Opinion Vent & Offtopic

Remove this Banner Ad

Many years ago I was bashed by a police officer, my parents complained and I was not believed. Until his partner a young police woman stood up and told the truth, showing courage and a willingness to do what is right.

There is good and bad in all sectors of life

Was this before you were about 7ft4?

Many years ago I was bashed by a police officer, my parents complained and I was not believed. Until his partner a young police woman stood up and told the truth, showing courage and a willingness to do what is right.

There is good and bad in all sectors of life
should be noted said "policeman" was actually a security guard next to the Krispy Kreme display

You got that right. Police have a toxic culture which is 100% unionised so that none of them ever gets convicted of anything and the worst cops are protected from being uncovered instead of the same effort going into protecting the weak and vulnerable.
20 years ago maybe, but certainly not today.

The fact is that Police often simply don't face the same level of Treatment(by fellow officers) or justice as ordinary citizens do when they are either suspected of, or convicted of a crime. I really don't know how the ''boys club'' mentality isn't seen by some, perhaps others don't watch shows like Four Corners & Foreign Correspondent or have a keen interest in cases where police are found to either be suspects in a crime or are being accused of corruption as I do.

Every time the cops take on a ''He's one of us, we protect our own'' approach they grow the divide of mistrust between communities and themselves and plant another seed of a ''it's us vs them'' mentality, which is a natural defensive response to a stressful job where over time the perceived threats can force a person into that protective group think mentality. There lies the problem, that ''brotherhood'' mentality can become a slippery slope not unlike criminal culture.

It only takes 1 cop, who's heavy handed and beats someone to a pulp in their cell to start a chain reaction of Police covering for each other, (because hey,that guy was a scumbag junkie who spat in officer such & such's face and deserved it anyway, so why should such & such lose his job and his livelihood over that loser) that is ultimately Police corruption, it can happen that easy and there is almost certainly a culture of ''don't snitch on your mates'' that is undeniably similar to that in criminal cultures.

So too summarise, I am not saying that all cops are bad and corrupt but until they start dobbing in their own and facing the same penalties as the rest of us they do not deserve the peoples trust or respect as an organisation and their ''brotherhood'' can most definitely be called a ''Toxic culture".

Just my two cents worth.
This is the vent page. Queensland cops are and have always been crooked. 25 years ago, they changed their name from Force to Service. Campbell Newman wanted to change it back, which shows how backward some people in power are about it. The Police are enlisted to serve, never force. Yet we continue to see people murdered in custody (usually black) and thoroughly guilty scumbags go free because cops screw up the investigation. Let's face facts, the Police as a whole are mostly decent people, but the dirty cops in their midst are routinely protected and wrongdoers are NEVER convicted.

You only have to look at Peter Dutton to see how evil cops can get. I'd run the bloke over if I saw him on the road and his own electorate will be voting him out of parliament next year. FYI, my Dad was a cop and I know first hand what miserable bastards they are and how quickly they left him hung out to dry when he was forced to retire with PTSD. I tell my daughter to run away from cops until she can find a woman she trust or me. She's 6. Cops don't have my trust and when I've ever needed them they've only proven my mistrust.

An old mate of mine used to be a cop around the time of the Fitzgerald Inquiry. When he got out I asked him why he left. His exact words to me were “Some of the other cops were worse than the criminals!”
The QLD Police lost half its officers in the late 80s. Some of them were crooked and went to jail or got the boot. But a lot of them left because of the corruption. The academy was pumping through recruits every 6 months to fill the void, but you can't say they were a high standard. That was when my old man joined at age 41. When he started he was a warm, empathetic man was a positive attitude toward women and no intolerance toward foreigners or indigenous people. 14 years in the cops turned him into a hard drinking misogynist racist who lives with crushing PTSD. At 55 they turned him out because in their culture age = weakness. Toxic culture that I'm not convinced has changed in the 14 years since.

See but here in lies the problem. I spend all day on a ferry to get to the mainland, go do my Xmas shopping, get to my accommodation, crack a beer and open the macbook looking for something to read on bigfooty..... But alas, no alerts. No new updates. No reported posts to deal with. This would never have happened if 17er was here.

wpid-11693886_681708228629492_1216590810828997313_n.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We need to team up with Southport and get in on some Pokies Action. Need to sure up our existence by getting onboard the great cash cow.
We're exploring other (less damaging to the community) options:

Gold Coast Suns in talks to establish early learning centre as part of plans to become financially stable

https://www.goldcoastbulletin.com.a...e/news-story/2f2dcf22d260a4292f27ccd27ac6c5e0

THE Gold Coast Suns have revealed plans to establish an early learning centre and childcare industry training college at their Carrara base in a bid to make it more commercially viable.

Findings from the Stadiums Taskforce Report announced this week include the club’s proposal as they try to find ways to make the AFL franchise more financially stable.

The Taskforce detailed in its final report that the Suns could save $830,000 per annum if proposals to reduce their sinking fund payments, used the land for a child care centre and increased stadium event attraction through reduced costs of police, security and transport were put in place.

Last edited by a moderator:
Smart use of the space. Would be a good way to make some extra coin.
I decided to have a look at the taskforce's findings and this is what I found:

EY3Em8s.jpg

9IMsMEn.jpg

It's really the last pocket of the sports precinct that isn't occupied and an area we can use to create revenue. We would receive rent from the early learning centre and likely have opportunities to grow our fanbase through the families interested in said learning centre. I think it's a win-win for both the club and the community.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back