WAFL Stats

Remove this Banner Ad

All of these are unproveables. People forget that WP came last from 1990-92, but even then had reasonable win-loss records and percentages. They had three bad years - but so did Subiaco and Swan Districts in the 1970s and no-one suggested moving either of those clubs back then. Clubs all go through a natural cycle of rise-and-fall-and rise-again. WP made finals from 1974-78, came third in 1982 and fourth in 1985. So overall the club was a reasonably strong performer from 1975-86 (or at worst we could call them an average performer). Flags could have been won at Leedy after 1993 - it is impossible to disprove that unless we find an alternative universe where West Perth never moved! (I would move to that universe if I could.)

Also, why not take a zone in the far-north but stay at Leedy as Perth Demons have done by keeping their home-ground in the extreme northern corner of their zone?

Alternatively, we can say that the club won premierships but sold its soul, a most unfortunate predicament.

Subiaco Scarborough was looked at in the early 60s (there is a photo somewhere of Subi playing coach 'Spud Slater' in the proposed jumper) . Subi would have moved to a developed Abbett Park.
Its called progress, like the national comp.

Subiaco Scarborough was looked at in the early 60s (there is a photo somewhere of Subi playing coach 'Spud Slater' in the proposed jumper) . Subi would have moved to a developed Abbett Park.
Its called progress, like the national comp.

I don't see the move to Joondy as progress. Remember how in the early-90s there was talk of every club moving to the outer-suburbs and only West Perth actually did? Yes, I still have a strong attachment to Leedy Oval, mostly due to wonderful teenage and childhood memories. Sorry if I have said this to you before on previous posts, but I don't mind your mob moving to Leedy as it is so close to your traditional heartland. And your social club stand is tasteful (I mean that non-sarcastically) and fits in well with the existing buildings. But having the EPFC located there just seems wrong.

I just don't like Arena Joondalup, any traditional football ground I could have accepted, such as Kingsway Reserve or the ground Osborne Park used in the Sunday Football League.

That proposed Subi-Scarbourough merger in the 1960s sounds like it would have made sense at the time and been a good move logically without destroying any grand traditions or identity. I like to imagine alternative histories.

You remind me of someone, initials DW - he was my boss at the university back in the mid-1990s, great guy and hardcore Subiaco. I think he has retired by now, must be getting on for 70.

Of the eight 'traditional' WAFL clubs - Claremont, Subiaco, East Fremantle, South Fremantle, West Perth, East Perth, Perth and Swan Districts - there are still three grand final combinations yet to happen as follows:

Swan Districts vs. West Perth
Swan Districts vs. Perth
Claremont vs. Perth

These combinations while still possible this year are extremely unlikely, but what is the closest we have come to seeing a WAFL Grand Final between these clubs?

Swans & West Perth - West Perth and Swans played the second semi final in 1975, the Falcons winning by 80-points. Swans did not bounce back for another crack at West Perth in the premiership decider, and lost the Preliminary Final to South Fremantle. In hindsight, the black and whites might have been happier not making the 1975 Grand Final, with West Perth beating South by 104-points. In 1982 Claremont met West Perth in the preliminary final for a Grand Final appearance against Swan Districts, but the Tigers won comfortably. West Perth and Swans were first & second in 1993, but third placed Claremont were premiership favorites (much like their Tiger counterparts Richmond in 1980) and the Tigers easily accounted for all opposition including the Swans and Falcons in winning the flag. Since then West Perth and Swans have met in several finals, but never had a realistic chance of a Grand Final.

Swans & Perth - Although these Eastern suburbs teams have a big rivalry, they have rarely encountered each other in finals matches. The closest they got to a GF appearance was in 1963 when they ended up meeting in the Preliminary Final after the minor premier Demons exited the finals in straight sets. Swan Districts and Perth last played a final - the first semi final - in 1991. There has never been a case of one of these teams playing a preliminary final where a GF appearance against the other would have been the outcome if they had won.

Claremont & Perth - Finals matches between the Tigers and Demons have been nearly as rare as September encounters between their AFL counterparts Melbourne and Richmond. They did contest preliminary finals in 1964 and 1972 - Claremont winning both - but like with Swans and Perth, there has never really been a direct chance for them to play in a Grand Final.

Of the eight 'traditional' WAFL clubs - Claremont, Subiaco, East Fremantle, South Fremantle, West Perth, East Perth, Perth and Swan Districts - there are still three grand final combinations yet to happen as follows:

Swan Districts vs. West Perth
Swan Districts vs. Perth
Claremont vs. Perth

These combinations while still possible this year are extremely unlikely, but what is the closest we have come to seeing a WAFL Grand Final between these clubs?

