Wayne Richardson

Remove this Banner Ad

Gabo was no mug, also signed before playing footy at home. Went home for one season in 1961 at West Perth.
Represnted WA at the 1961 Carnival at CHB & went All Aus, WA beat the big V.
Hard to go past the big bloke. :)
Good to see you around, mate. I've always suspected you have a soft spot for the Pies, so I'm not surprised that you keep an eye on things on this board! W. Richardson did make our ToTC; he's the only WA player in it, so I'd think that puts him well ahead of the rest. Clement was just phenomenal for us, and if we'd had him for a few more years he may have been rated even higher among our best, but I think Wayne gets the nod.

It's strange, but even now, after more than fifty years, having just watched the 1970 GF I feel like that little boy who cried unconsolably that heartbreaking afternoon. I don't think I've ever got over it. God knows how the players feel.

Substitute girl for boy, and you are describing me.:'(

Loved Wayne Richardson.

Like to thank the OP for the reminder re Wayne. Loved him as captain of our team.
Strangely my memories are of listening to radio commentary and hearing his name keep bobbing up for us. He was a great role model for selfless leadership and definitely a legend.

not old enough to remember Wayne but funny seeing this because last night i was trying to google a goal Mark Richardson kicked once. my (often very hazy) memory recalls him getting a free kick in the centre circle ruck contest when it was blowing a gale and kicking a goal from the resulting free kick. i think a pre-season game. anyone remember this? or have footage?

Both fabulous goals in sensational games! They kicked opposite ends of the Sherrin in order to get it to spin between the goals! And people question the skills of some of these olden days players!!
The lead-up play for the Richardson goal was a bit messy at times but the finish was phenomenal. That handpass by Errol Hutchesson did look somewhat dubious! Great to watch overall. The Daicos goal is still my favourite all-time highlight. Just brilliant!

Here is an article I wrote in 2003 when Wayne Richardson was inducted into the AFL Hall of Fame.

In 1966, I lived in Ramsden Street Clifton Hill and attended Spensley Street Primary School, Grade 3.

To go to Victoria Park to watch the Pies play, all we had to do was walk out the front door and 15 minutes later, we were there.

In this particular year, I had attended the R1 game against Hawthorn and I had seen Peter McKenna kick 12 goals and become the toast of the football world in his second year. (I had his number on the back of my Collingwood jumper b/c he had a Beatle haircut!).

My family then ventured out to Brunswick Street Oval (the one and only time I saw the Pies play there) to see if McKenna could do it again - he couldn’t. He kicked one goal for the day and it was in the last quarter, and we stormed home to win by 5 goals after scores were tied or close to at 3/4 time. (From memory I think we won 73 to 43 or thereabouts).

The following week I ventured out to Windy Hill in a record Windy Hill crowd of approx. 43,000 to see the Pies go down 8 6 54 to 8 18 66. Our first loss for the season.

Which brings us to R4 1966 v Richmond at Victoria Park. On this sunny May day I went with my older brother. We (read he) decided that we should not only watch the main game but the entire reserves game. OK. We got there just as the Reserves started and in this way we claimed a front row seat in the old wooden grandstand where the Sherrin stand now is located.

We even kept stats IN THE RESERVES GAME of free kicks and of all stats, how many times it went out of bounds!

We won the Reserves and when the main game was about to start, my brother told me that we had a new player in today for his first game who came from WA, by the name of Wayne Richardson. No. 18. He said that he had stood out of footy in 65 b/c his club in WA wouldn’t clear him, but that he could now play and he was supposed to be a good player. We were about to find out.

I remember two things from this game. Firstly, we trounced the Tigers 12 13 85 to 5 18 48. The other main memory is watching an 18 year old dominate the game as a rover and kick 4 goals to boot on debut.

Maybe we would see more of this youngster?

And we did. He instantly became a permanent fixture in the side teaming up with another first year rover Garry Wallis to create s strong roving division for the Pies as we dominated the season for a 15W 3L finish and a percentage @ 160% or thereabouts.

He also became renowned for his "around the corner'" kick which everyone does these days, where you drop it across your foot and make it spins sideways as you kick across your body. No one had ever done that before that we had ever seen. It became known in Magpie circles as the Wayne Richardson kick.

Richo was a champion for most of his career. He was always in and under packs, he could take marks and his disposal and goal kicking skills were excellent. He consistently averaged 25-30 kicks a game and showed the consistency that only Nathan Buckley has displayed since.

