MRP / Trib. Webster KO's Simpkin - Update 7 week penalty

Remove this Banner Ad

I guess what I'm saying is, when I played 20 years ago, I always pretty much assumed that someone would polaxe me after I kicked the ball.

So I either jibbed it, protected myself and/or braced for the contact.

I mean, there were obviously times when none of that mattered and you got crunched anyway. But generally speaking, I was less worried about being seriously hurt from a bump than I was from getting punched.
Completely agree - I put a guy into the fence. He lined me up, I stopped, he kept going - more players should do it.

The Maynard stuff is the more dangerous crap….collecting a guy going for the ball in the air. Absolutely PISS WEAK of the AFL.

Two years ago the AFL gave out a Brownlow for a very similar action.
Some would call that progress (Brownlow > zero weeks > 7 weeks), I call it corruption and a protection racket.
Hahaha pretty hard to get more delusional than this.

Not close to comparable, Cripps was going for the ball.

I still think this should have had a higher penalty. Unlike many other bumps / high hits there is just zero need for this in the game.

• It doesn't impact the play.
  • It doesn't need to occur.
  • There is no ball in contention.

This would be the perfect situation to have a hard line drawn and a stronger penalty does that. There is no world where the game is intrinsically different if players being hit by another after the ball will undoubtedly leave the area was eliminated from the sport. It feels like a missed opportunity to show the correct care (from the AFL) as opposed to the many contentious in the play issues that are much, much more difficult to eliminate completely.

Dec 2021 - AFL announce harsher penalties for head high contact with a minimum one match ban.

Aug 2022 - Carlton player hits Brisbane player in the head. Carlton player gets zero penalty and goes on to win Brownlow Medal as 'fairest and best player in the league'. Brisbane player suffers concussion and misses two weeks of football.

And you don't think there's something wrong here?

Dec 2021 - AFL announce harsher penalties for head high contact with a minimum one match ban.

Aug 2022 - Carlton player hits Brisbane player in the head. Carlton player gets zero penalty and goes on to win Brownlow Medal as 'fairest and best player in the league'. Brisbane player suffers concussion and misses two weeks of football.

And you don't think there's something wrong here?
It wasn't even a free kick. It was a pretty fair contest from two people going for the ball. But you go ahead and believe it's some massive conspiracy, I'm always fascinated by what other wacky world views people like you have.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I know, how didn't Ah Chee know to brace for contact. Ah Chee clearly saw Cripps jumping elbow first into the back of him unlike Webster running in Simpkins line of vision and then stupidly jumping into Simpkin.

I know, how didn't Ah Chee know to brace for contact. Ah Chee clearly saw Cripps jumping elbow first into the back of him unlike Webster running in Simpkins line of vision and then stupidly jumping into Simpkin.
Exactly

Remove this Banner Ad

Back