Swans & West Perth - West Perth and Swans played the second semi final in 1975, the Falcons winning by 80-points. Swans did not bounce back for another crack at West Perth in the premiership decider, and lost the Preliminary Final to South Fremantle. In hindsight, the black and whites might have been happier not making the 1975 Grand Final, with West Perth beating South by 104-points. In 1982 Claremont met West Perth in the preliminary final for a Grand Final appearance against Swan Districts, but the Tigers won comfortably. West Perth and Swans were first & second in 1993, but third placed Claremont were premiership favorites (much like their Tiger counterparts Richmond in 1980) and the Tigers easily accounted for all opposition including the Swans and Falcons in winning the flag. Since then West Perth and Swans have met in several finals, but never had a realistic chance of a Grand Final.

Swans & Perth - Although these Eastern suburbs teams have a big rivalry, they have rarely encountered each other in finals matches. The closest they got to a GF appearance was in 1963 when they ended up meeting in the Preliminary Final after the minor premier Demons exited the finals in straight sets. Swan Districts and Perth last played a final - the first semi final - in 1991. There has never been a case of one of these teams playing a preliminary final where a GF appearance against the other would have been the outcome if they had won.

Claremont & Perth - Finals matches between the Tigers and Demons have been nearly as rare as September encounters between their AFL counterparts Melbourne and Richmond. They did contest preliminary finals in 1964 and 1972 - Claremont winning both - but like with Swans and Perth, there has never really been a direct chance for them to play in a Grand Final.

What most people don't know is that West Perth had a good record against Swans in Swans' three premiership seasons 1982-84 - West Perth won five out of the nine home-and-away games.

West Perth were abysmal in the 1982 preliminary final against Claremont. I was at the game - Warren Ralph kicked a huge bag of goals against an outclassed Ray Holden. But if West Perth had played Swans in the grand final, a West Perth win would have been very possible.

Here's some facts from the round 14 games which included a couple thrillers, one of the closest games in WAFL history and one of the longest active win streaks continued.

Subiaco Football Club Inc. v Perth Football Club
Subiaco's 2400th WAFL game
Subiaco extend their winning streak against Perth to 10 (Best: 15 from 2005-2010)
Subiaco extend their winning streak against Perth at Leederville Oval to 8 (best: 9 from 1995-2011)
Subiaco avoided three straight losses which would've been the first time since 2013

East Fremantle Football Club v Peel Thunder
Harry Taylor played his first WAFL game in 5062, a new WAFL record
Peel Thunder ended their 5 game losing streak
Ben Howlett: 100the WAFL game - becomes 12th Thunder player to play 100 games for the club
Harry Taylor, Jarrad Jansen: 50th WAFL game

West Perth Football Club v East Perth Football Club Inc
West Perth extend win streak against East Perth to 4, the longest such streak by any team in a Perth derby since the Falcons won 4 in a row in 2008-2009
West Perth are the best 1st qtr team in 2021 with a 9-2 record
The head to head record between these team is now Played: 351, WP: 172, EP: 173 with 6 draws

Swan Districts Football Club v West Coast Eagles
Swans remain the only team West Coast have not defeated. Swan lead head to head 4-0
Swans won for the 19th time when they lost 3 quarters and won just one - last time: round 17, 2019 vs West Coast
West Coast lost for the 2nd time when winning 3 quarters and losing 1 quarter. Other time vs Swans in round 17, 2019
Swans won for the 104th time when having fewer scoring shots, and for the 3rd time in 2021. Last time: vs Peel Thunder in round 9, 2021
West Coast lost for the 3rd time when having more scoring shots, and twice against Swans, the other times vs Swans in round 7, 2019 and against Claremont in 1SF, 2019

South Fremantle Football Club v Claremont Football Club
This is only the 3rd game in WAFL history where the margins at the end of each quarter have been 2 points or less. If we extend this to 3 points or less, there have been only 9 occasions, including the previous time these two teams met at Fremantle Oval, the 2020 Grand Final.
The total of the absolute margins at the end of all four quarters of 6 points (2,2,1,1) is the equal 3rd smallest in WAFL history, with Perth v EF in 1926 (1,2,0,1 total of 4 points) and Subiaco v Swans in 1955 (2,1,1,1 total 5 points) the only closer. The absolute margins in the 2020 GF were 0,3,2,3 ( Total 8 )
South Fremantle won with fewer scoring shots (9) for the 129th time and for the 3rd time in 2021. Last time: vs Perth in round 12. It's the equal 19th biggest difference in WAFL history and the 4th biggest difference for a South Fremantle win.

