WAexit? what would the Eagles and Dockers do?

Remove this Banner Ad

I understand that the AFL would welcome them in a heartbeat.

Teams would have to go through customs and have a visa or waiver in order to travel there, same for the reverse. WA would have pay to set all of that up which is one of the many many reasons this will never happen (the main one being that WA could in no way defend its own borders).

Funds that currently flow between the AFL and those clubs would be subject to two different tax regimes and player trades would involve emigration. The AFL would also have to ensure all contracts etc were compliant for the laws of two countries. All of this costs time and money and it would never happen anyway.

Teams would have to go through customs and have a visa or waiver in order to travel there, same for the reverse. WA would have pay to set all of that up which is one of the many many reasons this will never happen (the main one being that WA could in no way defend its own borders).

Funds that currently flow between the AFL and those clubs would be subject to two different tax regimes and player trades would involve emigration. The AFL would also have to ensure all contracts etc were compliant for the laws of two countries. All of this costs time and money and it would never happen anyway.

If you don't think the AFL would engage in rentseeking behavior at both ends, I don't know what to tell you. If we can't have mandatory pre-commitment in pokies rooms because of Rugby clubs, you can guarantee there will be exemptions galore for cashed up WA teams to prop up the AFL.

If you don't think the AFL would engage in rentseeking behavior at both ends, I don't know what to tell you. If we can't have mandatory pre-commitment in pokies rooms because of Rugby clubs, you can guarantee there will be exemptions galore for cashed up WA teams to prop up the AFL.

I did not state that. If you are going to make things up I am not going to discuss this further with you.

I'd want reparations for basically propping the joint up for the first 90 years of Federation.

The ARL seem to manage ok with NZ being in their league so what would be different with the AFL.

on covid border lockdown, i have zero issue with any state locking down their borders. best way to protect their citizens

wa going alone is a separate issue, but your treatment of the rest of australia, and the sh*t we are copping from everyone has me over this experiment 100%. would vote tomorrow to kill federation and go to six independent nations

then you can have your wafl, as many games in perth as you want, no bitching about gst, and we wont care anymore
Run for Prime Minister. You've got my vote.

FWIW i also dont think it will happen.

But if we get close to season 2021, and effectively WA still has the other states on hold, those teams will be relocating temporarily

We could break out glenferrie oval for one of them, and windy hill for the other

(hopefully wont hppen)
Maoist Mark isn't going to let go of the reigns anytime soon it seems.

Is trying to introduce mandatory tracing again.

Absolute power corruptds absolutely and Maoist Mark has been absolutely corrupted

The ARL seem to manage ok with NZ being in their league so what would be different with the AFL.

Because it will never happen for a million reasons. But assuming for the sake of it that this happened and WA seceded, WA would have to set all of that stuff up (ie all the structure to govern an independent country) which would take lots of money and going by the speed WA does things at least 10 years.

In those 10 years refugees from all over the world would sail to the one country in the world that was completely unable to defend or secure its own borders.........which would be a disaster and would mean the only way the Men Of The West (the country of MOTWA) could secure their own borders would be to make taxes cripplingly high which would mean the ex AFL clubs would become tiny and not worth having in a national league.

This one reason why Western Australians with functioning brains (the 75%) don't support the idea.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm more reluctant to predict with certainty these days. if the mining giants got behind it, who knows?
you mean bhp who is based in melbourne and rio who is based in brisbane?

not to mention if WAexit happened then wa would have a new currency which would go through the roof compared to the aud due to all the mining exports and this would massively reduce those mining companies profits.

In the 1890's depression in the Eastern states gold was discovered at Coolgardie and Kalgoorlie thousands of mainly Victorian gold miners with SA copper miners and even Broken Hill moved to WA to try their luck, sending back money to the East, in fact many small towns around the wheat belt can trace the founding of their town and community to the Eastern states, at one stage they caught a ship got off at Albany and walked up to Kal with a wheel barrow etc.

So even 130 years ago, the locals were too lazy to do the hard work, much like now. Why doesn't that surprise me?

Are you that salty over having to endure another Covid lockdown in your state, caused by your own mismanagement, that you wish harm upon yourselves? It is a situation where everybody loses.

The number of people who follow AFL in Australia isn't that great, and WA makes up a large chunk of that being a footy state. Cut the WA teams out of the comp and you'll lose a lot of followers. They won't just switch to supporting a different team, they'll just switch off out of spite. So down goes revenue, and TV rights and advertising and all the rest of it. The AFL will lose money out of it, and won't be able to keep funding expansion teams nor bailing out the struggling Melbourne clubs. Clubs will fold, you'll be back to being the an expanded VFL, while Rugby league goes on to claim the No. 1 spot permanently.

