves its own thread.

Sad news for Australian cricket, and indeed sports, lovers

RIP Max `Tangles ' Walker, who was brought from Tassie by the Dees to play footy, and ended up being an Aussie test cricketer.

From memory he was a batsman who bowled occasionally in Tassie grade cricket, which at the time was his secondary sport.

His highest test score of 78* came in his last test innings. Previous to that his career record had been 508 runs in 42 innings , 12 not out at an average of 16.93. He finished with 586 runs, 43 innings, 13 not out, average 19.53. Australia were only leading by 22 with 7 wickets down when Walker came in but were 171 ahead when the innings ended. However the game ended in a draw and probably would have done so anyway as the whole first day and nearly all of the third day were lost due to weather.

I remember that day in January 1973 when Pakistan needed around 160 to win and Max Walker knocked them over for 106. I watched every ball of that innings and it was close to the best bowling performance I have ever seen, Tangles took 6-15 off 16 overs with 8 maidens.

A Tasmanian by birth Max Walker was a dying breed as he played both VFL football and Test cricket. He was originally enticed to Melbourne to play football but eventually found his way into the Victorian Shield side.

I encountered Max Walker one day at the Adelaide Oval when he was working for Channel Nine. He had just come down the steps from the NINE commentary box under the moreton bays. I looked at him and said, 'Aveagoodweekend Mr Walker'. He looked straight back at me, smiled broadly and said, 'you too son'. I was late thirties at the time.

A sad day as a significant Aussie sportsman and a good bloke passes on.

I remember that day in January 1973 when Pakistan needed around 160 to win and Max Walker knocked them over for 106. I watched every ball of that innings and it was close to the best bowling performance I have ever seen, Tangles took 6-15 off 16 overs with 8 maidens.
I remember that game and that particular day, listening to the radio while I was sitting in the back of a car with my grandmother, whose friends were returning to Melbourne and taking us with them so we could have a holiday there. It was my first trip to Melbourne. Never could have imagined back then that I'd end up living in the place.

Saddened to hear of Max's passing. 68 is just too young to be leaving this world.

Many rave about Lillee and Thomson, and rightly so - they were arguably the most fearsome new ball attack Australia has ever produced. But people often forget what a fantastic bowler Max Walker was. He looked ungainly, but he was damn effective. If Mitchell Starc had an opening partner like him today, we'd be a far better team.

He was also one of the game's great characters. There'll never be another Max Walker.

RIP big fella.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back