Competitions Vote for Levi for Mark of the Year

Remove this Banner Ad

See this is where I think mark of the year is often incorrectly judged. A pack mark like Casboult's is far more difficult than the Wingard one. Sure it doesn't look as flashy but Wingard had a clear path to run and jump and use the guys shoulders and was a 1 on 1 mark. He out marked one person and had the sit to do it. Levi had to out mark a number of players without a clear run at the ball.
I agree with you there. Pack marks are difficult but they also happen more often than the big leaping marks like Wingard & Walker. Its always been about flair over form & function, so i judge it accordingly.

It's always judged on flair over form and function because that's how everyone votes, doesn't make it necessarily correct.
I remember Jono Brown winning mark of the year for that cracker of a mark running back against the flight.
The Walker one not being mark of the year was a disgrace.

It's always judged on flair over form and function because that's how everyone votes, doesn't make it necessarily correct.
I remember Jono Brown winning mark of the year for that cracker of a mark running back against the flight.
The Walker one not being mark of the year was a disgrace.
I personally like the Elliott mark most of all. Such a leap coming in from the side was fantastic to watch. Each of the 3 marks are really good in their own ways, so i can't pick 1 that is a clear clear winner.

That Jon brown mark was just ridiculous though, not many compare to that, ever.

See this is where I think mark of the year is often incorrectly judged. A pack mark like Casboult's is far more difficult than the Wingard one. Sure it doesn't look as flashy but Wingard had a clear path to run and jump and use the guys shoulders and was a 1 on 1 mark. He out marked one person and had the sit to do it. Levi had to out mark a number of players without a clear run at the ball.
Didn't we argue the opposite when Krakouer got the nod over Walker? Just askin'.

The Krakouer mark wasn't really a pack mark though. Very similar to Walker's in that he got a run and jump at the ball with a knee in the back of his opponent. Walks jump was clean and the way he got propelled up even higher in the air when Carlisle (I think it was him) stood up was amazing.

Didn't we argue the opposite when Krakouer got the nod over Walker? Just askin'.
We argued that Krakouers was not as good as Walkers.
Krakouer won because it was a 'pack' mark.

This year they are saying that Levi won't win because it was a pack mark. Oh the irony

MOTY should always be the flashiest mark, thats why Wingard should win this year and why Walker should have won in 2011.

Sorry, I just can't agree. MOTY should be the best mark, not the flashiest. Otherwise they should call the award the flashiest mark of the year.

Well technically its not called Best Mark of the Year...

Yep, which once again goes back to my point that nearly every year the voters get it wrong.

I love how in the highlight video I saw of the 3 marks in contention this year, the first two had about 30 seconds of clip each and then there was Levi's chucked in at the end for about 10 seconds

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Should they take into count the people involved in the pack..... there are some big men under cas, I feel cas mark would be the more difficult out of the 3 but they tend to go with which looks best.

Really, it's all about the PHHOOOOAAAHHHH!!!! factor - the mark which for whatever reason really gets the crowd to their feet and has people reminiscing for years to come. ("I was at the game where player X took that huge screamer over player Y.")

Trying to be too technical about the "scoring" is missing the point. This is why not awarding it to Walker was a definite fail on the part of the judges in 2011 and why Wingard should probably win it this year.
You feel in your gut which is the most exciting mark, though it is a lot more exciting when it's one of your players who is taking it. :)

We argued that Krakouers was not as good as Walkers.
Krakouer won because it was a 'pack' mark.

This year they are saying that Levi won't win because it was a pack mark. Oh the irony

The only reason Krakouer won Mark of the Year over Andrew Walker was Kevin Bartlett allowing his anti Carlton shtick to override his role on the committee making that decision, and hoping that would translate to ratings on his pitiful radio show on SEN, a disgraceful decision.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back