Competitions Voting Thread - AFC Board Draft Game for season 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

Would you go R50's as well?

At one point I was sorting the player list for 'line breakers' by combining i50's and r50's to get a view of who was available for drafting.
No, I wouldn't. You don't want to reward the scabs who get cheapies across half back.

Perhaps add disposal efficiency by foot?

No, I wouldn't. You don't want to reward the scabs who get cheapies across half back.

Perhaps add disposal efficiency by foot?
ha - there is no rewarding. Just comparing objective scores to saw raw data.

I've got effective disposals in the works. Unfortunately I don't have the stats breakdown for by foot or hand.

Some stats for our Mids.

Starting with 'Inside Players'.

The stats below are ONLY for players drafted into your teams as MID. The 2 followers and the centre line.

More green up the top than red.. that's a reasonable indication votes aren't too much out of whack.
Looking at contested possessions, clearances, handballs, 1%'s, tackles it might be fair to say:
Spex possibly didn't deserve top billing..
AF14 (Baby Libba and S Selwood not rated highly enough perhaps..) and Bacon (Pendles/Iron Frontbum not given enough cred for 'inside'. Wallis/Cunninton/Wines underrated too possibly) probably deserved higher ratings.
Hendo clearly overrated.... but also possibly missing a bit of a contribution from Daisy... he'd hit these stats even being more an 'outside' player.

Now for analysis on the 'Outside'. Again - your 5 selected MIDS only included in these stats.

Looking at Uncontested Possies, Kicks, Bounces, i50's it woudl seem:
Top 2 are where they should be.
Carl possibly a fraction high, Roo2macca maybe should be ahead.
Kristof could arguably be higher - esp when you look at the effective disposals of his mids combined with how often they sent it inside 50. That's deadly stuff.
Stripple's outside abilities overrated - Grigg we all love but will need to come on STRONG to justify the voting I think. Wellingham also a bit unknown quantity with Eagles.. Redden/Danger - more inside. Bryce is good.. but good enough to carry the can for 7th best smooth movers in the comp. Possibly not.
Hendo again should be lower?
Deaneus may have a case to plead for a higher vote - but we all know stuff all about Daniel Jackson and besides Rockliff probably classify the rest as inside mids. Obviously their ability to spread, win uncontested footy and deliver it effectively have been underrated by us all.

Some stats for our Mids.

Starting with 'Inside Players'.

The stats below are ONLY for players drafted into your teams as MID. The 2 followers and the centre line.

More green up the top than red.. that's a reasonable indication votes aren't too much out of whack.
Looking at contested possessions, clearances, handballs, 1%'s, tackles it might be fair to say:
Spex possibly didn't deserve top billing..
AF14 (Baby Libba and S Selwood not rated highly enough perhaps..) and Bacon (Pendles/Iron Frontbum not given enough cred for 'inside'. Wallis/Cunninton/Wines underrated too possibly) probably deserved higher ratings.
Hendo clearly overrated.... but also possibly missing a bit of a contribution from Daisy... he'd hit these stats even being more an 'outside' player.

Lots of green in my line...

Midfield Depth. Wins you flags this does. So let's see what it tells us.

For this pic you'll see I've added an identical set of stats to the right. The contributions to these tallies come from all players NOT picked in your 5 starting mids, but are ranked as MID by AFL Rankings. i.e. Goddard, McVeigh, Stevie J, Boak, O'Keefe, Lewis etc.
Also includes your Interchange players that are ranked as MID by AFL rankings. i.e. Polec, The Toump, Horlin-Smith, Lyons etc.
Does NOT include your emergencies.

