Remove this Banner Ad

Jesse Custer

Cancelled
10k Posts
May 28, 2008
Melwood
AFL Club
Essendon
Can't wait for this match. Haven't got my hands on a starting 15 as yet but i can tell you its on FTA on SBS. Sunday 4th december at 1.15 AM and a replay on the same day at 3.00pm. Pumped.

Had an awesome time at the game. Millenium stadium is fantastic and to hear the welsh anthem sung there is spine tingling. First half was a bit rubbish, but the Wallabies played really well in the 2nd half and it was great to see Shane Williams score at the end.

I thought Barnes and Turner both played really well. Sharpe made a difference when he came on. Can't give a good analysis though. I was drinking too much and spending too much time bantering with the welsh fans sitting behind me. Cardiff also had a great atmosphere after the game as the stadium is pretty much in the middle of the city. The Welsh fans were really gracious and welcoming. Loved it, definitely hope to do it again soon and would recommend it to any rugby fan.

How was the coverage on SBS? Would be great if they started showing some more rugby.

Well this game showed a few things:

1. Deans was a turnip! Barnes>>>>>a dead dog>>>>>>>>>>>>McCabe!

2. Our pack is getting better, and I was right that we were 12-24months off, we needed everything to go our way at the WC.

3. Our backs were fluent, would have been better with Horne at 13, Faainga is just average.

4. Higginbotham at 6 was an improvement on Elsom.

Had an awesome time at the game. Millenium stadium is fantastic and to hear the welsh anthem sung there is spine tingling. First half was a bit rubbish, but the Wallabies played really well in the 2nd half and it was great to see Shane Williams score at the end.

I thought Barnes and Turner both played really well. Sharpe made a difference when he came on. Can't give a good analysis though. I was drinking too much and spending too much time bantering with the welsh fans sitting behind me. Cardiff also had a great atmosphere after the game as the stadium is pretty much in the middle of the city. The Welsh fans were really gracious and welcoming. Loved it, definitely hope to do it again soon and would recommend it to any rugby fan.

How was the coverage on SBS? Would be great if they started showing some more rugby.

Coverage on SBS was surprisingly good. You had a host and two ex Wallabies talking pre match stuff then we crossed over to the local commentary team. All in all a good effort. Same can be said for the Wallabies. Slow first half but definitely increased the tempo after half time. Shows how much losing a player hurts. 3 tries in ten minutes.

Was a really good match as most against Wales are and the SBS coverage was excellent!

I would have liked to see James O'Connor doing a bit more work at fly half as he seemed to go a bit Quade Cooper on us at times (trying to do the brilliant step-over or "in-side out pass" rather than the traditional playmaker role) but his pass to set up Turner for the second try was excellent. It was a nice change to see us having a number ten that wasn't afraid to take a hit either. I was still a bit confused as backline moved around a fair bit, with O'Connor playing everything from 10 to 12 to 15 in the same match but it was great to see Berrick Barnes do well as I think he brings a lot to the team as an inside centre. There's not a lot more thant can be said about the match, we were really good in the second half, I was just a bit disappointed that O'Connor wasn't used more and our backline was too shifty. A typical "hard-nosed but uncreative performance" from Anthony Faainga while with the exception of Mafu, our pack was very good.

Am overseas atm and have been meaning to come on and give my thoughts but keep forgetting. Anyway, watched the game in Koh Phi Phi in my room (was so happy I found it) and here's what I thought:

- Lachie Turner just keeps doing everything he possible to impress Deans. Every time he gets a shot for the Wallabies he plays an influential game and impresses me. I saw an article questioning whether he was a test calibre player the other week but there has been no doubt in my mind that he is. Not saying he ought to be picked ahead of Ioane or Mitchell necessarily, but with JOC now firmly looking at a midfield role, the 2 I just mentioned would be well advised to play well as they have a very good winger snapping at their heels.

- Barnes must stay in the XV somewhere. I would prefer JOC at 10 and Barnes at 12 but I have no doubt Deans will give Quade an opportunity when fit again. JOC's defence is just so much better than Quade's and Barnes' all round game really is perfect for not just test match rugby, but any sort of rugby. He is just a really good footballer who knows what to do in all situations.

- Higginbotham looked good at 6, I think he may well be on the track towards beating out Elsom for good. Samo has to go. That little deft pass to Barnes for his try was very nice but I just don't think he provides enough for a big, hulking,mobile backrower.

- TPN had one of his better tests in a while (though his throwing was still neither here nor there). More active than I've seen him in a Wallabies jumper for a while. Never been a massive fan of Ma'afu but I thought he had a very nice game as well while he was on. Slipper needs more time to become the anchor we need him to be but he is well on the way in my mind.

- And please, please, please for the love of ****, Rob Horne. Get fit, do whatever you have to do to stay fit so we don't have to put up with Fainga'a at 13. He's a whole-hearted contributor and is as tough as any on the field, but a developed Rob Horne at 13 is what could set this backline onto a path of even greater brilliance. I mean imagine the following:

9. Genia
10. JOC
11. Ioane
12. Barnes
13. Horne
14. Mitchell
15. Beale

Good god.

Am overseas atm and have been meaning to come on and give my thoughts but keep forgetting. Anyway, watched the game in Koh Phi Phi in my room (was so happy I found it) and here's what I thought:

- Lachie Turner just keeps doing everything he possible to impress Deans. Every time he gets a shot for the Wallabies he plays an influential game and impresses me. I saw an article questioning whether he was a test calibre player the other week but there has been no doubt in my mind that he is. Not saying he ought to be picked ahead of Ioane or Mitchell necessarily, but with JOC now firmly looking at a midfield role, the 2 I just mentioned would be well advised to play well as they have a very good winger snapping at their heels.

- Barnes must stay in the XV somewhere. I would prefer JOC at 10 and Barnes at 12 but I have no doubt Deans will give Quade an opportunity when fit again. JOC's defence is just so much better than Quade's and Barnes' all round game really is perfect for not just test match rugby, but any sort of rugby. He is just a really good footballer who knows what to do in all situations.

- Higginbotham looked good at 6, I think he may well be on the track towards beating out Elsom for good. Samo has to go. That little deft pass to Barnes for his try was very nice but I just don't think he provides enough for a big, hulking,mobile backrower.

- TPN had one of his better tests in a while (though his throwing was still neither here nor there). More active than I've seen him in a Wallabies jumper for a while. Never been a massive fan of Ma'afu but I thought he had a very nice game as well while he was on. Slipper needs more time to become the anchor we need him to be but he is well on the way in my mind.

- And please, please, please for the love of ****, Rob Horne. Get fit, do whatever you have to do to stay fit so we don't have to put up with Fainga'a at 13. He's a whole-hearted contributor and is as tough as any on the field, but a developed Rob Horne at 13 is what could set this backline onto a path of even greater brilliance. I mean imagine the following:

9. Genia
10. JOC
11. Ioane
12. Barnes
13. Horne
14. Mitchell
15. Beale

Good god.
This, This, This.

I know he gets bagged a lot, but I don't mind Anthony Faainga, I admire his toughness and willingnes to throw himself to the wolves for the team. But as has been the case for the past few years, has all the heart and determination you could ask, but quite simply hasn't got the talent as an International player. Horne on the other hand has both in abundance.

For me it will be remembered for what could have been. Although the success of the Queensland Reds was good to watch, very entertaining team. A year were a lot of things went right for Australian Rugby, apart from those two losses of which will not mention in the world cup.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back