2nds VFL elimination final, 2.40pm - September 2 at Port Melbourne. @RichmondVFL vs @CollingwoodFC: f

Remove this Banner Ad

Age has nothing to do with it.
Of course it does. He's had injuries that have prevented him doing pre-seasons and he's still building his confidence, tank and strength.

The whole point is that the VFL team don't wear Richmond jumpers though
It's a stupid point. What club do they play for? And those are Richmond clash jumpers anyway, so they are "Richmond jumpers". Just not Richmond jumpers.

It's a stupid point. What club do they play for? And those are Richmond clash jumpers anyway, so they are "Richmond jumpers". Just not Richmond jumpers.

Playing for the VFL team doesn't necessarily make you apart of the Richmond Football Club, being that the VFL side is fielded by both AFL listed players, and a separate VFL list.

The VFL club has existed since 2014, whereas the AFL club that we all know and love has existed since 1885. Massive difference between the two.

It's the same thing as the Port Adelaide Magpies and Port Adelaide Power being different clubs. Despite what some Power fans might try and convince us of, the clubs are completely separate identities, and even though they're linked and affiliated, the Port Magpies have a far richer and deeper history, albeit in an inferior competition to the original VFL/AFL competition.

It might be a side that's being funded by the RFC as a whole, but the 22 players that get to wear the jumper in the top elite competition in the AFL deserve the honor and distinction of being the only ones who actually get to wear the special and traditional Yellow sash.

100% get it.

Last edited:
Playing for the VFL team doesn't necessarily make you apart of the Richmond Football Club, being that the VFL side is fielded by both AFL listed players, and a separate VFL list.
"Apart", and "a part", opposite meanings.

Playing for the Richmond reserves team absolutely makes you a part of the Richmond Football Club. Being on the VFL list just means you can't play for the AFL side.

The VFL club has existed since 2014, whereas the AFL club that we all know and love has existed since 1885. Massive difference between the two.
Nonsense. It's not a separate club. It's the Richmond reserves team.

It's the same thing as the Port Adelaide Magpies and Port Adelaide Power being different clubs. Despite what some Power fans might try and convince us of, the clubs are completely separate identities, and even though they're linked and affiliated, the Port Magpies have a far richer and deeper history, albeit in an inferior competition to the original VFL/AFL competition.
No, it's entirely different. The Port Magpies existed before the Power. The SANFL clubs whinged enough to get the AFL to decree that they be two separate clubs, a ridiculous situation that has since been rectified.

It might be a side that's being funded by the RFC as a whole, but the 22 players that get to wear the jumper in the top elite competition in the AFL deserve the honor and distinction of being the only ones who actually get to wear the special and traditional Yellow sash.
Horseshit. We had a reserves side for 100 years, and they wore Richmond jumpers. Playing AFL is special enough without needing to make the jumper exclusive. This is just another dumb gimmick like the captain wears #17 bullshit Cotch was smart enough to tell to GAGF.

The Richmond reserves team is Richmond Football Club, through and through. I want to see them wear Richmond jumpers.

The VFL side has worn these jumpers this year. Would be preferable to the bright yellow.
467549-tlsnewslandscape.jpg

Meanwhile, here's the Richmond reserves celebrating winning the 1997 flag:
28916-tlsnewslandscape.jpg

Maybe we could honour the 20th anniversary of our club's most recent premiership by wearing Richmond jumpers.

The VFL side has worn these jumpers this year. Would be preferable to the bright yellow.
467549-tlsnewslandscape.jpg

Meanwhile, here's the Richmond reserves celebrating winning the 1997 flag:
28916-tlsnewslandscape.jpg

Maybe we could honour the 20th anniversary of our club's most recent premiership by wearing Richmond jumpers.
Can we get a team list who played in that inaugural event ?

Of course it does. He's had injuries that have prevented him doing pre-seasons and he's still building his confidence, tank and strength.
Sorry mate.Use to be a fan of his but enough of the excuses.He,s timid and goes missing more often than not.Won,t make it.

"Apart", and "a part", opposite meanings.

Playing for the Richmond reserves team absolutely makes you a part of the Richmond Football Club. Being on the VFL list just means you can't play for the AFL side.

Nonsense. It's not a separate club. It's the Richmond reserves team.

No, it's entirely different. The Port Magpies existed before the Power. The SANFL clubs whinged enough to get the AFL to decree that they be two separate clubs, a ridiculous situation that has since been rectified.

Horseshit. We had a reserves side for 100 years, and they wore Richmond jumpers. Playing AFL is special enough without needing to make the jumper exclusive. This is just another dumb gimmick like the captain wears #17 bullshit Cotch was smart enough to tell to GAGF.