He formed part of the combination of the late 60s and early 70s renowned for delivering impeccable passes to Peter McKenna and this group included his brother Max (who started in 1969) Barry Price and John Greening.

He soon became deputy vice captain under Tuddy and wore No 3 and then vice-captain under Terry Waters in 1970 when he wore No 2.

He played in many finals matches but in those days we would struggle to make the GFs losing finals or else lose the GF anyway. He played in the 66GF and the infamous 70GF, but he struggled valiantly in all the final series and I remember his efforts in the 67 1SF against Geelong especially a speccy mark he took that day in a losing side.

He was always a dependable player and good with kids. He took us for a coaching clinic at Ramsden St. Oval together with Harry Collier. He was very friendly to all the kids in the days before PR spin doctors ordered you to be so. Harry kept on calling Wayne "Tiger" which I thought was funny and strange seeing he was a Magpie!

He was also friendly towards his fans, but it didn’t stop him becoming a shrewd businessman as well and he was already preparing for life after footy at a very young age when he got involved in the plastics industry.

He became captain in rather tumultuous circumstances in late 1971 when Terry Waters lost the post and was sacked because of indifferent form. He led us into the 1SF against Richmond and I still maintain that the injury to his thigh suffered in the second qtr that day cost us the game. We fought our way back from a half time deficit to be within a couple of points in the third qt when Thommo came off the bench, but there was no leadership in the last qtr and Richmond ran away with the game to win by 44 pts. I am certain Wayne Richardson would have made a difference that day.

He held on to the captaincy until 1976 when Tuddy reclaimed it under Murray Weideman. There was much turmoil in the club and Wayne wasn't happy to lose the captaincy after being loyal to Collingwood for so long, even if he did like Tuddy. After an inglorious start to the year which would eventually give us our first wooden spoon, Wayne and Max were both suspended by the club after being dropped for the R3 Easter Saturday game against Hawthorn where we were crushed, and failing to appear in the Reserves. A four week suspension was imposed by the club and this was the low point of Wayne's career with Collingwood.

Under Tommy Hafey Wayne had a new lease on life and though now wearing the No 18 again, played some great games for Collingwood. It was therefore a surprise and a disappointment that during the finals he was dropped to 19th man.

He played one more year in 78, then in 79 he became the permanent captain of the reserves and basically coached them for that year to a runner up position when the Reserves GF was played on a Friday night at Waverley v. North Melbourne the night before the day GF against Carlton.

He then retired and devoted many more years eventually to the Pies in his capacity as a director after the failure of the New Magpies.

He is Collingwood through and through and in my mind he along with Tuddy will always bear the moniker "Skipper".

Wayne Richardson, we salute you as a legend of the club and an inductee of the AFL Hall of Fame!

Here is an article I wrote in 2003 when Wayne Richardson was inducted into the AFL Hall of Fame.

In 1966, I lived in Ramsden Street Clifton Hill and attended Spensley Street Primary School, Grade 3.

To go to Victoria Park to watch the Pies play, all we had to do was walk out the front door and 15 minutes later, we were there.

In this particular year, I had attended the R1 game against Hawthorn and I had seen Peter McKenna kick 12 goals and become the toast of the football world in his second year. (I had his number on the back of my Collingwood jumper b/c he had a Beatle haircut!).

My family then ventured out to Brunswick Street Oval (the one and only time I saw the Pies play there) to see if McKenna could do it again - he couldn’t. He kicked one goal for the day and it was in the last quarter, and we stormed home to win by 5 goals after scores were tied or close to at 3/4 time. (From memory I think we won 73 to 43 or thereabouts).

The following week I ventured out to Windy Hill in a record Windy Hill crowd of approx. 43,000 to see the Pies go down 8 6 54 to 8 18 66. Our first loss for the season.

Which brings us to R4 1966 v Richmond at Victoria Park. On this sunny May day I went with my older brother. We (read he) decided that we should not only watch the main game but the entire reserves game. OK. We got there just as the Reserves started and in this way we claimed a front row seat in the old wooden grandstand where the Sherrin stand now is located.

We even kept stats IN THE RESERVES GAME of free kicks and of all stats, how many times it went out of bounds!

We won the Reserves and when the main game was about to start, my brother told me that we had a new player in today for his first game who came from WA, by the name of Wayne Richardson. No. 18. He said that he had stood out of footy in 65 b/c his club in WA wouldn’t clear him, but that he could now play and he was supposed to be a good player. We were about to find out.

I remember two things from this game. Firstly, we trounced the Tigers 12 13 85 to 5 18 48. The other main memory is watching an 18 year old dominate the game as a rover and kick 4 goals to boot on debut.

