Strength Weight Training: Anything and Everything II

Remove this Banner Ad

as my grip failed on this 220kg deadlift I thought to myself, "I wish I trained my pull downs, rows and shrugs using straps."

This time I completed the rep* but at 225kg, taking a bit of a break from heavy lifting for the next few weeks and gonna come back hard on some low volume high frequency programming with a real focus on improving my squat

*soft knees tbh, not a rock solid lockout

This time I completed the rep* but at 225kg, taking a bit of a break from heavy lifting for the next few weeks and gonna come back hard on some low volume high frequency programming with a real focus on improving my squat

Hell yeah, getting some bar bend

I note you mentioned your grip failing - It doesn’t look like you are using any chalk on your hands (not allowed at your Gym perhaps?)

It may be worth a try for you, I know for me it made a huge difference, it feels like the bar is araldited to my hands and no more slipping 👍

I note you mentioned your grip failing - It doesn’t look like you are using any chalk on your hands (not allowed at your Gym perhaps?)

It may be worth a try for you, I know for me it made a huge difference, it feels like the bar is araldited to my hands and no more slipping

Yeah you’re 100% right, I should buy some

My old gym had some near the deadlift platform but at this gym I’ll have to BYO

Having some issues with my shoulder, Like clicking? Do you think it may just be swelling? It's def putting me off
I've had clicking shoulders at times over the years, could be form related (haven't had it in quite a while now, well before my home gym setup)

Maybe hit some scapula retraction exercises for some shoulder health, like face pulls?

When you guys train for pure strength, and your working sets rep total ends up being in the range of about 9-18 reps, do you do backoff sets? And more importantly, should you be doing them? If so, what do you like to do? I was thinking of adding them to my next workouts, so I hit 24-25 reps per main lift.

So, for instance, I might do something like 3x3 90% and then 2x8 @ 65-70% or something like that. I wonder if I'm not doing enough. I don't have this concern with accessory lifts and assistance work, where my rep target is 25-50 and sometimes 50-100 if I'm doing PR sets and drop the backoff sets.

When you guys train for pure strength, and your working sets rep total ends up being in the range of about 9-18 reps, do you do backoff sets? And more importantly, should you be doing them? If so, what do you like to do? I was thinking of adding them to my next workouts, so I hit 24-25 reps per main lift.

So, for instance, I might do something like 3x3 90% and then 2x8 @ 65-70% or something like that. I wonder if I'm not doing enough. I don't have this concern with accessory lifts and assistance work, where my rep target is 25-50 and sometimes 50-100 if I'm doing PR sets and drop the backoff sets.
Keep it simple with strength, I'll only do backoff sets on a hypertrophy day to reach fatigue if I want to target a particular exercise. Generally for bench or lat pulldowns or something I've done this for, I'll pyramid up, fatigue heavy, then scale back 10% per set until I'm wrecked, might do say 8-9 sets, last time I did this was in 2017 I think, started benching at 60kg for 10, then went up to 80 for 8, 90 for 7, 100 for 5, 100 for 4, back down to 80 for 6, 70 for 6, then 60 until close to failure (think I got 9). I was pretty sore the next 2 days.

2x8 should be for warm ups for your main lift, probably even more if you're going heavy, particularly for squatting or benching. If you're done with your 3x3 main lift but you want to get in more volume then change the exercise to an accessory exercise of your main lift. For example I will generally do some sort of incline press or a close grip press to hit my triceps/lockout after my main benching is done, if I had a dip attachment/stand I'd do dips too, occasionally I'll throw some push ups in. On deadlift day I'll do my sumos as my physio wants me to do, that's my main lift, then I'll probably do some sort of RDL afterwards be it DBs/KBs or BB and work in that 6-8 rep range.

Occasionally 3x3 at 90-95% is all you need on any particular day particularly if you're not leaving much in the tank (assuming you've pyramided up with 3-4 warm up sets previous to that and warmed your joints up), maybe work out an underutilised body part afterwards if not an accessory.

