Analysis Was Letting Go of Adcock the Right Move?

Was Letting Go of Adcock the Right Move?

• Yes

Votes: 37 38.9%
  • No

Votes: 58 61.1%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Kent Brockman

Team Captain
Aug 22, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Lot's of discussion around this, especially after his sublime performance today. Let's see what the fans think!

EDIT: Yes, I understand Adcock wasn't sacked by the club. However, it appears that he would have stayed if we could guarantee him game time in 2016.

Last edited:
We didn't let him go, just couldn't guarantee him games next year. Adcock himself said he understood the decision and held no grudges. Amicable split. He played a superb game. Was a fitting send off for a great player and captain of the club.

Any chance the club will reconsider?

Well it depends what they are reconsidering. If, as reported, he is leaving because they can't guarantee him a game every week, then surely one great game doesn't change that. If they were really letting him go because they feel he's on the decline, then they would have to reconsider that after his form over the last few weeks.

I'd love for both parties to reconsider but surely that ship has sailed.
I can't understand that the club have been copping so much over this. Jed asked the question when his stock was low. If not for injuries, I'm not sure he wouldn't have been dropped before he made it to 200. Then a position change rejuvenated him - credit to Jed but also to the coaches. Who knows what else sparked his revival.
I can't blame either side for the way things played out. Let's hope it all works out for player and club in the long run.

No.

Letting Jed go is a disgrace for mine.

I have no doubt there is a bit of fault with each party though. Jed was offered a contract, later that was rejected, which I suspect was due to having another suitor lined up. I struggle to see how on Jed's 2015 form that he wasn't best 22 even with a full uninjured list.

I have a romantic notion that both parties will re-consider, but not after a send-off such as that he received today.

Adcock played better in a farewell game at his home ground,always a chance it would happen. He hadn't done much for most of the season and if he'd played on there was every chance he would have continued at that below average level. Just my opinion

No - and not even for the romantic/ emotional reasons.

just a good leader, glue guy, ok player, stays on the park, forward and back, reasonable wage - should have 2-3 years left.

The pragmatic side to me days keep him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can't see why they couldn't put him on a 1 year deal, Jed is a wealth of experience and with so many young players he should be a role model.

Jed has been professional about this he hasn't burnt any bridges. And I took from his 'joke' that he would be happy to stay if a good offer was made. I suspect though that the offer he is wanting is for a player likely to be playing senior football and that is probably not what we are after.

Can't see why they couldn't put him on a 1 year deal, Jed is a wealth of experience and with so many young players he should be a role model.

It seems pretty obvious we offered him a contract that he wasn't satisfied with and was offered a better contract at another club. No hard feelings, he is doing what is best for his family. He played one hell of a game tonight. In fact, a BOG game, but we are making the right choice to not overpay/offer him when we are rebuilding.

Jed has been professional about this he hasn't burnt any bridges. And I took from his 'joke' that he would be happy to stay if a good offer was made. I suspect though that the offer he is wanting is for a player likely to be playing senior football and that is probably not what we are after.
aa702842c77416a1e630d386827c1dbe6fc41526aa60717bff5260d7133fcc65.jpg

Hypothetically, say we re-sign Jed for next year. Can we drop him from the 22 if his form (or the form of others) merits it? After all that's happened, I don't think we can. That's bad for everyone.

Hypothetically, say we re-sign Jed for next year. Can we drop him from the 22 if his form (or the form of others) merits it? After all that's happened, I don't think we can. That's bad for everyone.
Still thought it'd be nice to have a 200 gamer on the field since we are putting such young side on the field week in week out. I mean look at the bulldogs, the got Murphy 200+ games then a few in the 100 bracket and then plenty of them under 100 games. Similar to us but i suppose the only difference is they're younger.

How do we know that wasn't offered? He rejected a deal, earlier in the year.

We need to stop seeing every deal or non-deal, as the club's doing. There are 2 parties to every contract.

http://www.lions.com.au/video/2015-09-05/postmatch-jed-adcock-interview

Adcock jokingly said there might be a contract for him there after playing well so maybe he will come back. :D

My views are Adcock has been a very good player, but at 29, he holds no position on the ground that could not be replaced by a developing player. This suggests the Lions are truely rebuilding for the long term which is a tick for me.

You can play experience but this substitutes development. Under Voss, Lions played alot of players such as Raines that were never going to feature in the next development cycle but had experience. This in my opinion is worse. The game is harsh, but its the right move imo.

I thought he could of held a position up forward.... But I understand our need to fully focus on the young ones like Cutler, Robertson, McGrath etc.

I think Jed although finishing well..... Was pretty disappointed about losing the captaincy and moped around a bit this season...

Culturally that didn't go down well and may have contributed to the contract offer being pulled.

Still thought it'd be nice to have a 200 gamer on the field since we are putting such young side on the field week in week out. I mean look at the bulldogs, the got Murphy 200+ games then a few in the 100 bracket and then plenty of them under 100 games. Similar to us but i suppose the only difference is they're younger.

Murphy has been in nearly career best form though. I think that's an important difference.

Jed was great yesterday and I am a huge fan of him as a person, even moreso in light of recent events. I just think it is a reasonable guess that he might not have played a lot next year.

Maybe they have thought this through and feel McGrath has his spot covered both in the back and forward line. This guy was in the side round 1 in his first year. If that is the case I can live with it. Although I think Alcock still could offer something for sure.

Back