Portfolio VFL 2024 – What if the league never expanded nationally*?

Remove this Banner Ad

south melbourne (82) footscray (89) fitzroy & hawthorn (96) would have folded instead of merging or relocating and would be an 8 team comp like the wafl sanfl

south melbourne (82) footscray (89) fitzroy & hawthorn (96) would have folded instead of merging or relocating and would be an 8 team comp like the wafl sanfl
I think in the real world you might be right (other than Hawthorn) given there were no license fees from the Eagles and Bears to save them. In all honesty though I was mainly aiming for 12 to hit the same number the VFL had for the majority of its existence, while also making sure I didn't fold any of the clubs. The only thing I might have redone is Footscray, I could've merged them with Fitzroy but then that would've left Richmond, was always going to be left with one weaker club staying afloat when I decided to keep it as 12 teams.

I think in the real world you might be right (other than Hawthorn) given there were no license fees from the Eagles and Bears to save them. In all honesty though I was mainly aiming for 12 to hit the same number the VFL had for the majority of its existence, while also making sure I didn't fold any of the clubs. The only thing I might have redone is Footscray, I could've merged them with Fitzroy but then that would've left Richmond, was always going to be left with one weaker club staying afloat when I decided to keep it as 12 teams.

Why not merge Melbourne with Fitzroy to form the Melbourne Lions? This came very close to happening in 1986, to the point where both boards had agreed on name, jumper, board etc. Colours are also very similar and a very compatible jumper could be designed.

Merge Richmond with Hawthorn to form the Richmond Hawks wearing brown and gold or the Hawthorn Tigers wearing black and gold in some sort of sash or striped guernsey. Both have gold in their colours.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back