Nige_Bix

Club Legend
Mar 7, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
WWT Eagles
Terry Wallace is going to talk about the Crows on Whiteline Fever - re our list - age, quality etc- not sure what he will say but sense it will be negative.

jfb

Should have had my pencil and paper ready! Have a bad memory!!

They started by replaying the GA interview from just before the finals where he was defending the Carey, Burns recruiting saying in 2002 we had the 2nd youngest list so it didnt really matter having a couple of older layers on the list given their experience.

TW compared us to Richmond who recruited a group of "experienced" players after they had finished 4th - including Stafford and then as we know finished out of the 8 following this. He said they had failed in not cashing in on early draft picks and playing younger players that they had on their list. He followed that up by listing this years Tiger group which included Kane Johnson.

He hinted Adelaide might struggle if they keep following this lead/trend - if not already

Then he listed the average of the teams in the finals - we were 2nd oldest to the power [23 yrs +] down to Freo who were in the lowish 22's.

His next comment was to compare us to the Power again and say that their key players are in their early/mid 20's whereas ours are in the later 20's and early 30's. He believes that this is an area of concern for our immediate future.

To be honest I tend have taken that onboard as constructive observation and dont disagree with it.

Cheers jfb.

Age of the Crows list, including our 2 older recruits doesn't concern me too much. However, we don't currently have enough of our 24 & under players coming through the system. We badly need to blood the next generation next year whilst the older guys are still around.

Originally posted by Kane McGoodwin
Cheers jfb.

Age of the Crows list, including our 2 older recruits doesn't concern me too much. However, we don't currently have enough of our 24 & under players coming through the system. We badly need to blood the next generation next year whilst the older guys are still around.
I fully agree. Either blood them next year while experienced heads are around or expect 2-3 years of medicrity when we have no choice but to play them.

I know which one I would go for;)

I don't care what he has to say. I don't listen to what Victorian "experts" have to say. Usually they talk out there bum anyway.

k
xx

I agree with Stiffy and Kane, we must use what we have now mixture of young and not so young - the draft is secondary to me atm. One thing about the draft though is that I would like to see Parker on the list.

I don't knock commentators just because they are
Victorians commenting on the Crows - as i said I felt it was very constructive - the facts are there for all to see.

I think comparing us to Richmond is a bit out there. From memory Richmond followed up their 4th with a 14th - a far cry from our 5th place this year after 4th last year.

I agree with Kane though that we need more younger players coming through and pushing for selection.

Originally posted by Stiffy_18
I fully agree. Either blood them next year while experienced heads are around or expect 2-3 years of medicrity when we have no choice but to play them.

I know which one I would go for;)

This is critical, compare the bombers to the bulldogs. The best way to get youngsters 'up to speed' is to surround them with the experienced older heads (these should be the core of the team). Sheedy has no peer when it comes to this, he bloods youngsters every year. It really ****s me when people say this is a 're-building' year.

The bulldogs (and to a lesser extent Geelong) are playing lots of juniors with heaps of potential, but they ARE the core group. They will never become a force imo because they have no-one to learn from or show them the way.

Who's lead would we rather follow?

I love the way so called experts talk so flipantly about what players a club needs, as though they're lining up on the streets to join their team.

I'm sure Adelaide would love to recruit 4 or 5 young players with superstar potential like a Reiwoldt or a Wells but lets face it, talent like that is spread pretty thin and if we're consistently making the finals then we're not going to get many high draft picks.

Occassionally you'll get a bargain like Johncock (pick 50-odd) but there are going to be 5 or 6 other players that dont come through for everyone that does.

Originally posted by naughty monkey
This is critical, compare the bombers to the bulldogs. The best way to get youngsters 'up to speed' is to surround them with the experienced older heads (these should be the core of the team). Sheedy has no peer when it comes to this, he bloods youngsters every year. It really ****s me when people say this is a 're-building' year.

The bulldogs (and to a lesser extent Geelong) are playing lots of juniors with heaps of potential, but they ARE the core group. They will never become a force imo because they have no-one to learn from or show them the way.

Who's lead would we rather follow?
Good post NM.

By recruiting a few experienced players in 2003 & not trading anyone except Sugar, we held up the development of our younger players. We had the opportunity to give the likes of Reilly a few games when we had a flu outbreak, but prefered to stupidly play unfit players instead. In 2004, we must ease in the next generation (like a Sheedy would). This means that we should shed some fringe players to free up more games for the younger guys. It is important that we keep developing the young players to keep the age balance of the side OK. We need to fast-track some of these youngsters, as we don't have enough players under 24 coming through.

Originally posted by Kane McGoodwin
Good post NM.

By recruiting a few experienced players in 2003 & not trading anyone except Sugar, we held up the development of our younger players. We had the opportunity to give the likes of Reilly a few games when we had a flu outbreak, but prefered to stupidly play unfit players instead. In 2004, we must ease in the next generation (like a Sheedy would). This means that we should shed some fringe players to free up more games for the younger guys. It is important that we keep developing the young players to keep the age balance of the side OK. We need to fast-track some of these youngsters, as we don't have enough players under 24 coming through.
The likes of Hentschel, Parker, Schuback, Reilly and Rutten should be played at every opportunity we get.

Personally, I would get Johncock into the midfield, and get Schuback to play his role up forward. I would get rid of Perrie for something decent if possible and play Hentschel. If Nigel retires I would give Parker a spot as a BP or a FB depending on the opposition. Reilly should also become part of the midfield rotation.

2004 is the year that I think we should really bite the bullett and and play a handful of youngsters. I don't care if we just scrape inot the finals as long as we do the right thing. There should be some short term pain for the long term gain;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The likes of Hentschel, Parker, Schuback, Reilly and Rutten should be played at every opportunity we get.

Personally, I would get Johncock into the midfield, and get Schuback to play his role up forward. I would get rid of Perrie for something decent if possible and play Hentschel. If Nigel retires I would give Parker a spot as a BP or a FB depending on the opposition. Reilly should also become part of the midfield rotation.

2004 is the year that I think we should really bite the bullett and and play a handful of youngsters. I don't care if we just scrape inot the finals as long as we do the right thing. There should be some short term pain for the long term gain;)

Stiffy, Ayresy's out and you're in. :)

You certainly make a lot more sense to me than he does!!! :D

I just think its common sense. Unfortunately our coachin panel lacks that at times:(
My New Year's resolution for Ayresy - More common sense, less stuborness & we will all be happy! :cool:

I agree we need four or five good young players to be playing every week next year whilst the more experienced players are there to show them the way especially the likes of Carey,Mcleod,Riccutto and even Clarke as an experienced ruckman;)

I think the AFC coaching panel lacks brain power quite alot:rolleyes:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back