And we did. He instantly became a permanent fixture in the side teaming up with another first year rover Garry Wallis to create s strong roving division for the Pies as we dominated the season for a 15W 3L finish and a percentage @ 160% or thereabouts.

He also became renowned for his "around the corner'" kick which everyone does these days, where you drop it across your foot and make it spins sideways as you kick across your body. No one had ever done that before that we had ever seen. It became known in Magpie circles as the Wayne Richardson kick.

Richo was a champion for most of his career. He was always in and under packs, he could take marks and his disposal and goal kicking skills were excellent. He consistently averaged 25-30 kicks a game and showed the consistency that only Nathan Buckley has displayed since.

He formed part of the combination of the late 60s and early 70s renowned for delivering impeccable passes to Peter McKenna and this group included his brother Max (who started in 1969) Barry Price and John Greening.

He soon became deputy vice captain under Tuddy and wore No 3 and then vice-captain under Terry Waters in 1970 when he wore No 2.

He played in many finals matches but in those days we would struggle to make the GFs losing finals or else lose the GF anyway. He played in the 66GF and the infamous 70GF, but he struggled valiantly in all the final series and I remember his efforts in the 67 1SF against Geelong especially a speccy mark he took that day in a losing side.

He was always a dependable player and good with kids. He took us for a coaching clinic at Ramsden St. Oval together with Harry Collier. He was very friendly to all the kids in the days before PR spin doctors ordered you to be so. Harry kept on calling Wayne "Tiger" which I thought was funny and strange seeing he was a Magpie!

He was also friendly towards his fans, but it didn’t stop him becoming a shrewd businessman as well and he was already preparing for life after footy at a very young age when he got involved in the plastics industry.

He became captain in rather tumultuous circumstances in late 1971 when Terry Waters lost the post and was sacked because of indifferent form. He led us into the 1SF against Richmond and I still maintain that the injury to his thigh suffered in the second qtr that day cost us the game. We fought our way back from a half time deficit to be within a couple of points in the third qt when Thommo came off the bench, but there was no leadership in the last qtr and Richmond ran away with the game to win by 44 pts. I am certain Wayne Richardson would have made a difference that day.

He held on to the captaincy until 1976 when Tuddy reclaimed it under Murray Weideman. There was much turmoil in the club and Wayne wasn't happy to lose the captaincy after being loyal to Collingwood for so long, even if he did like Tuddy. After an inglorious start to the year which would eventually give us our first wooden spoon, Wayne and Max were both suspended by the club after being dropped for the R3 Easter Saturday game against Hawthorn where we were crushed, and failing to appear in the Reserves. A four week suspension was imposed by the club and this was the low point of Wayne's career with Collingwood.

Under Tommy Hafey Wayne had a new lease on life and though now wearing the No 18 again, played some great games for Collingwood. It was therefore a surprise and a disappointment that during the finals he was dropped to 19th man.

He played one more year in 78, then in 79 he became the permanent captain of the reserves and basically coached them for that year to a runner up position when the Reserves GF was played on a Friday night at Waverley v. North Melbourne the night before the day GF against Carlton.

He then retired and devoted many more years eventually to the Pies in his capacity as a director after the failure of the New Magpies.

He is Collingwood through and through and in my mind he along with Tuddy will always bear the moniker "Skipper".

Wayne Richardson, we salute you as a legend of the club and an inductee of the AFL Hall of Fame!
Excellent!

FYI: Max spent 2 years in the WAFL* with South Fremantle

*having learned from Max having to stand out of footy for 12 months to get a clearance, as did Syd Jackson in the 60s.

FYI: Max spent 2 years in the WAFL* with South Fremantle

*having learned from Max having to stand out of footy for 12 months to get a clearance, as did Syd Jackson in the 60s.

Yes he did and when he started it wasn't until R 5 against St. Kilda as the clearance didn't come through until then. He played on the HBF that year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

God knows how the players feel.

Embarrassed I would hope. Extremely embarrassed.
7+ goals up at half time, in an era of restricted scoring, to go on and lose by almost two goals.
A 9 goal turnaround......
So many laud Barassi for the turnaround, but it’s the players on the ground who have to take responsibility.

7+ goals up at half time, in an era of restricted scoring, to go on and lose by almost two goals.
So many laud Barassi for the turnaround, but it’s the players on the ground who have to take responsibility.
The scoring had lifted again by the late 60's, after being in the doldrums from the 50's onwards. Neither Carlton nor Collingwood had much trouble hitting the 100 point mark in 1970. 17 times Collingwood managed it (from 24 games) and Carlton did 13 times (25 games), including in the last 6 games of their season. The Grand Final scores (101-111) were actually somewhat similar to those from the 2nd Semi Final (118-108), with the Blues reversing a 10-point loss for a 10-point win in the ultimate game.