Having a good week so far

Got in a solid back sesh on Monday, nothing really to report there, but was a good pump and had DOMS yesterday

Then today, benched 110kg for 8, then 6 and 5 at 115kg, hit the incline bench afterwards 3x8 at 80kg, probably could've gone 90kg but would've likely done 3x5-6 then. Might have a heavy incline day in a few weeks, bench 100 then 87.5-97.5lb dumbbell presses

Keep it simple with strength, I'll only do backoff sets on a hypertrophy day to reach fatigue if I want to target a particular exercise. Generally for bench or lat pulldowns or something I've done this for, I'll pyramid up, fatigue heavy, then scale back 10% per set until I'm wrecked, might do say 8-9 sets, last time I did this was in 2017 I think, started benching at 60kg for 10, then went up to 80 for 8, 90 for 7, 100 for 5, 100 for 4, back down to 80 for 6, 70 for 6, then 60 until close to failure (think I got 9). I was pretty sore the next 2 days.

2x8 should be for warm ups for your main lift, probably even more if you're going heavy, particularly for squatting or benching. If you're done with your 3x3 main lift but you want to get in more volume then change the exercise to an accessory exercise of your main lift. For example I will generally do some sort of incline press or a close grip press to hit my triceps/lockout after my main benching is done, if I had a dip attachment/stand I'd do dips too, occasionally I'll throw some push ups in. On deadlift day I'll do my sumos as my physio wants me to do, that's my main lift, then I'll probably do some sort of RDL afterwards be it DBs/KBs or BB and work in that 6-8 rep range.

Occasionally 3x3 at 90-95% is all you need on any particular day particularly if you're not leaving much in the tank (assuming you've pyramided up with 3-4 warm up sets previous to that and warmed your joints up), maybe work out an underutilised body part afterwards if not an accessory.

Cool. What I've been doing is making sure I hit 24-25 total reps if the volume is low because the weight is heavy. I generally combine Zercher's and incline dumbbell press as two of my "main lifts." Then I'll do 25-50 reps (could be 50-100 if I mimick a Wendler anchor cycle) of push/pull/leg-core. I suppose that even if my main and secondary lifts cover 24-25 reps then that assistance work will give me a well-rounded volume.

I think a better question to ask would be how to combine a heavy Zercher with an incline DBB follow up and vice versa? So if I go heavy on the former, I don't go heavy on the latter until it's time to switch lifts. So, once a week I'd be doing heavy Zercher and heavy incline but also a moderate/light set-rep. Still not sure how to program light as I think there's a fine line between that and hypertrophy.

With deadlift and overhead I do those once a week, DL back off is always 60-70% and I usually do them because I don't like high DL volume for the main sets. OHP I stick to variations of 24 reps i.e. 8x3, 6x4, 5x5 etc.

Cool. What I've been doing is making sure I hit 24-25 total reps if the volume is low because the weight is heavy. I generally combine Zercher's and incline dumbbell press as two of my "main lifts." Then I'll do 25-50 reps (could be 50-100 if I mimick a Wendler anchor cycle) of push/pull/leg-core. I suppose that even if my main and secondary lifts cover 24-25 reps then that assistance work will give me a well-rounded volume.
That's totally fine

You could even do 3 working sets of singles or doubles of something and still do 3x6-8 of an accessory lift afterwards and get your 25 total reps in that way. I probably hit this method alot on deadlift day with sumos into RDLs, if I had a trap bar I'd probably go sumos into trap bar DLs also in a similar range. I generally find deadlifts are the one exercise I don't need alot of reps for and it'll still cook me and do what its supposed to do.

I think a better question to ask would be how to combine a heavy Zercher with an incline DBB follow up and vice versa? So if I go heavy on the former, I don't go heavy on the latter until it's time to switch lifts. So, once a week I'd be doing heavy Zercher and heavy incline but also a moderate/light set-rep. Still not sure how to program light as I think there's a fine line between that and hypertrophy.

With deadlift and overhead I do those once a week, DL back off is always 60-70% and I usually do them because I don't like high DL volume for the main sets. OHP I stick to variations of 24 reps i.e. 8x3, 6x4, 5x5 etc.
Do you do floor presses? Assuming you still don't have a flat bench. I occasionally do them, not a bad exercise, a little hard to go heavy with with dumbbells though getting them into position, but you get a better range of motion I find, just to change up the incline work. Push ups work too.

Do you do floor presses? Assuming you still don't have a flat bench. I occasionally do them, not a bad exercise, a little hard to go heavy with with dumbbells though getting them into position, but you get a better range of motion I find, just to change up the incline work. Push ups work too.