Top 3 are pretty much bang on. I would argue I should be higher.. but my mids seem to butcher it a bit more than most. They do head alot of those stat categories for the depth mids though....
Hendo again - abysmal, but finishing mid table. Only Savage/Rioli were considered in this category for him... both playing less than 15 games last year. But who else does he have to justify his midfield depth being scored higher than 7 others.... Edwards? He spent most the year forward. I reckon there is a target on your back hendo for your team to justify its finish by end of season...
Dragon also overrated -besides Dwyer/Bird/Hunter who is going to add to his depth? I guess most of thought Wingard/Dalhouse (reilly?) were in the mix this year. Both played mostly forward last year.
AF14 criminally underrated here - Parker, Cogniglio, Smith, Thomas, Masten all capable of pulling their weight and not given the time of day by most of us.

Deaneus may have a case to plead for a higher vote - but we all know stuff all about Daniel Jackson and besides Rockliff probably classify the rest as inside mids. Obviously their ability to spread, win uncontested footy and deliver it effectively have been underrated by us all.
Lots of green in my line...

Tagging.

Who stuffing knows - but here is the pic. Hank - feel free to add your views after reading that article.
I included the broader 'mids' for this category as many had their tagger on the bench. Or at least I did.

Overall Midfield Total sorting.

DiT probably produces the best with his 'as drafted' mids, but lacks the depth. Justifiably highly rated though.
Kristof's combination of effective disposals, i50's from this starting mids and then abundant depth is probably fair enough for top billing. Nit picking to split the difference really on stats alone.
Those towards the bottom lack either depth, or quality in their prime mids.
AF14 though.. picked some unfashionable and young names - but the proof is in the pudding - they have been quietly producing and should see him well placed later this year to throw it back in our faces that his mids out-performed many others and we were schmucks for underrating them.

I like to consider the holy trinity for mids - get it (CP), use it well (effective disposals), get it back (tackles) on this basis:
(for those following along at home I put these columns together)
my starting mids not cutting it, but the depth arguably makes up for it
AF14 again ripped off
Bacon8 also harshly dealt with arguably.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Got away with midfield depth. Taggers went very late in the draft, all you need is to draft a quality tagger and it puts you a point up. Steven probably carried my midfield, Cotchin did sfa last year whereas pretty much everyone had a midfielder with an elite 2013 with first or second picks.

Like I said... You're just proving that my team had a bad 2013, missed a lot of games, and was overall a lot worse than what they would normally.
That's no surprise, otherwise my team wouldn't have been possible, nearly every one of my players would have gone substantially earlier if they did have a good year (like they did in 2012, or are expected to in 2014).
I'm not even remotely surprised I'm doing this bad, stat wise from 2013.
Stats or no stats, you can't tell me Watson, Judd, Scully, Daisy, Shiels, Rioli, Goodes, Savage, Edwards, isn't a bloody fantastic midfield?

Thanks Alle, thought I was better than a 12.7 :) 3rd most effective users of the ball, 2nd most tackles. 2nd most in clearance, 2nd most in centre clearance.

Not finishing my writeup probably hurt me. Cunnington had a massive end to the year last year.

Like I said... You're just proving that my team had a bad 2013, missed a lot of games, and was overall a lot worse than what they would normally.
That's no surprise, otherwise my team wouldn't have been possible, nearly every one of my players would have gone substantially earlier if they did have a good year (like they did in 2012, or are expected to in 2014).
I'm not even remotely surprised I'm doing this bad, stat wise from 2013.
Stats or no stats, you can't tell me Watson, Judd, Scully, Daisy, Shiels, Rioli, Goodes, Savage, Edwards, isn't a bloody fantastic midfield?
All up and running, you're right. Goodes also not a factor in these stats at all btw.

Watson/Judd - Thompson/Hayes (you'd win by a factor of a year or two)
Scully - O'meara... I'd take Jaegar boy for this year but its a close call
Daisy - Whitfield, clearly Daisy if he plays. If he plays.
Shiels - McVeigh - McVeigh in spades
Rioli - Boak - for a mid... Boak for me thanks. But appreciate others woudl go with Rioli.
Goodes - Zorko. At his peak clearly Goodes. He won't be at that level again, and will play mostly forward you'd think. Not sure I'd call him a mid for this season.
Savage/Edwards - Lester/Curnow/Howlett/Melksham weight of numbers gives it to my mids IMO.