Hopefully we'll see Ian Richardson and Tim Geappen reach at least 500 goals by the time their careers are finished.

Gonna bump this.

Richardson ended up on 425 league goals and Geappen, 370.

Almost there for Ian.

Does anyone know of any WAFL players who have played senior football at all three of the Perth teams - Perth, West Perth and East Perth?

I know of players who have played at two out of the three, but can't name any who played at the Demons, Falcons and Royals in their career.

There have been a small number of players to have played for the three active Perth clubs…

Alexander FISHER
West Perth 8 games in 1906
Perth 15 games in 1910
East Perth 2 games in 1911

Walter (Gus) GIESE
Perth 52 games in 1917-20
East Perth 38 games in 1921-23
West Perth 38 games in 1924-27

Joseph (Joe) GRIFFIN
West Perth 32 games in 1896-99
Perth 3 games in 1900
East Perth 5 games in 1908

James KENNEDY
West Perth 29 games in 1902-03
Perth 8 games in 1904
East Perth 19 games in 1907-08

Malcolm (Mal) WILLIAMS
West Perth 56 games in 1988-90
East Perth 3 games in 1991
Perth 20 games in 1993-95
Also, Subiaco 35 games in 1991-1992

There have been a small number of players to have played for the three active Perth clubs…

Alexander FISHER
West Perth 8 games in 1906
Perth 15 games in 1910
East Perth 2 games in 1911

Walter (Gus) GIESE
Perth 52 games in 1917-20
East Perth 38 games in 1921-23
West Perth 38 games in 1924-27

Joseph (Joe) GRIFFIN
West Perth 32 games in 1896-99
Perth 3 games in 1900
East Perth 5 games in 1908

James KENNEDY
West Perth 29 games in 1902-03
Perth 8 games in 1904
East Perth 19 games in 1907-08

Malcolm (Mal) WILLIAMS
West Perth 56 games in 1988-90
East Perth 3 games in 1991
Perth 20 games in 1993-95
Also, Subiaco 35 games in 1991-1992

Thanks WAFL Footy Facts, this is amazing work.

With regards to Malcolm Williams, the only Perth, West Perth and East Perth player post World War II, he had a most extraordinary career. He won West Perth's best and fairest award in 1989, playing for the Falcons from 1988-1990. He then transferred to East Perth for 1991 but transferred to Subiaco after just 3 games for the Royals, before transferring to Subiaco mid-season. He was a member of the Lions 1991 Grand Final team against Claremont, and one of Subiaco's better players in a disappointing Grand Final for the club, the Tigers thrashing the Lions by 77-points in a very one-sided Grand Final that was all but over 10 minutes into the first term. After another season at Subiaco in 1992, Williams transferred to fourth club Perth in 1993, and was a regular player for the Demons in 1993 and 1994 (unfortunately Perth finished last both years) but only 1 game for Perth in his last year 1995.

Interestingly, two members of Subiaco's 1991 Grand Final team were not at the club at the start of the year. Besides Williams, John Georgiadis started the season in the AFL with Footscray, but left the Bulldogs mid-season and moved back to Perth, resuming with the Lions.

It's also extraordinary for a player to transfer to a new club, only to transfer away to another club mid-season as was the case with Williams going from West Perth to East Perth and then on to Subiaco. In the AFL there's been a number of cases of players changing clubs and staying only one season at their new home before moving on again to a third team at season's end; but never one to transfer away to a third club in the same competition mid-season.

However there was an even more extraordinary WAFL 'transfer' in 1991, when East Fremantle ruckman Lance Durack was transferred to Swan Districts early in the season. However, after playing no senior games for Swans, Durack then transferred back to the Sharks mid-year.

I must admit EB I have no recollection whatsoever of Lance Durack ever coming to or attempting to come to Swans in 1991???
We already had a plethora of big men/key positions at the club at that time- Travis Edmonds, Jason Ball, Stephen O'Reilly, Steven Handley, Rod O'Neill, Ken Bell, Brent Hutton, Kevin Caton, Shaun Davey, Murray Rance, Todd Hawes, Steve Eaton, Troy Ugle etc im not sure where he would have played?
We also had some young upcoming bigs in Scott Cummings, Ron Skender, John Laurito etc who played in our Colts flag that year who would play senior footy the next season.

Thanks WAFL Footy Facts, this is amazing work.

