VFL Army Reserves Competition

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 7, 2005
melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
hawthorn
From 1981 to 1986, the Reserves competition would have 1 match played on a Sunday at Lake Oval - when the swans were not playing in Sydney, and the game would be televised on Channel 7 after World of Sport. Prior to 1981, it was called the Commodore Cup and the Sunday game was played at Moorabbin.

In regards to the games at Lake Oval, did anybody here used to attend them at all?? i myself attended a few of them back in that 1983-1986 era, good times, got to go on the ground at the qtr and 3 qtr time breaks and hear the coaches address the team, or have a kick on the ground, whatever your preference.

Would anybody happen to have any old tapes at all of these old reserves games?? i am always looking for old vfl footage, whether its seniors or reserves from this era. i have a few already from Lake Oval, but looking for more.

If anyone can possibly assist me, then i would really love to hear from you.

cheers

During your time attending Commodore Cup games, did you go to the game where John Bourke shoved the umpire and jumped into the crowd?

During your time attending Commodore Cup games, did you go to the game where John Bourke shoved the umpire and jumped into the crowd?

This happened in 1985, and it was the Army reserve cup by then. i did not attend this game myself, but did watch it at home live that day

It was primarily set up along with direct telecasts of the Swans Sydney Sunday matches by Allen Aylett VFL President at the time to kill off the VFA telecasts on CH 10 which they did by about the mid 1980s.

I went to the first Commodore Cup game at Moorabbin. The world of sport panel turned up by helicopter ( i think ) and kicked hundreds of footies into the crowd, but i was unable to get one.
At another game there i heard Phil Carman give an umpire a massive spray, with no consequences. He would be suspended today.
Also went to a couple of games at South Melbourne, remember even then looking in awe at how old the facilities were.

I remember my dad taking me to the Lake Oval one sunny Sunday afternoon in the early 80’s to watch the Melbourne reserves play. Sorry I can’t remember who they played, but it wasn’t Collingwood. I found this decision of his baffling, as we are one eyed pies fan, but hey anything that got me out of mowing the lawns was fine by me. He never said till we got to the ground that he wanted to see the 2 Irish recruits in Sean Wight and Jim Stynes. We stood on the outer wing where the Melbourne reserves coach Ray “slug” Jordon was also standing nearby coaching (screaming at) his charges.
Fondly remember Sean Wight attacking the ball on centre wing, gaining possession, running towards goal, bouncing the ball, selling the dummy, twisting turning and kicking a sensational goal.
Ray Jordon dropped his clipboard, turned to his assistant, and started laughing. When he composed himself, I heard him say while he was shaking his head, well I’ve seen everything.

I remember my dad taking me to the Lake Oval one sunny Sunday afternoon in the early 80’s to watch the Melbourne reserves play. Sorry I can’t remember who they played, but it wasn’t Collingwood. I found this decision of his baffling, as we are one eyed pies fan, but hey anything that got me out of mowing the lawns was fine by me. He never said till we got to the ground that he wanted to see the 2 Irish recruits in Sean Wight and Jim Stynes. We stood on the outer wing where the Melbourne reserves coach Ray “slug” Jordon was also standing nearby coaching (screaming at) his charges.
Fondly remember Sean Wight attacking the ball on centre wing, gaining possession, running towards goal, bouncing the ball, selling the dummy, twisting turning and kicking a sensational goal.
Ray Jordon dropped his clipboard, turned to his assistant, and started laughing. When he composed himself, I heard him say while he was shaking his head, well I’ve seen everything.

Yes, i saw Slug coaching from the outer wing at Moorabbin too. He was being his usual self, and eventually the runner had to take a break as he was exhausted from running out with slugs messages.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back