So sure, I think you've got some good mids. I just think the stats show what is the reality - you're guys will miss games and you don't have enough rotations to cover it.

Looking forward to a fiery end of season bump from you ;)

PS I'm a tad concerned about Hayes and Thommo punching out 30+ games combined. Will make or break my midfield. But I did go for cover.

The thing I don't like about stats analysis, is that someone gets them.

It doesn't matter how bad teams are or how bad their players are, someone gets the clearance. The ball goes to someone else. There are hundreds of possessions every game plus all their offshoot stats no matter what.

Some mid-range mid will always lose out standing next to Sam Mitchell but that doesn't prevent them racking it up in the 98% of the season that they aren't opposed to Sam Mitchell.

The thing I don't like about stats analysis, is that someone gets them.

It doesn't matter how bad teams are or how bad their players are, someone gets the clearance. The ball goes to someone else. There are hundreds of possessions every game plus all their offshoot stats no matter what.

Some mid-range mid will always lose out standing next to Sam Mitchell but that doesn't prevent them racking it up in the 98% of the season that they aren't opposed to Sam Mitchell.
That's fair enough. Grab Sam Mitchell (or equivalent) instead :)

Thanks Alle, thought I was better than a 12.7 :) 3rd most effective users of the ball, 2nd most tackles. 2nd most in clearance, 2nd most in centre clearance.

Not finishing my writeup probably hurt me. Cunnington had a massive end to the year last year.

You and me both brother. There's a lot of green in my stat line, but I came second last? Under-rated players, we'll see by the end of the year.

Okay onto Rucks.

Two groups of the same stats again. I've thrown in a smattering of things that might reflect 'around the ground' contributions from Rucks.
The first group is your Drafted First Ruck only. The second group is every other player in your squad classified by AFL rankings as a 'RUCK'.

Freddy obviously struggling due to missed games of injury for Sandi. Can he play 18+ games this year? The good news for Freddy is obviously his backups provide more hitouts than any other backups.....
Hendo in a similar boat with Nic Nat.
Footypie should arguably have been higher, but I guess it was easy to underrate Giles' efforts.
The rest is pretty much spot on.

Looking at the work of ruckmen around the groud now.

Minson not taking alot of grabs probably hurts Bacon here. His tackles, clearance and effective disposal starts though should arguably see him higher. Dominant in and around the Packs big will (on top of having the highest hit outs I might add!)
Hendo/Freddy - suffering from injuries in 2013 as above.
Hank/AF14 - could mount strong cases for their work horses not getting enough cred for their work around the ground, esp up forward. I'm a huge fan of both Pyke/Bellchambers. Pyke was going to be my Ruck until I got infatuated with what Brody Grundy might do this year (still my worst draft I think). Leads the contested marks here, 2nd in goals (to Bellchambers), second in makrs overall, right up there with effective disposals.

Ruck Cover.

Remember 'All the other Rucks' is the players who were not picked as your 1st Ruck, but are classifed as 'RUCK' by AFL Ranking data.

Dragon obviously harshly dealt with here. Having said that, he picked Hale as one of his KPF, so fair enough to penalise him a little.. I think possibly too much though. Blicavs also no slouch as a 2nd ruck with his point of difference.
My score's justify Kristof's opinion of my ruck cover. yay... :p
Danger in Texas a bit high.. maybe. Again though, Jamar had injury issues this past year. Is he past them? (I honestly have NO idea).

Final view of Ruck scores overall

Allowing for the Freddy/Hendo injury issues before - looks about right.
(Faith might get a game or 2 from Hamish this season.. who knows. I wouldn't bet on it)
Roo2macca might get a few more games from Clarke this season - possibly even Gawn.
I'm leaning towards the rest being about right bar Bacon8. Minson deserves more credit for both tapwork and around the ground - West may also break out for more games at the Lions its hard to say.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back