Yet another one that got away, sadly!

Many will put that loss down to this incident, rather than the genius of Barassi, or the goals of Ted Hopkins: https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/...s/news-story/567ce4494e02ae6d8d109a8698f11f79
1578904613721.png

1578904674512.png
It's interesting to note that Carlton had 40 handballs to Collingwood's 33 in this game. Hardly massive numbers, despite all the focus given to Carlton's tactic: https://afltables.com/afl/stats/games/1970/030419700926.html
We had 33 to their 38 in the game two weeks earlier: https://afltables.com/afl/stats/games/1970/030419700912.html

Last edited:
A time of restricted scoring? Pardon. Huge scores were the order of the day in the seventies.

Why should they be any more embarrassed than the Carlton players who fell so far behind and looked disinterested for a half? The game was played at a frenetic pace-Carlton got on a huge roll and as so often happens, everything fell their way as it did for us early. I've watched the game recently and was trying to pinpoint what could have been done to halt their momentum. Aside from a few king hits I could not see a solution. Defenders were still defending yet the ball fell into Hopkins hands a couple of times when he was basically picking his nose. They kicked seven goals in the opening ten minutes of the third term and from then on it was an arm wrestle. What would you have done? Momentum is real. In any sport it can be almost impossible to resist. Even in home and away games the mantra is "make the most of your moments when you are on top" for the pendulum almost always swings. Those who make the most of their opportunities usually win.

It was also an era when teams simply attacked with long and direct footy regardless of the time or scores.. There was no plan B. No chipping sideways or backwards to retain possession or run down the clock. This only added to the difficulty of halting momentum.

Thanks for this. I'm glad to see Wayne getting the kudos he so richly deserves.

64 and 66 dead unlucky
(1970 wasn't luck)
McKenna kicked 5 goals in the first half and was knocked out in time on of the second qtr accidentally by Des Tuddenham. He only kicked one more in the second half & has no memory of it. That was unlucky.

McKenna kicked 5 goals in the first half and was knocked out in time on of the second qtr accidentally by Des Tuddenham. He only kicked one more in the second half & has no memory of it. That was unlucky.
That reduced our goal scoring ability - it shouldn't have prevented us from restricting Carlton's scoring - after Hopkins kicked 1-2 goals maybe Tuddy could have paid Hopkins some attention - we should not have let Carlton out score us by 9 goals in the 2nd half

That reduced our goal scoring ability - it shouldn't have prevented us from restricting Carlton's scoring - after Hopkins kicked 1-2 goals maybe Tuddy could have paid Hopkins some attention - we should not have let Carlton out score us by 9 goals in the 2nd half

Tuddy couldn't catch anyone in the second half! When he collided with Macca he corked a thigh himself and he was really limited in the second half. So we actually played "two men down" for the second half until the reserves came off the bench. McKenna was in a daze and Tuddy couldn't get out of first gear. That enabled Goold and Waite to run out of defence unchallenged and that's where a lot of their "play on" started from. Hopkins just mopped up spillage in the forward line when our blokes panicked.

Tuddy couldn't catch anyone in the second half! When he collided with Macca he corked a thigh himself and he was really limited in the second half. So we actually played "two men down" for the second half until the reserves came off the bench. McKenna was in a daze and Tuddy couldn't get out of first gear. That enabled Goold and Waite to run out of defence unchallenged and that's where a lot of their "play on" started from. Hopkins just mopped up spillage in the forward line when our blokes panicked.
could be - but still it's another GF we lost

:thumbsu:
Recruited from the bush in the WA wheatbelt as a kid, tied to South Freo he had to stand out of footy for a year as were the rules if your club did not clear you. 19 when he debuted at the Pies.
Interesting to read he came originally from the wheatbelt. His records have him as being recruited from Bicton. Apparently Wayne's nickname at Collingwood was also 'Bicton'.

Interesting to read he came originally from the wheatbelt. His records have him as being recruited from Bicton. Apparently Wayne's nickname at Collingwood was also 'Bicton'.

Was working in a bank out there, Kunnunopin/Trayning was the club off the top. Murray Rance came out of there later.
The family home was Bicton, a drop kick from Fremantle Oval. Max went the conventional way through South Freo & the WAFL.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back