Remove this Banner Ad

Boomerfan99

Premiership Player
Jun 22, 2015
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Nuggets
I was watching that 1993 video against Bombers posted on another thread and noticed what a gun he is.

Can someone whose watched a lot more of him let me know if he was a Dangerfield/Judd type player where he would burst out of picks with long kicks into Duck and Longmire in the forward 50?

I was watching that 1993 video against Bombers posted on another thread and noticed what a gun he is.

Can someone whose watched a lot more of him let me know if he was a Dangerfield/Judd type player where he would burst out of picks with long kicks into Duck and Longmire in the forward 50?

Long, raking left foot. Not so much a clearnce beast like Dangerfield, more on the wing where
his most beautiful mullet would flow in the breeze.

You know how good Wayne Carey was, well when he was in his prime in the mid 90s, only 2 other players won the best fairest award during the King's reign - Anthony Stevens and Wayne Schwass and they both won it twice. He was a superstar.

Out and out superstar who was one of the first AFL players to admit he was battling depression post career.

Not only was he before his time on the field (as Philly said above) but was a pioneer in helping a lot of sportspeople battling the black dog.

Wonderful human being.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Watching that highlights vid I couldn't help but lament the number of his great tackles which would come under MRP scrutiny these days. FMD the game's being destroyed by the nancy boy PC rule makers.

I've told this story before but he wanted to belt me one night after I beat him in pool. :D

He was a competitive mofo back in the day. I lived with a couple of mates who were NBL basketballers in the mid 90's and one night at The Sports Bar Schwatta decided to take them on with that b'ball hoop and ball they had there. It was like watching the gunfight at The OK Corral.

I remember him as reliable, probably more an outside mid than inside.
Had a raking left foot and because of that, it felt like he played on a wing rather than in the centre.
He was in my top three favourite players and I was gutted when he was traded to Sydney. The only thing that made that bearable was that we got Shannon Grant in the best and fairest AFL trade in history.

Can see why we wanted to give Bread the #2.
You called?

kWgpK_s-200x150.gif

I remember him as reliable, probably more an outside mid than inside.
Had a raking left foot and because of that, it felt like he played on a wing rather than in the centre.
He was in my top three favourite players and I was gutted when he was traded to Sydney. The only thing that made that bearable was that we got Shannon Grant in the best and fairest AFL trade in history.

In the end it was the best move to go to Sydney for him mentally.

It wasn't til after he retired that he was comfortable discussing his battle with mental health issues.

I love Schwaa but I'd never put his name in the same sentence as Dangerfield or Judd.
Oh I would for sure!
In today's game he would have been just as dominant as those two. Was way harder, way better in the air, and probably a better goal kicker. Didn't accumulate as much as Danger, but the game was different back then.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back