I used to do them. Took me a while to set up and get into position, I'd have to use plates as a "rack" and to elevate the bar before doing each set. Strangely enough, I suppose I could do them as an assistance exercise, and if loading heavy on incline DBB becomes an issue, I could swap them around as main/accessory lifts if I'm able to load up more on floor presses which I suspect I will be able to in the long-run. I mean, can already do more with floor pressing, but I seem to have gotten better chest development with incline even though it's less weight. Although, I never did hypertrophy with floor pressing except for PR sets.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think I'm aiming for 25-50 reps for a leg, push, pull, and core movement + cardio and that's my workout. Pull is easy to program for Zercher days - barbell rows. I like doing them. DL day is a little harder. I've been doing SLDL when I don't do DL back offs (which I might scrap), but I don't count that as pull volume, but leg volume. Don't have a pull-up bar. I don't row on DL day because it's not recommended. Curls I don't really count, and I only occasionally do them. I was thinking maybe T-Bar rows, and that's only because I once saw this old Wendler template, and on one of the days, he wrote pull-ups or t-bar rows.

I used to do them. Took me a while to set up and get into position, I'd have to use plates as a "rack" and to elevate the bar before doing each set. Strangely enough, I suppose I could do them as an assistance exercise, and if loading heavy on incline DBB becomes an issue, I could swap them around as main/accessory lifts if I'm able to load up more on floor presses which I suspect I will be able to in the long-run. I mean, can already do more with floor pressing, but I seem to have gotten better chest development with incline even though it's less weight. Although, I never did hypertrophy with floor pressing except for PR sets.
That's good to hear that the incline exercises are helping your chest development though, Arnold swore by the incline.

I hated those incline benches as a kid starting out, never had the strength as the angle was steep and I had limited leg drive as it was close to the floor, still don't prefer them these days. Failed when I was 16 about 6 months in to my gym days with just a pair of 15s a side (50kg), had to cry out for a guy to help me out

Eventually figured out that I could drag a bench over to the old power cage about a year later and could incline bench out of that at a far more comfortable lower angle. Funny at my old gym before I was at Derrimut, I hated their makeover, got rid of all the good old benches that just needed some new upholstery, the only improvement made was their new Olympic incline bench, angle wasn't as steep and was a bit higher from the ground, so was actually usable until I quit.

I think I'm aiming for 25-50 reps for a leg, push, pull, and core movement + cardio and that's my workout. Pull is easy to program for Zercher days - barbell rows. I like doing them. DL day is a little harder. I've been doing SLDL when I don't do DL back offs (which I might scrap), but I don't count that as pull volume, but leg volume. Don't have a pull-up bar. I don't row on DL day because it's not recommended. Curls I don't really count, and I only occasionally do them. I was thinking maybe T-Bar rows, and that's only because I once saw this old Wendler template, and on one of the days, he wrote pull-ups or t-bar rows.
Yep Tbar rows are good, I prefer them over barbell rows as I can get into a much better less compromised starting position

Barbell rows are probably the better overall exercise for back development, but with my body composition being tall and overweight I just feel like it's a bad position for the lower back. Much prefer cable bent over rows too as like the tbar rows I can manoeuvre myself to a better starting position.

Yep Tbar rows are good, I prefer them over barbell rows as I can get into a much better less compromised starting position

Barbell rows are probably the better overall exercise for back development, but with my body composition being tall and overweight I just feel like it's a bad position for the lower back. Much prefer cable bent over rows too as like the tbar rows I can manoeuvre myself to a better starting position.

Yeah, I feel like my form is actually pretty good with them, then again I'm usually doing something like 5x5 70kg BB rows so maybe my perspective will change when they get heavier (I take it easy with this, though, no rush to increase load). T-Bars I love, and I'm considering doing them on DL day unless some experts tell me otherwise.

Yeah, I feel like my form is actually pretty good with them, then again I'm usually doing something like 5x5 70kg BB rows so maybe my perspective will change when they get heavier (I take it easy with this, though, no rush to increase load). T-Bars I love, and I'm considering doing them on DL day unless some experts tell me otherwise.
As long as your lower back/hips isn't taxed from deadlifts then they'd be fine to do as your main accessory after deadlifts

Some people do deadlifts on back day, others on leg day, yours would be a back day. I've always been a leg day deadlifter except when I had to train back and legs together on Mondays for a while as I was pressed for time with cricket/footy when I was about 19-20. They were some absolutely HUGE Mondays back then, like 2 hour sessions, chin ups to warm up, deadlifts, lat pulldowns, rows, squats, leg presses, calf raises, hammy curls and leg extensions lol.