The Richmond reserves team is Richmond Football Club, through and through. I want to see them wear Richmond jumpers.

I made a grammatical error, you got my point though. I obviously meant "a part" but typed it wrong. The fact that you've led off with that says a fair bit though. :rolleyes:

These are the key points for mine:

- The Richmond Football Club in the AFL is A PART of the league formerly known as the Victorian Football League (VFL), which later become the Australian Football League (AFL). This club has been in existence since 1885.

- The Richmond Football Club in the VFL is a closely-aligned, but ultimately separate entity that is A PART of the league formerly known as the Victorian Football Association (VFA), which was later renamed to the Victorian Football League (VFL) after that name became free following the re-branding of the above league. This club has been in existence since 2014, and was created and funded by the AFL affiliate.

- The Richmond VFL club is very closely associated with the AFL counterpart, BUT they are still a separate club, with their own membership, their own finances, and their own coaches that are NOT part of the AFL club.

- The ONLY difference between the Port Power/Magpies situation vs. the Richmond AFL/VFL situation, is that the Port situation happened in reverse. The Port Adelaide Magpies wanted to leave their league entirely, and join the AFL as they were. They were not allowed to do so for various reasons, so therefore a NEW club was created, called the Port Adelaide Power, to join the elite competition and carry the Port Adelaide name. However, this new club IS NOT the Port Adelaide Magpies, who were denied entry into the league and remained in the SANFL.

- The Richmond Tigers AFL club wanted an opportunity to create a new club that they had full creative control over, rather than being aligned with Coburg and not having as much control, so they applied for a completely separate VFL license and created a new club called the Richmond Tigers, who play exclusively in the VFL competition and have an alignment with the AFL club.

- The only way that the VFL club would actually be the Richmond Football Club genuinely and purely, is if the AFL club withdrew from the AFL competition and joined the VFL as it was.

- Although it is treated as such these days (which is disappointing), in the purest sense of the word, the VFL is NOT a reserves competition. It is a league of its' own that has its' own clubs and a rich history, that has existed for almost as long as the VFL/AFL competition has.

Last edited:
I made a grammatical error, you got my point though. I obviously meant "a part" but typed it wrong. The fact that you've led off with that says a fair bit though. :rolleyes:

- The Richmond Football Club in the AFL is A PART of the league formerly known as the Victorian Football League (VFL), which later become the Australian Football League (AFL). This club has been in existence since 1885.

- The Richmond Football Club in the VFL is a closely-aligned, but ultimately separate entity that is A PART of the league formerly known as the Victorian Football Association (VFA), which was later renamed to the Victorian Football League (VFL) after that name became free following the re-branding of the above league. This club has been in existence since 2014, and was created and funded by the AFL affiliate.

- The Richmond VFL club is very closely associated with the AFL counterpart, BUT they are still a separate club, with their own membership, their own finances, and their own coaches that are NOT part of the AFL club.

- The ONLY difference between the Port Power/Magpies situation vs. the Richmond AFL/VFL situation, is that the Port situation happened in reverse. The Port Adelaide Magpies wanted to leave their league entirely, and join the AFL as they were. They were not allowed to do so for various reasons, so therefore a NEW club was created, called the Port Adelaide Power, to join the elite competition and carry the Port Adelaide name. However, this new club IS NOT the Port Adelaide Magpies, who were denied entry into the league and remained in the SANFL.

- The Richmond Tigers AFL club wanted an opportunity to create a new club that they had full creative control over, rather than being aligned with Coburg and not having as much control, so they applied for a completely separate VFL license and created a new club called the Richmond Tigers, who play exclusively in the VFL competition and have an alignment with the AFL club.

- The only way that the VFL club would actually be the Richmond Football Club genuinely and purely, is if the AFL club withdrew from the AFL competition and joined the VFL as it was.
Garbage.

You could at least have thanked me for teaching you the difference between 'apart' and 'a part'.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Garbage.

You could at least have thanked me for teaching you the difference between 'apart' and 'a part'.

Already knew the difference buddy, just a typo.

And you should be the one thanking me for teaching you about the history of the two leagues (VFA/VFL and VFL/AFL), because judging by your reaction to my little footy lesson, you obviously don't understand how it all works! :eek::thumbsu::)

faa8f294b7d0aa774084af4f0902f6892c51297a285ee9b669a53fa841e7e914.jpg

Already knew the difference buddy, just a typo.

