Discussion VFL Stars who were duds in the WAFL or SANFL.

Remove this Banner Ad

qman

All Australian
Jun 7, 2011
Swan Hill
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Traditional vic teams
I was always a one eyed victorian but I remember watching a few sanfl finals as a young kid and I appreciated that league, I remember it being more skilful than the VFA. However recently I have been watching old WAFL and SANFL Grand Finals from the mid 70's through until 1981 so far. I find the WAFL to be every bit as skilled as the VFL and the SANFL comparable aswell. I know some absolute guns from WA and SA were duds in the VFL, a guy like Graham Cornes was such a terrific player but failed at North. Kevin Taylor couldn't make it at Sydney/South and Fitzroy from memory even though he was an amazing player in WA. Russell Ebert another example. It beggars belief to me that Cornes wasn't up to it when he tried the VFL. I know the footy was tougher in the VFL and crazy violent back in those days, could that be a reason?
However, I was also wondering, were there ever VFL stars who crossed to the WAFL or SANFL for any reason whatsoever and didn't make it?

Wayne Johnston struggled in the SANFL with sturt, although admittedly he was 33 at the time.

Wes Fellowes won a Copeland but didn't do a great deal with Port's SANFL side in early 90s

Wow, harsh on Ebert who was 30, flying across each week and got the most possessions of any NM player that year.
I didn't know that, it was a year or two before I started watching footy and I would have been single digits in age at the time. I am only going by what I have heard, I even heard it from a 1980 state game by one of the commentators. Now I am confused!

Wow, harsh on Ebert who was 30, flying across each week and got the most possessions of any NM player that year.
Obviously, I am happy to take back what I posted about Ebert. Obviously I don't think these players are duds but for whatever reason it didn't work out for them in the vfl. If Ebert had to fly across every weekend, certainly not ideal.

Victorians who had bad times in the outlands
Not aways due to onfield ability

bill barrott (WT)
Robbie Muir (WT)
Jacko (SF)
Dennis Jones (as coach of WP)
Don Scott ( as temporary coach of SA)

can think of more coaches than players destroying their reps (Kevin Higgins)

Ron Galt ?Vinnie Cataggio?

Last edited:

bill barrott (WT)
Robbie Muir (WT)
Jacko (SF)

Rod Galt? He was ok at West Torrens.

bill barrott (WT)
Robbie Muir (WT)
Jacko (SF)

Loved Cataggio @ Subi He spent the second half of the 1976 season and the whole of 1977 playing 30 WAFL games and kicking 53 goals 'on lease' with Subiaco.

How did Jacko go in WAFL? Didn’t he join South Fremantle and his team mate Rioli Snr thump him?
After playing colts and reserves football for Richmond in 1977 and 1978, Jackson started his senior career in the West Australian Football League, spending the 1979 season with South Fremantle. Coach Mal Brown employed Jackson as a forward to protect Ray Bauskis, a skilful but lightweight full-forward. Jackson kicked 53 goals in 22 games and Bauskis 66 in 17 games. South Fremantle finished second in 1979. The night before the second semi-final, Jackson returned to Melbourne after being told that the other players had voted him out of the team. He consequently missed out on playing in the 1979 grand final, which saw the then largest crowd in West Australian football history.[2]

Jackson returned to South Fremantle for the 1987 WAFL season, and kicked 45 goals from the opening 10 games. This included nine goals against West Perth in round three. South Fremantle won its opening three games of the season, but then went on an 18-match losing streak to win the wooden spoon – the club's first since 1972. Jackson walked out on the club after round 10, where the Bulldogs lost to West Perth by a league-record 210 points. Despite only playing half the season, he still finished as the club's leading goalkicker.[15][16] Later in 1987, he went to Queensland and played a game for QAFL club Kedron; he was paid a large fee of $2,000 per game, but his presence drew a large crowd which earned more than $12,000 for the club.[17] He had intended to play more games for Kedron, but was suspended for unbecoming conduct after dropping his shorts several times during the match.[18]

& yes Maurice Snr could box:
The late Rioli was an all-round sportsman. His fine footy career was full of brilliant highlights and match-winning performances. As well as enjoying cricket, basketball and rugby league, Rioli won several state amateur boxing titles. Word has it he put Mark ‘Jacko’ Jackson in his place with a dominant display against the much bigger man while they were teammates in WA.

Daryl Sutton came over to play for the Black Ducks, but fizzled.

Geoff Blethyn did pretty well at Claremont.

Dean Herbert played well for Perth, but was badly let down by off field indiscretions.

Had to laugh at a previous post with a mention of AFL players that could box. They listed Michael Long, not a player that I would have thought of as a quality boxer.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Saw a few of his games at North and he was BOG average. May have had the most possessions but had very little impact. Obviously a fantastic player, just left it too late to come across.
Was best on ground a year or two later in an SANFL Grand Final. I take on board his possesion tally at North but your take on his time at North seems to be the supported position by most. Pretty crazy that Graham Cornes couldn't hack it at North too, I wonder if he clashed with Barassi?

Was best on ground a year or two later in an SANFL Grand Final. I take on board his possesion tally at North but your take on his time at North seems to be the supported position by most. Pretty crazy that Graham Cornes couldn't hack it at North too, I wonder if he clashed with Barassi?
Yeah, Cornes and Barassi apparently didn't get along.
The following year Cornes won a Tassie Medal.

Stewart Magee. After playing 216 VFL games he was appointed coach of Swan Districts in the WANFL for 1976. He only lasted one season before telling the President of the club he wouldnt be coaching the next season. Magee's decision saved the president from having to sack him. in 1977 he was cleared to East Fremantle, but ended the season playing for their Reserves team in the Grand Final.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back