As long as your lower back/hips isn't taxed from deadlifts then they'd be fine to do as your main accessory after deadlifts

Some people do deadlifts on back day, others on leg day, yours would be a back day. I've always been a leg day deadlifter except when I had to train back and legs together on Mondays for a while as I was pressed for time with cricket/footy when I was about 19-20. They were some absolutely HUGE Mondays back then, like 2 hour sessions, chin ups to warm up, deadlifts, lat pulldowns, rows, squats, leg presses, calf raises, hammy curls and leg extensions lol.
... then 17 meals and 14 hours of sleep?
Shaysus

... then 17 meals and 14 hours of sleep?
Shaysus
Across the next few days, lel

Was doing 50-60 hour working weeks by then, gym was better for me timewise, wasn't rushed to get there after work and could amble in at 7-730-8 on Monday and Wednesday nights, though it was hard to fall asleep afterwards for 630 breakfast starts, did do late night Doherty sessions in Brunswick for a while also if I was on dinner shift (normally had 10am starts next day afterwards, but was 8am leading into Xmas). Most Thursday nights for training was good luck getting there on time. Normally found myself doing 4-5km runs of the surrounds as I'd only squeeze in half an hour in the nets or on the field. The joys of working hospitality and getting a Saturday off for sport.

Across the next few days, lel

Was doing 50-60 hour working weeks by then, gym was better for me timewise, wasn't rushed to get there after work and could amble in at 7-730-8 on Monday and Wednesday nights, though it was hard to fall asleep afterwards for 630 breakfast starts, did do late night Doherty sessions in Brunswick for a while also if I was on dinner shift (normally had 10am starts next day afterwards, but was 8am leading into Xmas). Most Thursday nights for training was good luck getting there on time. Normally found myself doing 4-5km runs of the surrounds as I'd only squeeze in half an hour in the nets or on the field. The joys of working hospitality and getting a Saturday off for sport.
Huge.
My legs have shrunk after doing lots of running and cycling during lockdown - I'm doing two leg days per week now and I swear I'm eating about 50% more than I was during lockdown.

Can anyone recommend a half decent power rack that won't break the bank?

Needs: squats, bench, deads, pull ups. ,obviously will get a wheel in bench for bench press.

Would prefer it not to have inbuilt plate holders as I need to preserve depth (will buy a free standing holder to put next to it).

Hey guy/girls , just after thoughts on what style of routine/program is best for putting on a bit of size? Whether it be push pull legs, Full Body or targeted muscle groups? Thanks

Hey guy/girls , just after thoughts on what style of routine/program is best for putting on a bit of size? Whether it be push pull legs, Full Body or targeted muscle groups? Thanks
Heavy compounds + a calorie surplus. It's not fancy or sexy, but it works.

Currently I'm working out int he mornings:
Monday Upper
Tuesday legs
Thursday upper
Friday legs

Monday is just chest & back, Thursday I may have a set each for bis and tris but sometimes not. If I get the chance I'll add an extra short session in for shoulders and arms. A little bit of ab work on leg day as well.

Heavy compounds + a calorie surplus. It's not fancy or sexy, but it works.

Currently I'm working out int he mornings:
Monday Upper
Tuesday legs
Thursday upper
Friday legs

Monday is just chest & back, Thursday I may have a set each for bis and tris but sometimes not. If I get the chance I'll add an extra short session in for shoulders and arms. A little bit of ab work on leg day as well.
Thanks mate, how many exercises would you do on chest and then on back?

Thanks mate, how many exercises would you do on chest and then on back?
2-3 generally.

Mondays - deadlifts, dumbell press, chin ups, either cable flies or hex press, a rowing exercise then incline push ups.

Thursdays it depends how I feel - if there's no arm day I might do 2 of each (weighted chin ups, dumbell press, Pendlay rows & flys/hex/push ups) then add a set of standing dumbell flies/curls/tricep pushdowns as isolation exercises are far less taxing.

First two exercises each day are my meat and potatoes though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back