And you should be the one thanking me for teaching you about the history of the two leagues (VFA/VFL and VFL/AFL), because judging by your reaction to my little footy lesson, you obviously don't understand how it all works! :eek::thumbsu::)

faa8f294b7d0aa774084af4f0902f6892c51297a285ee9b669a53fa841e7e914.jpg
Ok, meat. I can see your fragile ego has been bruised by me pointing out your 'typo'. I apologise for highlighting your ignorance and hurting your feelings.

The rest of your posts are absolute horseshit, I'm afraid, Snowflake.

- Although it is treated as such these days (which is disappointing), in the purest sense of the word, the VFL is NOT a reserves competition. It is a league of its' own that has its' own clubs and a rich history, that has existed for almost as long as the VFL/AFL competition has.
If you honestly believe all of that, I suspect that you've never been involved in a football club yourself.

I'd be extremely confident that the Richmond FC don't see it that way. That would create a TERRIBLE culture. Who'd want to be involved in a club where certain elements of the club were treated as inferior?!

Ok, meat. I can see your fragile ego has been bruised by me pointing out your 'typo'. I apologise for highlighting your ignorance and hurting your feelings.

The rest of your posts are absolute horseshit, I'm afraid, Snowflake.

I make a number of valid and factual points as to why the two clubs aren't the same entity.

You say "That's garbage" and provide no counter arguments to anything I say.

That about sums it up. :drunk:

If you honestly believe all of that, I suspect that you've never been involved in a football club yourself.

I'd be extremely confident that the Richmond FC don't see it that way. That would create a TERRIBLE culture. Who'd want to be involved in a club where certain elements of the club were treated as inferior?!

I'm sure internally the RFC don't treat the VFL club as such, I agree with you about that. But I'm also sure that they would have embraced Coburg as part of the RFC family too, while that alignment was active.

Any AFL club, whether they've created a new VFL club themselves, or they're aligned with an existing VFL club, would treat that alignment with the utmost respect and inclusion, but it doesn't mean that it's all one club that shares the same history.

The Richmond VFL club started active competition in 2014 and did not exist prior to that, the Richmond AFL club has existed since 1885.

It's actually far more disrespectful to the VFL clubs and the VFL competition as a whole, to relegate any of the clubs that play in it as simply "reserves" sides for the AFL that have no identity of their own, separate from their AFL affiliates.

Until AFL Victoria decides to step in and either close down the VFL, and/or start a brand new AFL reserves competition that is solely dedicated to only growing AFL clubs and nothing else, then these are separate entities with separate licenses who play for completely unrelated success.

By declaring the VFL club separate from the AFL club as an entity, I'm;

A) Being factual.
B) Showing the VFL club MORE respect, by actually seeing them as their own club, rather than just our 2nd's team.

100% get it.

I'm interested to hear your thoughts on the pre-Coburg days (not that long ago really). When I used to go to PRO in 1995 and watch the ressies play before the seniors, i'm pretty sure they were playing for Richmond Football Club. Ever since the AFL trimmed the lists down from 58 players (I think it was), there had to be top up players playing in the reserves because there simply was not enough players to go around for two teams. I remember watching Tim Notting play as a top up player one day; he went on to success in Brisbane when Northey left. Or do you consider the pre- and post-Coburg reserves teams different entities?

I'd prefer we got rid of the gay sportsgirl jumper too, but that's what happens when you have an entire demographic (both supporters and administrators) that grows up watching premier league and thinks it's important to have two jumpers. IMHO both teams should wear the black with yellow sash unless there is a mandated 'clash' and we are forced to wear the other one.

A lot of princesses on here who can't take a harsh truth about the club for the last 35 years. For campaigners who talk so tough you sure get offended easily. I bet you all have all your participation awards proudly displayed on the mantle piece.

It's a bit of a laugh hearing you talk about participation medals when you are of the demographic that showers them around like confetti (you even admitted this once). Sorry to have to tell you this mate but the world does not revolve around you and your neuroses. You weren't even alive 35 years ago. And even being s**t for that long (which no-one is denying, I might add), we still have more flags than Geelong.

I mean seriously, what do you expect team songs to be? Wouldn't St Kilda - or your fave team the bullies - have awesome theme songs if they had honest lyrics. You remember the Bulldogs, they are the team you wanted to swap to last year.

You should be happy that we are in the finals mate.

Last edited:
I make a number of valid and factual points as to why the two clubs aren't the same entity.

You say "That's garbage" and provide no counter arguments to anything I say.

That about sums it up. :drunk:
Your points were neither valid nor factual. That's why I called them garbage. All you did was make assertions, backed by nothing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back