With regards to Malcolm Williams, the only Perth, West Perth and East Perth player post World War II, he had a most extraordinary career. He won West Perth's best and fairest award in 1989, playing for the Falcons from 1988-1990. He then transferred to East Perth for 1991 but transferred to Subiaco after just 3 games for the Royals, before transferring to Subiaco mid-season. He was a member of the Lions 1991 Grand Final team against Claremont, and one of Subiaco's better players in a disappointing Grand Final for the club, the Tigers thrashing the Lions by 77-points in a very one-sided Grand Final that was all but over 10 minutes into the first term. After another season at Subiaco in 1992, Williams transferred to fourth club Perth in 1993, and was a regular player for the Demons in 1993 and 1994 (unfortunately Perth finished last both years) but only 1 game for Perth in his last year 1995.

Interestingly, two members of Subiaco's 1991 Grand Final team were not at the club at the start of the year. Besides Williams, John Georgiadis started the season in the AFL with Footscray, but left the Bulldogs mid-season and moved back to Perth, resuming with the Lions.

It's also extraordinary for a player to transfer to a new club, only to transfer away to another club mid-season as was the case with Williams going from West Perth to East Perth and then on to Subiaco. In the AFL there's been a number of cases of players changing clubs and staying only one season at their new home before moving on again to a third team at season's end; but never one to transfer away to a third club in the same competition mid-season.

However there was an even more extraordinary WAFL 'transfer' in 1991, when East Fremantle ruckman Lance Durack was transferred to Swan Districts early in the season. However, after playing no senior games for Swans, Durack then transferred back to the Sharks mid-year.

I was the statistician for the league and reserves in 1991, and at no time was Lance Durack ever mention by the coach, coaching staff, or even mentioned in the club magazine, The Fighting Swan. Durack played 12 games in a row for East Fremantle from round three to fourteen for East Fremantle in 1991, so he did definitely not return mid season.

I was the statistician for the league and reserves in 1991, and at no time was Lance Durack ever mention by the coach, coaching staff, or even mentioned in the club magazine, The Fighting Swan. Durack played 12 games in a row for East Fremantle from round three to fourteen for East Fremantle in 1991, so he did definitely not return mid season.
I got this from the Wikipedia page on the 1991 WAFL season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Been sometime since i posted a webpage update here - so here’s an extract from my ‘Site Updates” page for the additions I made to my site in 2023, with more to come in 2024…

1 January 2024​

All Teams - Margins: Added page which lists the records for the biggest winning margins in chronological order.

All Teams > Margins > Biggest Winning Margins (Chronological Order)

1 January 2024​

All Teams - Scores: Added page which lists the records for the highest scores in chronological order.

All Teams > Scores > Highest Scores (Chronological Order)

31 December 2023​

Game Stats: Added a new tab on the Game Stats pages 'Game Notes'. This tab will include league and team records acheived in the game and match reports mainly from Trove and Football Budgets. Where the Game Notes tab is poplulated a comment "See Game Notes" will appear under the result. Only a very small number of games have information in this tab at the moment, but I will expand the games covered over time. Note: The tabs in the Gaem Stats page are not able to be viewed on a mobile phone unless viewed in landscape mode.

Example: West Perth v Rovers in Round 12, 1898

28 December 2023​

Players: All players for all teams added for the 1940, 1941 and 1942 seasons. WAFLFootyFacts now has the full team lists for every WAFL game played since 1947 and for Claremont (1926) and Swan Districts (1934) since inception, along with the 1906 season and from 1926 up to and including 1942!!

Player Records for 1942

13 November 2023​

Streaks & Sequences: Expanded the all teams streaks page to display bigger range of streaks and more results for each type of streak.

All Teams > Streaks & Sequences

8 November 2023​

Players: All players for all teams added for the 1939 season. WAFLFootyFacts now has the full team lists for every WAFL game played since 1947 and for Claremont (1926) and Swan Districts (1934) since inception, along with the 1906 season and from 1926 up to and including 1939!!

Player Records for 1939

6 November 2023​

Game stats: Added jumper numbers for 2000-2004 seasons. Also added player stats for 2001 - 2004 from the stats listed in the Football Budget which had the top 10 or so players from each team from the previous round. Not all games, or teams provided stats for all games played.

Example of new data added in 2002 2002 Player Statistics

Correction: Corrected the East Fremantle team list for round 14, 2005 which had included three players, Harry Taylor, James Davies and Shane Thorne, who did not play in the game. Added Brett Peake, David Dwyer and Nic Chidgzey who did play. Original team list taken from WAFL website which has been confirmed by Steve Davies and Greg Wardell-Johnson as being incorrect.