Besides which, the Morrison government has a majority of 2, with 11 Liberal Party seats held in WA. Not likely to vote WA out of the Federation and hand over the government to the ALP.

haha, you lot think too much of yourselves. If WA left and the Eagles and Freo left, life will continue just fine without you / them. Eagles and Freo could play themselves weekly at the shiny stadium. Just like apartheid era South Africa, maybe business interests over east could arrange rebel tours every few years. Instead of going to Qld or NSW for a superannuation payment, players on the brink of retirement or who can't get a regular seniors gig could go to WA for a series of games.

Richmond supporter who is a self important utensil, say it aint so. Let's see if I have it right.

- SA is at the end of the Murray Darling system. It gets devastated by the amount taken out upstream. SA has lobbied for a century to stop w***ers from upstream ******* the system up the arse. Eastern States refuse, then agree and just ignore the rules and say 'lols' and say 'SA has water that tastes like piss' while pissing in our water.
- You take our Grand Prix, run it into the ground so it doesn't turn a profit and then run annual 'why do we even have a grand prix, it doesn't make any money, lets just pinch the tour down under' articles with some mayor or minister quoted in it (almost verbatim statement as though you can just snap your fingers)'
- When we got the AWD contract, 'this is a farce, there is no way they put in a better bid' (without any analysis whatsoever, just you expected it to be handed to you while we had been investing at all levels for 20 years in our defence industry).
- AFL - interstate teams literally bail out your bankrupt league and we get rewarded with a Victorian centric league and anytime clear and obvious biases are pointed out we are told 'you're lucky we even let you in OUR league.'
- You utensils rag on SA for being backward despite being the most progressive state by a considerable margin - you name a minority group, we stopped treating them like sh*t before it was cool.
- You utensils rag on SA for 'having nothing to do' while we have best in world wineries, best in world coffee, amazing artisan food and overall foodie culture. Or we can go to Melbourne and eat and drink overpriced corporatized horseshit and walk around an old run down city that smells of piss. What you really mean by 'nothing to do' is there are not 76346464646 bars and clubs to go and get pissed at which mentally competent people grew out of at 23.

Then you completely and utterly sh*t the bed, because you utensils are too dumb to follow basic instructions, and threaten the safety of the rest of the country and 5 former premiers put a joint statement out to the effect of 'I don't understand why everyone hates us, everyone is being nasty to us'.

So no, it's not us looking for special treatment is it. It's a bunch of self important utensils who looked down on everyone and sneered at them getting their comeuppance.

Nice rant, you were wrong in your first paragraph, it's Qld and NSW that are raping the system, Vic and SA are much more regulated and careful, they have to be because of what the other two are doing. We go the sloppy leftovers.

Adelaide and Port didn't bail out anyone.

Your rant seems to be centred on Melbourne. Melbourne is a s**t hole and you're a flog with a massive chip on your shoulder.

Amazing how most other states get on, but NSW and Vic hate everyone and thing its everyone who are the problem. And I will at least give NSW the credit for not pretending to be something they're not. They carry on like haughty Frenchman and they know it. Melbourne on the other hand ...

haha, go and live in WA for awhile, believe me, SA isn't immune from their hatred.

Or a Southerner in Q, a Mexican in Sydney .....

I've lived WA, QLD, NSW ACT and Vic. The shortest period in any of them was 3 years in Qld.

WA are miles in front of QLD with the ACT being next cab of the rank.

Melbourne and Sydney have always had their rivalry but WA v the rest of the country and QLD v Southerners are on another level, to a lesser extent is ACT V everyone, just ACT are insignificant.

I've lived WA, QLD, NSW ACT and Vic. The shortest period in any of them was 3 years in Qld.

WA are miles in front of QLD with the ACT being next cab of the rank.

Melbourne and Sydney have always had their rivalry but WA v the rest of the country and QLD v Southerners are on another level, to a lesser extent is ACT V everyone, just ACT are insignificant.

Similar experience here bar the ACT, & as a WA boy you are dead right.

haha, you lot think too much of yourselves. If WA left and the Eagles and Freo left, life will continue just fine without you / them. Eagles and Freo could play themselves weekly at the shiny stadium. Just like apartheid era South Africa, maybe business interests over east could arrange rebel tours every few years. Instead of going to Qld or NSW for a superannuation payment, players on the brink of retirement or who can't get a regular seniors gig could go to WA for a series of games.

Who are you to decide what is too much, or too little, or just the right amount amount that any other state should feel about themselves? State parochialism is a feature of Australian culture, each state sees themselves differently to how every other state sees them. It says more about you that feel threatened by this.

Who are you to decide what is too much, or too little, or just the right amount amount that any other state should feel about themselves? State parochialism is a feature of Australian culture, each state sees themselves differently to how every other state sees them. It says more about you that feel threatened by this.

Put your tongue in your cheek & reconsider .....

I'm not deciding anything, I'm just telling you my observations / experiences from the past 33 years, including 10 of them living in WA.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back