East Fremantle v West Perth, round 14, 2005

26 October 2023​

Players: Added page to the player records section which lists the most players to play in a game with the same surname.

Most Players With Same Surname (Both Teams)

3 October 2023​

Teams: Page added to the Teams pages displaying all players by season in a grid format, to go along with the list view already availble. The data displays the games played by each player for the selected team per round for the selected season including WAFL and other games such as national league games and the number of goals the player scored in the game.

Example for Claremont Teams > Claremont > Player Statistics > All Players - By Season - Grid View

12 September 2023​

Players: An additional three pages added to the Player > Sandover Medal page. You can now view the total votes for each team by season, along with the most votes by a team in a single season fof both the 5-4-3-2-1 and 3-2-1 counts.

Players > Medals > Sandover Medal

6 August 2023​

Ladders: Page added to display how many teams have held each ladder position during a season (since 1898).

Ladders > Number of Teams That Have Held Ladder Positions in a Season

26 July 2023​

Player Records: Page added to player records section which lists active players (players that have played at least one game in current season) win loss records against each opponent.

Player Records > All Active Players - Win Loss Records

23 July 2023​

Season Records All Seasons > Margins: Added tables displaying the absolute margins by teams and overall for each season.

See example of 1915 season Seasons > All Seasons > Absolute Margins Table By Team

See example of 1915 season Seasons > All Seasons > Overall Margins Table By Season

3 July 2023​

Seasons: Tables displaying the most number of times a team has won and lost all four quarters of a game.

Seasons > All Seasons > Won All Four Quarters

Seasons > All Seasons > Lost All Four Quarters

27 June 2023​

Ladders > Points: Tables for points for, against and differential by round and number of games played added to the Ladders section.

Ladders > Points

26 June 2023​

Most Individual Goal Kickers For a Team in a Game: Added the most individual goal kickers For a team in a Game to the individual game team stats page.

Teams > All Teams > Individual Game Team Stats

21 May 2023​

Team Records > Margins: Added winning and losing margin charts on the All Teams margin records page.

Teams > All Teams > Margin Records > Table

20 May 2023​

Season Records > Margins: Added winning and losing margin charts and included listings of games resulted by a forfeit or protest on the margin records page for each season.

See example of 1915 season Seasons > 1915 > Margin Records

18 May 2023​

Player Records: Added new pages, which display the players who have won and lost the most consecutive games.

Most Consecutive Wins: Player Records > Most Consecutive Wins

Most Consecutive Losses: Player Records > Most Consecutive Losses

11 May 2023​

All Seasons: Added new pages, which display in a table the winning and losing margins for each team for each season within 10 point ranges, 1-9 points up to 90-99 points and 100 points or more.

Winning Margins: All Seasons > Records > Winning Margins Table

Losing Margins: All Seasons > Records > Losing Margins Table

9 May 2023​

Player Details > Season Summary: Extending what I added in November 2022, I've now indicated if the player was listed by West Coast or Fremantle during the season in the Season Summary tab in the Player Details page.

Example: Hugh Dixon

1 May 2023​

Ladders > Percentages: Added a page to show the most number of teams on the ladder after a round of fixtures with a percentage of 100 or more, and another with the most teams on the ladder with a percentage below 100.

Percentages over 100

Percentages under 100

22 March 2023​

Venues > Player Career Records: Added the list of the players to have played in the most wins and losses at each venue.

Eg: Claremont Oval

25 February 2023​

Scores & Results: Corrected the order that games appear on the season scores and results pages for 1939, 1946 and 1951. This was required as games where played out of sequence from their allocated round number due to teams travelling over east thorughout the seasons, meaning games needed to be rescheduled to accomodate their travels. These were games intially missed in my update on 15 August 2022.

Season Scores and Results for 1946

20 February 2023​

Players: All players for all teams added for the 1938 season. WAFLFootyFacts now has the full team lists for every WAFL game played since 1947 and for Claremont (1926) and Swan Districts (1934) since inception, along with the 1906 season and from 1926 up to and including 1938!!

Player Records for 1938

15 January 2023​

Players: All players for all teams added for the 1929 and 1930 seasons. WAFLFootyFacts now has the full team lists for every WAFL game played since 1947 and for Claremont (1926) and Swan Districts (1934) since inception, along with the 1906 season and from 1926 up to and including 1937!!

Player Records for 1929

Player Records for 1930

Remove this Banner Ad

Back